O-line

delaigle

Our O-line has done a surprising and amazing job of protection. The only real complaint I have right now are some of the penalties (not including the bogus calls on Dahl). But, I could never, never in my wildest dreams have imagined they would do as well as they have.

Don't discredit the extremely good defense of Chicago, TB or Carolina. Those guys know their jobs and do it well. That line did a great job considering.

Have you been watching the games really, or just looking at the stat sheet, and getting all the info you need from there? This is 10 times the O-line it has been, and is getting better every week. Ryan's jersey is barely dirty after the game, and for an Atlanta QB, that is a blessing....

The Bears put 8 defenders in the box on the line of scrimage to totally stop the run. There strategy was to make a rookie quarterback protected by a rookie left tackle when it for a rookie coach. And that's exactly what all those rookies (with the substantial help of all those other Falcons) did. It was the same strategy that Tampa used successfully. The success of Turner and Norwood allow Matt to use the playfake into limited one on one coverage which is the best of all worlds if you can pass protect and give him time. In turn, Matt's continued success will now require them to drop their lilnebackers and safey which should loosen it up for the run. The line led by Coach Boudreaux, has been great and the play calling by Coach Malarkey has been excellent as well.

Have you been watching the games really, or just looking at the stat sheet, and getting all the info you need from there? This is 10 times the O-line it has been, and is getting better every week. Ryan's jersey is barely dirty after the game, and for an Atlanta QB, that is a blessing....

I watch the games, the only time I look at stats is to verify or disprove some of the things I read on this board.

Everyone seem to be misunderstanding what I trying to say. YES the O-line has done a great job this year, but it seems to be one way in each game. It either pass protects great OR it run blocks great. IT does not do both in in a single game.

I have been very pleased with the play of the OL. I really thought it was going to be a major weakness before the season. Coach Boudreaux has done an amazing job getting the most from these guys. He is obviously a great OL coach. Also remember the news from earlier this week that it looks as though we will be getting Foster back. The way this guy played last year before his injury, it can only help. I wouldn't look for him to step in and start as you don't want to disrupt the chemistry in the OL that has been built, but Foster will add quality depth at the position.

I watch the games, the only time I look at stats is to verify or disprove some of the things I read on this board.

Everyone seem to be misunderstanding what I trying to say. YES the O-line has done a great job this year, but it seems to be one way in each game. It either pass protects great OR it run blocks great. IT does not do both in in a single game.

green bay it did both (turner had 100 yds rushing TD, ryan had 2 TDs, 0 sacks), KC it did both (turner had 100 yds rushing 3 TD, ryan a TD, 0 sacks). detroit it did both (ryan had 100+ yds passing TD, 1 sack, ground game had 300 yds).

the run game just hasnt done well w/ 8 and 9 in the box, but when we've had 8 and 9 in the box the passing game has done pretty well.

:huh: Please elaborate. It sounds like you don't know much about the NFL.

the reason we look good agaisnt one or another is because when teams stack up 8 in the box agaisnt the run its the logical choice to pound the run anyways then throw...when teams don't stack 8 in the box theres not too many d's in the nfc that can stop both norwood and turner so in turn the running game looks good and we try to stick with that

I too don't think you've been paying attention to the Falcons O-line, They have played as good as any unit in the NFL. Sure they can improve, but no-one in their right mind would be thinking that we would have a top 5 rushing game and have our O-line give up Zero sacks in two striaght games against the Packers and the Bears.

I'm happy with em in short.

The line certainly hasn't been perfect, but they have played pretty well so far this year. I actually wanted to see more emphasis put on our offensive line in the offseason, and I have been very vocal about that till now. However, back to back games without a sack, and having the #2 rusher in the NFL have tempered my concerns.

If you understand defensive sets, then you'll understand why we may have success in one area oppose to another...

- When more defenders are on the line, the % of a pass play being successful is high...

- When less defenders are on the line, the % of a run play being successful is high...

When we went up against TB, CAR, and CHI...with the exception of CAR, we were successful in pass plays because of their focus on stopping the run or placing more defenders at the line.

When we went up againtst DET, KC, and GB...we were successful in both areas because those teams didn't just focus on one thing when trying to defend us, which in turn, gave us an opportunity to mix things up and confuse the defense.

If defenses are stacking the box, our passing game has to step up. If they are playing the pass, our running game has to step up. Each defense we play does something different, and that dictates how we play that game. The only way we are going to have balanced passing vs rushing is when the opposing defenses respect each aspect of our offense equally. When that happens, we will have a 100 yard rusher and 250 yard passer and the other team is doomed. We are building towards that now, but it is impossible to run successfully against 8-9 man fronts consistently. Once Matt has a few more passing games like Chicago, teams will realize that they can't just stack the box and then we're going to be dancing.