i thought jennkins wasnt fast

Explosive xero

I don't think the knock on Jenkins has ever been talent - it's been concentration and consistency. For every fantastic play he's made (and there have been quite a number over the years), it seems like there are at least three boneheaded ones (dropping perfect passes, running the wrong route, not competing for a jump ball, handing the ball directly to the DB, etc). If he can be more consistent on gameday, there's no doubt in my mind that he could be a very good WR for us...

I don't think the knock on Jenkins has ever been talent - it's been concentration and consistency. For every fantastic play he's made (and there have been quite a number over the years), it seems like there are at least three boneheaded ones (dropping perfect passes, running the wrong route, not competing for a jump ball, handing the ball directly to the DB, etc). If he can be more consistent on gameday, there's no doubt in my mind that he could be a very good WR for us...

i agree, and it's taking longer than it should for his position. roddy thought he was ready to breakout and even boasted during camp beginning his second season. turned out to be more of the same, especially when he made a horrible drop to lose the new orleans game. roddy just needs to tell MJ what it is he has been putting on his wheaties the past season or so.

CHALLENGE!!!!!

Please guys...

Make a list, please provide stats of some sort to validate what you are saying, right here, right now on what you think would validate, in your minds, as a #2 WR that has been on 3 consecutive, #1 in the league in Rushing and #2 in the league in Rushing this year respectfully. Did I mention this is his 5th year?

CHALLENGE!!!!!

Please guys...

Make a list, please provide stats of some sort to validate what you are saying, right here, right now on what you think would validate, in your minds, as a #2 WR that has been on 3 consecutive, #1 in the league in Rushing and #2 in the league in Rushing this year respectfully. Did I mention this is his 5th year?

The complaints I have about him have nothing to do with his limited touches - it's more what he does with the chances he's given...

Jenks has always had the physical talent it's just been his consistency that's been a problem in the past. It seems like he handles passes from Ryan very well and that will bode well for his immediate future as a Falcons WR.

Provide any stats that you may have. Compare his inconsistancies with any other #2 WR on a top 10 rushing team and tell me what you come away with....

I agree. He just needs to concentrate. MJ12 is the MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For me personally, I think Jenkins is a good receiver. He now has the benefit of working in a more team-oriented group where everybody is there for everybody else - and I think we'll see improvement. I've already seen improvement. He still misses some catches he should have easily - not sure if it's confidence - thinking ahead of the play - or what - and those have hurt us at times. But, he is a great blocker and regardless of what someone said on here - he is fast and he makes some great catches when we need them as well. I remember a lot of folks throwing Roddy under the bus here as well. The big thing is - he has definitely shown improvement. There was a time when he dropped way more than he caught. I say - give him just a little more time - he's coming around. He just has to stay alert and in the play every time, and he is improving in that area.

jenkins has good speed but he is lacking in the quickness department.

If you've noticed, Jenkins is definately a role player, due to the offense we ran under Mora. He's not gonna get you Roddy numbers, but this guy is a beast on possession receiptions, special teams play and down field blocking. He does need to learn to catch the ball over his shoulder. B)

no way he ran a 4.3 at the combine he would have gone as a higher pick if he had.

he is about a 4.5-4.6 guy

Michael Jenkins....4.38

Check it out.

Atlanta Falcons

The Falcons planned a strong need-based draft, and they were thrilled when Virginia Tech CB DeAngelo Hall was available at the No. 8 spot. Hall had visited with general manager Rich McKay and head coach Jim Mora prior to the draft and said that Atlanta was where he wanted to play. The Falcons love his quickness and speed, and they believe he will bring a swagger to the secondary that has been missing. He also figures to play a big role in the Falcons’ return game next season. Atlanta also traded up with the Colts to snag Ohio State WR Michael Jenkins, who is blazing fast (4.38) and gives QB Michael Vick a big target (6-foot-4) who can go up and grab high passes. Jenkins is a gamebreaking receiver who will complement WR Peerless Price and battle for a starting job. The Falcons added a backup quarterback by selecting Virginia’s Matt Schaub in the third round, and his accuracy and leadership will provide a security blanket in the Falcons’ West Coast attack. McKay addressed the team’s need for more depth at linebacker by selecting OLB Demorrio Williams out of Nebraska and added a run-stopping defensive tackle by nabbing LSU’s Chad Lavalais in the fifth round. Lavalais has good strength and will play into defensive coordinator Ed Donatell’s speed-based scheme well. Southern Miss S Etric Pruitt is another athlete on defense, but he is raw and needs to play the ball better in the air. West Virginia RB Quincy Wilson provides a power runner who could get a look as a goal-line back in a crowded backfield.

Let's stay with the facts guys.....

I think Jenkins main problem is that he spent two years learning to block under the Mora era and his receiving skills got rusty. That delayed Roddy's learning curve, except Roddy was only under that regime for one season, whereas Jenkins was for 2 years. I think Jenkins has talent, he has potential, we just won't see it while he's here. Before you jump all over me, let me explain.

1) Roddy is better, hands down, no if's and's or but's. So Jenkins will never get the most targets on the team.

2) Laurent Robinson is younger, faster, a better route runner, and has better hands. Jenkins is stronger, taller, and more durable though. Jenkins is a better blocker in the run game, which will get him some playing time. But when he's healthy, Robinson's receiving skills will take away some of Jenkin's targets in the passing game.

3) Harry Douglas is showing very impressive potential as our slot #3 receiver. He has already made some very impressive catches and our OC is trying to get him the ball more. As every week goes by, I think we'll see him targeted more and more.

4) We are a running team. We are tied for dead last in the NFL for pass attempts per game at 26.8, so we will never have two receivers with #1 like statistics (Arizona, NE, Cincy, etc).

5) Jenkins only has 1 more year left on his contract. He doesn't have much time left to turn it around. The coaching staff knows this, so more than likely they are going to try to get the other WR's more involved to see where we stand with the position before deciding what to do with him (trade, release, re-sign).

He has had an opportunity to take charge of the #2 WR position with Robinson's injury, but other than his TD catch at the beginning of the season and his sideline grab in this past game, he hasn't stood out as a key component to this offense.

I think Jenkins main problem is that he spent two years learning to block under the Mora era and his receiving skills got rusty. That delayed Roddy's learning curve, except Roddy was only under that regime for one season, whereas Jenkins was for 2 years. I think Jenkins has talent, he has potential, we just won't see it while he's here. Before you jump all over me, let me explain.

1) Roddy is better, hands down, no if's and's or but's. So Jenkins will never get the most targets on the team.

Yes. Roddy is better at what he does. They are two different types of WRs. Agree.

2) Laurent Robinson is younger, faster, a better route runner, and has better hands. Jenkins is stronger, taller, and more durable though. Jenkins is a better blocker in the run game, which will get him some playing time. But when he's healthy, Robinson's receiving skills will take away some of Jenkin's targets in the passing game.

I don't understand how you can say that after 1 year in the league, L.Robinson will prove himself over Jenkins....disagree

3) Harry Douglas is showing very impressive potential as our slot #3 receiver. He has already made some very impressive catches and our OC is trying to get him the ball more. As every week goes by, I think we'll see him targeted more and more.

This is not an issue for M. Jenkins....

4) We are a running team. We are tied for dead last in the NFL for pass attempts per game at 26.8, so we will never have two receivers with #1 like statistics (Arizona, NE, Cincy, etc).

This is all I've been saying. So why are people suspecting that L. Robinson is gonna do sooooo much better?

5) Jenkins only has 1 more year left on his contract. He doesn't have much time left to turn it around. The coaching staff knows this, so more than likely they are going to try to get the other WR's more involved to see where we stand with the position before deciding what to do with him (trade, release, re-sign).

Totally false..."Turn it Around???" He's solid and the coaches know that. Disagree

He has had an opportunity to take charge of the #2 WR position with Robinson's injury, but other than his TD catch at the beginning of the season and his sideline grab in this past game, he hasn't stood out as a key component to this offense.

What about that grab at the end of the GB game??? What about his 16.1 per catch average? What about 9 for 12 on 3rd down grabs...?

Yes. Roddy is better at what he does. They are two different types of WRs. Agree.

I don't understand how you can say that after 1 year in the league, L.Robinson will prove himself over Jenkins....disagree

This is not an issue for M. Jenkins....

This is all I've been saying. So why are people suspecting that L. Robinson is gonna do sooooo much better?

Totally false..."Turn it Around???" He's solid and the coaches know that. Disagree

What about that grab at the end of the GB game??? What about his 16.1 per catch average? What about 9 for 12 on 3rd down grabs...?

1) I agree they are different types of WR's. My point being that he will never get the most targets, limiting his opportunities to prove himself in the passing game.

2) I didn't say Laurent Robinson will prove himself over Jenkins. My point was that Robinson will be getting some opportunities in the passing game further limiting Jenkin's targets. Robinson is also under contract longer, so his evaluation will determine how much need we have for Jenkins. That's all I'm saying, I'm not saying what will happen.

3) Anything that's going to give targets to a different player is going to limit Jenkin's opportunities in the passing game. That's true and that's just common sense.

4) I don't know if Robinson will do any better than Jenkins. My point again was the limited opportunities for Jenkins to prove himself with receptions.

5) I was talking specifically to the receiving portion of his wide receiver duties. He was drafted in the first to be a #1 WR. "Turn it around" refers to the fact that it hasn't happened and all points above were why it never will happen.

Regarding your last statement, he has 13 catches in 6 games. He has made a few critical catches. I give him credit for that. But 2 catches a game is not what you expect from a first rounder. I like his contributions in the running game and I like the catches he's made. I'm not saying cut him, I'm not saying re-sign him. The only thing I'm saying is that he will not have an opportunity to "turn it around" with his receiving statistics and that will have an affect on his next contract and "could" have an affect on where he goes on the depth chart.