I have to euthanize my cat later today

Herr Beast

My cat was losing weight at a rapid pace in the last couple of months, down to 5-6 lbs from 11. He was still eating well and much but he kept on losing weight. I tried everything, went to the doctor, but nothing helped. He is so skinny that you can see his back bones THROUGH his fur. Even though, he acted normal... but in the last two weeks, he became more and more passive. Two days ago then, he stopped doing anything... didn´t eat, didn´t move, he is just sitting in his place, looking on the ground... he doesn´t react on anything... every couple of hours, he tries to stand up, moves a yard and collapses and then just lies down.

It´s terrible, he is a big fighter, which makes it worse. We both went through tough times the last 7 years and heck, he usually did much better than I did. But now I have to euthanize him today, that makes me crazy mad. Some nice words would be appreciated because I have really big trouble "sending him away forever". I don´t go to work today, just can´t. This sucks so much

My cat was losing weight at a rapid pace in the last couple of months, down to 5-6 lbs from 11. He was still eating well and much but he kept on losing weight. I tried everything, went to the doctor, but nothing helped. He is so skinny that you can see his back bones THROUGH his fur. Even though, he acted normal... but in the last two weeks, he became more and more passive. Two days ago then, he stopped doing anything... didn´t eat, didn´t move, he is just sitting in his place, looking on the ground... he doesn´t react on anything... every couple of hours, he tries to stand up, moves a yard and collapses and then just lies down.

It´s terrible, he is a big fighter, which makes it worse. We both went through tough times the last 7 years and heck, he usually did much better than I did. But now I have to euthanize him today, that makes me crazy mad. Some nice words would be appreciated because I have really big trouble "sending him away forever". I don´t go to work today, just can´t. This sucks so much

I've been there - I was given a puppy for my 1st birthday and she lived to be 15, It was like losing my sister

I feel so bad for you - but I know it was a great 7 years and so does he

that really sucks man. back in july, i had to have my oldest cat put down for various medical problems that we had been treating her for, for about a year. it got to where she was going a couple times a month and the only thing left was high dollar x rays and depending on what they showed, it could have been very pricey fixes. the vet said that euthanasia was a definite option and felt that my cat was "more than qualified" (for lack of a better term) to be put down as they felt that i had done just about everything for her that i could. it was to the point where she had uncontrollable bowels, couldn't move either, was eating very much, and was getting very dehydrated. this thanksgiving, she would have been 21. it came down to "do i want to continue doing all of this for her in hopes that she lives another 3 months, 10 months, 2 years, or however long" or since she's been going down hill over the past year, "do i want to cherish the memories and do what i thought would be the humane thing to do so that she didn't have to live a life of pain." she was there for e for 21 years, so i opted to ease her pain. no doubt the toughest decision that i've ever made.

if the vet gives you the option to stay with your cat while they put them down, i'd recommend staying and being there for your cat one last time. best of luck to you today though!

People who have not truly loved a pet will never understand. They are far more than "just a cat or dog" to the people who love them. I am very sorry for this. My animals are knocking on the door of 10 years old (we originally got 4 dogs and three cats at the same time) we've lost two of the cats already and I still can't believe how much I miss them. You are doing the right thing though, I could not bring myself to put down one of my cats who had similar symptoms as yours. He died painfully because of my selfishness. You obviously gave this guy a great life and he enhanced yours, that will bring a lot more comfort than you might think.

It will be tough on you, no doubt about that. You have my best wishes and sincerest sympathy.

I doubt this will help much but you are doing the right thing. I would also suggest going to the SPCA, sometime. You could follow this bad experience with saving a deserving pets life and find another great companion! I sure hope so. Good luck!

Excellent advice, The SPCA is a great organization and helping to save another life is more therapeutic for this type grief than anything else I can imagine.

By any chance...

What were you feeding him?

Ever since that Pet food scare awhile back, I upgraded the food the cats in my rescue group were getting, but I think the damage had already been done.

Already lost 4 to the same description you posted and have 3 more that are dropping weight FAST and so far Vets have had no luck with any medication in stopping the loss and diahrea

Thanks for all your comments. He is now resting in peace. I am glad he has no longer to suffer but I feel so empty and sad like when my father died some years ago. It´s really crazy to feel like that about a pet but the little fella was really something special for me. At the lowest point of my life seven years ago, he suddenly was at my door, obviously lost and nearly starved to death. So I took him in and he just stayed. I am not a religious person by any means but like a miracle he came at the absolutely worst time of my life and even though I and my place was a mess, he was more than grateful for the home I could offer him. He really helped me through the **** I was in. And things got better, he got fatter (before he got ill) but now he is gone and I feel as bad as the day before he came.

I always had pets when I was a child and it was always "kinda sad" but this hurts terrible. I guess I will go to the "Tierheim" (guess that is what you have in the states as SPCA) in some weeks or months, Though I doubt I will ever find a cat again that acts like a dog, like the little one did when he always growled at the person I had an argument with.

And not even a Falcons game this weekend

By any chance...

What were you feeding him?

Ever since that Pet food scare awhile back, I upgraded the food the cats in my rescue group were getting, but I think the damage had already been done.

Already lost 4 to the same description you posted and have 3 more that are dropping weight FAST and so far Vets have had no luck with any medication in stopping the loss and diahrea

He got regular cat food of all kinds. He was a good eater with an extraordinary appetide, I guess because he had to fight for survival before I got him. But he never really got fat or so. But he actually eat more when the weight loss started, in the end I had to spend 100€ per month on cat food and he still got thiner every day. No medication helped but that came as no surprise since nobody could ever made an exact diagnosis. The vet just told me his weight was just 2.7 kg, that is less than 6 pounds. That like a 6"5 person at 100 lbs.

I am so sorry to hear that. I hate to hear of any animal suffering. Kudos to you for showing that you actually love and care for your cat.

I love my Jack Russell Terrier and I am constantly monitoring him (he's only 3). He wasn't eating as he should in the past two days. He has stomach troubles from time to time. He did eat a little this morning though. The previous night, I squeezed some antiacid down his throat :D He hated it, but it seemed to have helped.

I'm going to make sure that he eats a full meal this evening when I get home from work.

I am so sorry to hear that. I hate to hear of any animal suffering. Kudos to you for showing that you actually love and care for your cat.

I love my Jack Russell Terrier and I am constantly monitoring him (he's only 3). He wasn't eating as he should in the past two days. He has stomach troubles from time to time. He did eat a little this morning though. The previous night, I squeezed some antiacid down his throat :D He hated it, but it seemed to have helped.

I'm going to make sure that he eats a full meal this evening when I get home from work.

I hope to god the doctor told you to do that because you should never give your animal anything like that without a doctors word.

Feed the little one a few scoops of canned pumkin. Mix it with something tasty if you have to. They are like little kids that need to potty sometimes. Pumpkin is good fiber for them.

Sorry to hear. My thoughts are with you. I got teared up reading this, I always do when its about animals because they're helpless to fix their own problems and rely on the goodness of people. Some people don't understand the bonds you can form with animals. My little Chihuahua came to me at a similar time in my life when I was going through some stuff. I was getting out of the military after 5 years in spec ops as a forward air controller and I was a total hard azz, no heart. She has taught me more about compassion and caring for others more than anything else. I don't know what kind of person I would be without her.

Try to rest easy with the fact that you made your little buddy's life much better just by being his owner and caring for him as much as you did and do......... ;)

My condolences friend.......