11 secs 3 plays

gjlaf

Just curious how often has a team been able to run three plays in 11 seconds with out calling a time out?

Atlanta ran a kick off return...pass play...field goal in 11 seconds with out using a time out. They didn't get a huge kick return and didn't really throw a hail mary.

Just curious...66 yards, three plays, no time outs, game winning drive... sound pretty impressive to me. Is there any other games you guys have seen like that?

Remember no long kick returns...No hail mary's...no time outs used...11 secs!

Three Words: Home Time Keeper, gotta love them, even though the Atlanta Hawks have screwed the Raptors, and a few other teams, I give the Falcons the benefit on the doubt lol!

I'm still pissed about that Raptors game. I'll enjoy them destroying the Hawks this season though ;)

Three Words: Home Time Keeper, gotta love them, even though the Atlanta Hawks have screwed the Raptors, and a few other teams, I give the Falcons the benefit on the doubt lol!

There is no timekeeper. The officials on the field keep track of the time with stopwatches.

dude, please, if you have followed much football you woukld know that the Official Time is kept on the field by the officials.

The scoreboard is NOT the Official time.

dude, please, if you have followed much football you woukld know that the Official Time is kept on the field by the officials.

The scoreboard IS the official time. They don't micromanage it like they do in the NBA

Just curious how often has a team been able to run three plays in 11 seconds with out calling a time out?

Atlanta ran a kick off return...pass play...field goal in 11 seconds with out using a time out. They didn't get a huge kick return and didn't really throw a hail mary.

Just curious...66 yards, three plays, no time outs, game winning drive... sound pretty impressive to me. Is there any other games you guys have seen like that?

Remember no long kick returns...No hail mary's...no time outs used...11 secs!

It wasn't 66 yards- they squib kicked it to the Atl 34, Time doesn't start til receiving team touches the ball. Douglas returned it 10 yards to the 44, Ryan threw a 26 yard pass to jenkins who immediately stepped out of bounds stopping the clock with 1 second left. That's 36 yards in 10 seconds and 2 plays. Not that outrageous.

That's from the ESPN play by play.

Did anyone ever stop to think that if Douglas had been a step or two faster he would have not been tackled and would have run more time of the clock, not leaving the 6 seconds for that last pass.

Another oddity, in his interview Elam said he saw 2 sec left on the clock, which one was he looking at?

Did anyone ever stop to think that if Douglas had been a step or two faster he would have not been tackled and would have run more time of the clock, not leaving the 6 seconds for that last pass.

Another oddity, in his interview Elam said he saw 2 sec left on the clock, which one was he looking at?

I thought that as well. There was a lot of talk of HD's brilliant play to get down, but I have a hunch if he gets around the end he keeps going. My other hunch though, is that if he keeps going, he makes some moves and gets us in FG range all by himself.

I saw what Elam saw. All the highlight shows talk about the home cookin' with the clock, but the clock also should have stopped at 2 seconds. Either way you look at it, we ran that play in 5 seconds.

There is no timekeeper. The officials on the field keep track of the time with stopwatches.

Wrong

------------------

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/timing

"The stadium game clock is official. In case it stops or is operating incorrectly, the Line Judge takes over the official timing on the field. "

Now go away

That solves that.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/timing

"The stadium game clock is official. In case it stops or is operating incorrectly, the Line Judge takes over the official timing on the field. "

Now go away

I know that's what the rule says BUT if the stadium clock is official how can the ref keep having it reset during the game and how does he know how much it is off?? ie "Please reset the game clock to 5:45" or "Please reset the play clock to 15 sec" where is he getting his info from if the stadium clock is official??

Delaigle - the stadium clock is official unless there is a malfunction - then the line Judge takes over. We had this conversation a few days ago. However, the point everyone is missing here is this - THE CLOCK IS RUN BY NFL OFFICIALS - NOT THE HOME TEAM.

When you see them asking to reset - it is usually because they have seen the clock continue running after a time-out, etc. - they review it and they will ask the clock to be reset.

There is no "home-cooking" as people would like to call it - how the H.LL would the stadium clock know how much time to tick off by itself - and there IS an NFL official running it.

Get over it people!

Back to the point of the original poster. Yes, a lot of things went perfectly right for us. Usually, when a team is receiving a kickoff, there's less than 20 or so seconds and the team is within a FG or less, it's pretty much game over. Most often, you can just go ahead and change the channel. Everyone squib kicks the kickoff to keep the ball out of the hands of the main returner and pretty much one play later and the game is over.

I thought it was pretty amazing myself. For some reason though, we controlled that entire game so well, there was never one instant of doubt in my mind that we were going to win. Even after they scored that last TD with 11 seconds, I just knew we'd figure out a way to bring it back. I'm never the optimistic type, so who knows why I was this week. If that works though, I may have to try that approach more often.

But yes, to do that in 11 seconds was amazing. There were a couple of things that really helped us though. If Chicago would have been less exhuberant about tackling HD and would have just coralled him to the ground instead of a diving tackle or if Chicago would have had a better KO return plan, HD probably shouldn't have gone down until only a few seconds left on the clock and we'd have only been able to throw a Hail Mary from midfield or so.

Also, if anyone noticed, there was at least one DB within about 10 yards of the WR off the line of scrimmage. He should have been backed up a good 20-25 yards off. It was like they were in their base defensive formation and not utilizing any type of prevent defense where the DBs are backed well off the LOS. I'm figuring they had the same set on the other side of the field, so when Jenkins blew downfield, the CB was left lingering along the LOS. Basically, all the up close DBs were taken out of the play, almost as if they were trying to prevent a dump pass into the flats.

I have no idea what they were doing, but I was just jumping up and down screaming YES YES YES the whole time. Now normally, I have to use the replay and rewatch certain aspects of the game to see these types of mistakes, and often after they are pointed out to me, but for some reason, a lot of Chicago's major blunders within the last 11 seconds were extremely evident. The only other time I've ever had that much clarity in what was going on was when we played the Vikings in the NCS game. Once they knealed at near midfield without attempting to outright win the game, I knew they were in for a world of regret.

Sort of like walking the pitcher in a baseball game to load the bases for the leadoff guy.

celtik