Nic Harris, SS, Oklahoma

With a quiet senior year, Nic Harris is falling on many draft boards in favor of the safeties you've all been hearing of - Mays, Moore, Rolle, Chancellor, Chung, etc.

Harris is 6'3, 228 lbs and runs a 4.5 40 yard dash.

I think he can be had in the 3rd round of the draft - maybe even the 4th - and I would draft him to play WLB.

Here is why:

He is very active in the run game. This is courtesy of Walterfootball.com: "2007: Nic Harris, a key component of Oklahoma's secondary, is exceptional at locking down against the run. He started eight games as a sophomore, registering three sacks and four picks."

His 2006 stats are as follows: 2006: 14 GP; 8 GS; 40 Sol-68 TT, 8 TFL, 3 SK, 4 INT, 8 PBU, 5 QBH.

As you can see, he had 68 total tackles, 8 tackles for loss, 3 sacks, and 5 QB hurries which are all great numbers for a WLB - plus he had 8 passes broken up and 4 interceptions which is great for a Cover 2 OLB.

His 2007 stats are as follows: 2007: 14 GP; 13 GS; 50 Sol-74 TT, 9.5 TFL, 3.5 SK, 2 INT, 7 PBU, 1 QBH, 2 FF.

Again very impressive numbers with 74 total tackles, 9.5 being for losses, 3.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles and 1 QB hurry. 7 more broken up passes and 2 more interceptions.

In the three games I've seen him play at safety this year, he has had 0 tackles, 3 tackles, and 6 tackles - being his biggest game. 0 interceptions. His speed, clocking in from 4.5 to 4.65, is a concern for scouts at the safety position. I think he would be a great project at OLB for a Cover 2 defense. The least he could become is a great special teams player and great depth at safety and OLB.

Thoughts?

He's not that big though and if a blocker gets on him he's pretty much done...

Keith Brooking: 6'2, 241 lbs

Stephen Nicholas: 6'3, 232 lbs

Tony Gilbert: 6'0, 238 lbs

Coy Wire: 6'0, 228 lbs

Curtis Lofton: 6'0, 248 lbs

Michael Boley: 6'3, 223 lbs

Nic Harris: 6'3, 228 lbs.

He's not that big? He'd be one of our biggest LBs and he could stand to put on some weight without losing any speed. I don't see where you were going with that one.

Keith Brooking: 6'2, 241 lbs

Stephen Nicholas: 6'3, 232 lbs

Tony Gilbert: 6'0, 238 lbs

Coy Wire: 6'0, 228 lbs

Curtis Lofton: 6'0, 248 lbs

Michael Boley: 6'3, 223 lbs

Nic Harris: 6'3, 228 lbs.

He's not that big? He'd be one of our biggest LBs and he could stand to put on some weight without losing any speed. I don't see where you were going with that one.

I didn't realize our LB's were so malnourished. Still has he ever played LB? It's gonna take time for him to adjust. If he does it well then that might not be too bad. Why do you want him at LB though when we need a SS? Why not just use him at SS?

I didn't realize our LB's were so malnourished.

Lol :lol:

Still has he ever played LB? It's gonna take time for him to adjust. If he does it well then that might not be too bad. Why do you want him at LB though when we need a SS? Why not just use him at SS?

I don't like his speed for a SS and from what I've seen this year he will have to move to OLB at the next level.

No he has never played LB and I know it will take him time to adjust - which is why I said it would be an experiment. Nicholas has two years (this year and next year) to prove his worth at the WLB position. By year 2 we would be able to see if Harris is ready to play. If Nicholas shows he is good, we can still use him as an OLB on passing downs and have him as valuable depth and for special teams.