5 Star CB Sets visit to UGA & noticing coaching issues helping other teams..

SacFalcFan

State’s No. 1 prospect Branden Smith schedules official visit with UGA

By Michael Carvell | Wednesday, October 15, 2008, 11:03 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Booker T. Washington cornerback Branden Smith, who is ranked as the state’s No. 1 prospect by numerous recruiting publications, has scheduled his official visit for Georgia on Dec. 12.

“I just got off the phone with [Georgia recruiting coordinator Rodney Garner] a few minutes ago,” Smith said.

“Coach Garner has always wanted me to take my official visit when Georgia has its football banquet. I guess he just found out the exact date for the banquet, so we set up my visit for that same weekend.”

Smith said Garner reiterated three things that he has said all along: Georgia will sign one more cornerback, he is the team’s No. 1 target at that position, and the Bulldogs will hold a scholarship for as long as Smith needs to make a decision.

“It seems like everybody wants me to go to Georgia.”

“I played with [Georgia sophomore safety Reshad Jones] when I was in ninth grade. It was one of the best experiences of my life. He shut down one side of the field and I’d shut down the other.

“That’s what everybody loves to see, when Georgia boys stick together … there’s a lot of people that would love to see Reshad and me playing together again in college.”

After Smith opened up about his feelings toward Georgia, he quickly pointed out that he still has no favorites and is considering all options. Smith made his first official visit last weekend, traveling to Florida.

Smith’s other recruiting trips are planned for Tennessee on Oct. 25, Auburn on Nov. 15, and Florida State (replacing Clemson) on Nov. 29.

Wednesday was a big day for UGA’s recruiting efforts. Wide receiver Marlon Brown of Memphis, who took an official visit to Georgia for the Alabama game, revealed that he is paying his way for a return trip to look closer at the Bulldogs.

Montez Robinson is now reopening up recruiting due to the coaching issues at auburn as is Tight End Philip Lutzenkirchen.

Philip Lutzenkirchen is going to be visiting some other schools in the near future he said.

Montez Robinson is now visiting UGA and Alabama who both want him real bad. That should be a good battle for him. In the end IMO he is at Bama. Both players cited questions about the coaching situation at Auburn. Philip like Tony Franklin a lot.

Marlon Brown is even more open to UGA and other schools now. Fulmer's job security which is openly in question has hurt their recruiting of him. Marlon Brown is heading out to UGA for anothre unofficial to go over our basketball program with our coaches. UGA is in the thick of it with Marlon Brown.

When Rivals250 defensive end Montez Robinson pledged his commitment to Auburn earlier in the fall, it marked one of the few head-to-head battles that Alabama has lost to their in-state rival in recruiting.

With the news that this pass-rushing terror is visiting the Capstone this weekend on an official visit, however, Alabama may be back in business for his commitment.

"I am heading down to the Alabama-Ole Miss game this weekend, and I am going to meet up with some cousins and some old friends," said Robinson who stands 6-foo-t5, 235-pounds. "Alabama has never really stopped recruiting me. Coach Saban still stays in contact and they want me bad to come and be a pass-rushing threat for them. They like me at the Jack linebacker position and that has always been a position that has interested me. I like the plan that Alabama would have for me if I go there."

With the scheduled visit, has things changed with Robinson's commitment to Auburn?

"I could be opening my recruitment back up," said Robinson who was named to the Rivals250 list this week. "Part of it is that I want to see how things turn out at Auburn. I know they are struggling and have had some things going on with their coaches. I just need to keep my options open."

Part of the plan for Robinson includes another SEC official visit in November.

"I am planning on going to the Georgia-Georgia Tech game too," said Robinson. "Georgia didn't stop recruiting me either when I committed to Auburn and I really like their program a lot. They are going to be losing some defensive linemen to graduation so their is an opportunity there for me as well."

In the meantime, Robinson is focused on his Avon High School squad which is preparing for the start of the playoffs.

"We got an early start on our season compared to the rest of the country so we are starting the playoffs this week," said Robinson. "I have had a pretty good season so far. I have about eight sacks and feel quicker and stronger this year. I am also playing tight end but I am mostly just blocking."

Robinson is the 13th-ranked strongside defensive end nationally per Rivals.

Brandon Smith is a great prospect, plays both sides of the ball. Just a tremendous athlete. From what i hear is a great punt returner as well. Not to mention has the fastest man in atlanta label when he ran a 10.6 in the 100 meters.. Im hoping that bama picks up a commit from Dre K, who's another great talent at that position.

Nice quote from Smith!

“That’s what everybody loves to see, when Georgia boys stick together … there’s a lot of people that would love to see Reshad and me playing together again in college.”

Brandon Smith is a great prospect, plays both sides of the ball. Just a tremendous athlete. From what i hear is a great punt returner as well. Not to mention has the fastest man in atlanta label when he ran a 10.6 in the 100 meters.. Im hoping that bama picks up a commit from Dre K, who's another great talent at that position.

Nice quote from Smith!

Yeah he is terrific. He is a bonafide playmaker and i expect the dawgs to use him on offense and defense like they did champ bailey.. Dre K is bama's to lose.. After smith at booker T is another recruit name goodwin who uga is after.. a WR.. very talented..

Great News. Let's concentrate on Brown and Smith. We need Wide Receivers and Corner help really bad.

and Williams Campbell.. let's steal him.. 5 star DT come on down!!!

Williams Campbell’s head coach picked up the phone today and called south to Georgia to let them know that his top player was interested in hearing more from them.

“I had class so I couldn’t talk with them,” Campbell admitted.

But the bruising prospect wants to know more about the program he’s seen so much of thanks to national television.

“I like how their linemen,” he said. “I want to know more about Georgia. I have been to Athens a few times because my cousin lives down there, but I’ve never really looked at the school itself.

In the midst of his city’s playoffs, Campbell has been unable to take trips to colleges. In Detroit they play high school football on Saturdays. He said he is unclear if he will have a chance to go to schools over the next few weekends because of the unclear nature of the playoffs in Michigan. That has not prevented him from taking note of Georgia’s 2008 season.

“I started seeing Georgia on TV a few weeks ago when they had that Blackout,” Campbell said. “I saw all of that fan support – it made me interested.”

Michigan is recruiting Campbell hard as are a number of schools that have offered him. He rattled off several schools – including the SEC’s Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee.

“I have not taken any official visits yet,” Campbell said. “I am trying to get down to Georgia for an official visit, but I am not sure when I can get down there. I would like to hurry up and get down there during the season. The SEC, I like it because every game is a big a game, and it seems like a lot of their games are in prime time.”

As far as picking a school is concerned, Campbell quickly knew the top thing on his list – education.

“The first thing I am looking for is the education,” he said. “I want to know that they have nice Alumni. I want a chance to play early and a chance to win rings.”

Do you know when Starling will commit?

With 6 spots left I hope we get:

1. Branden Smith

2. Marlon Brown

3. Jawanza Starling

4. Andre Debose (I think he will be a Gators)

5. Bobby Massie

6. William Campbell

Sac, Can you give a percent of UGA getting each guy?

Starling will commit closer to signing day.. I think he ends up somewhere else and not georgia.

1. Braden Smith 75%

2. Marlon Brown 45%

3. Starling 25%

4. Andre Debose 5%

5. Bobby Massie 60%

6. William Campbell 15%

Starling will commit closer to signing day.. I think he ends up somewhere else and not georgia.

1. Braden Smith 75%

2. Marlon Brown 45%

3. Starling 25%

4. Andre Debose 5%

5. Bobby Massie 60%

6. William Campbell 15%

Wow those are some really tough prospect to reel in.

We need Starling and Smith really bad. Is there any chance if Smith can play receiver and CB for UGA? Do a little Devin Hester. Smith has the speed we need in a deep threat.

Brown can really help our passing game.

Wow those are some really tough prospect to reel in.

We need Starling and Smith really bad. Is there any chance if Smith can play receiver and CB for UGA? Do a little Devin Hester. Smith has the speed we need in a deep threat.

Brown can really help our passing game.

they are very tough, but uga has a great staff who are great at recruiting as well as coaching. We need smith bad, but not sure about needing starling bad.. frankly i would rather take just 1 Safety this year and be happy with it.. we have a bunch of young safeties right now.. I would rather take another cb and just 1 safety in williams. i saw above that i felt branden smith would be a champ bailey type player.. except much faster... we could use a wr like marlon brown, but also he is very good at playin basketball so he could help us in both areas..

they are very tough, but uga has a great staff who are great at recruiting as well as coaching. We need smith bad, but not sure about needing starling bad.. frankly i would rather take just 1 Safety this year and be happy with it.. we have a bunch of young safeties right now.. I would rather take another cb and just 1 safety in williams. i saw above that i felt branden smith would be a champ bailey type player.. except much faster... we could use a wr like marlon brown, but also he is very good at playin basketball so he could help us in both areas..

We sure do need help in Basketball. He look like a Shooting Guard. Can really help us there. Who is our current Starting Shooting guard?

Branden Smith to Georgia would be the icing an already impressive class. I don't remember the last recruit out of Georgia that had as much speed as Branden. Bobbie Massie (whom I wasn't all that impressed with) at this time last year, would be a good pick-up as well. He seems to have blossomed into a premier LT and Lord knows how badly we need true OT's. Hope Marlon makes his way to Athens as well.

Brandon Smith is a great prospect, plays both sides of the ball. Just a tremendous athlete. From what i hear is a great punt returner as well. Not to mention has the fastest man in atlanta label when he ran a 10.6 in the 100 meters..

No doubt that smith is the fastest player in the state. He finished 2nd last year in the 100 meters at state in his classification. The guy who beat him set the state record at 10.31 and is now at Mississippi State on a track scholarship. Smith would have won any of the other classifications hands down.

Just now reading this Sac. Good reads. Montez Robinson was probably Auburn's best commitment and the TE was one of the best. Whoever gets Robinson is going to get a heck of a player.

Also, I think Alabama and UGA are locked in a battle for Massie. Probably a UGA lean at this point, as you referenced above.

Just now reading this Sac. Good reads. Montez Robinson was probably Auburn's best commitment and the TE was one of the best. Whoever gets Robinson is going to get a heck of a player.

Also, I think Alabama and UGA are locked in a battle for Massie. Probably a UGA lean at this point, as you referenced above.

bama lead for massie, but with uga commit there toby jackson they are becoming very good friends and uga leads now and he grew up a big dawg fan since he was a kid. I hope we get massie, he would play pretty early for us.. montez is a tossup right now, but i think he ends up at bama. the one thing that does help us IMO is uga has zero DEs committed right now and they will sell that, but he most likely goes to bama.