Atlanta offered a 2nd to KC for Gonzalez

Jerry Maguire

wow, reallll glad we didnt do that. Im sorry but a 2 is just two high for that. Just think we could get a great DEF player for years to come with that pick

Having said that....

It IS nice to know that TD is at least being pro-active and trying to make some moves. I like that. I want to see your team really address our needs.

We need a pass catching TE. But a 2nd is too high for Tony G. He's not the player he used to be. He's a big target, and he has reliable hands, and he would open up our passing game because he would be a viable compliment to Roddy White. But a 2nd is too much for a player that won't give us another 2 years.

After finding out he rejected it, I'm really really glad it didn't happen. We don't need that low-life piece of **** on this team!

P.S. The other team was the Bills.

Definitely glad we didn't make that trade. While Gonzales' work ethic and professionalism would have been a nice addition to this team, I think we've got better things to do with that pick. Second rounders are worth their weight in gold since you can get a very good player without having to dump a ton of cash on him right from the start.

If our pick is in the top 10, I'd love to trade down for a lower first and another second. We can get more Curtis Lofton types who will come in and just work.

If they want a pass-catching tight end so badly, we can draft one or possibly sign one in the offseason.

Direwolf

I have been extremely impressed with TD thus far and I can understand why he would consider something like this but I would not have been impressed had it gone through.

I know that considering our great start eople are apt to move away from the idea that we are rebuilding but we are.

Gonzalez is 32 years old and even if he is one of the best TE's the NFL has seen he is not what this young team needs.

Tony is still playing at a high level but it won't last, that;s the nature of the NFL.

That second round pick will be much more beneficial to this team and its future.

the jets and eagles i think offered a 3rd us and the bills offered a 2nd the chiefs wanted only a 2nd and Gonzalez didnt want to play for Bills or the Falcons

Well.. I dont understand why he would deviate from our offer like he did (if its true). As far as Im concerned, theres more future on the ATL roster than that on the chiefs so if his decisions were based on future prospects.. why stay where he is atm. We already showed we could beat the Chiefs fair and square.

Im sure he is a great player, but didnt our somewhat questionable secondary manage to shut him out? Im not crying that we didnt get him, I just dont understand his incentives for not wanting to go.

Sidenote: Personal agreement troubles perhaps.. I dunno.

Definitely glad we didn't make that trade. While Gonzales' work ethic and professionalism would have been a nice addition to this team, I think we've got better things to do with that pick. Second rounders are worth their weight in gold since you can get a very good player without having to dump a ton of cash on him right from the start.

If our pick is in the top 10, I'd love to trade down for a lower first and another second. We can get more Curtis Lofton types who will come in and just work.

If they want a pass-catching tight end so badly, we can draft one or possibly sign one in the offseason.

Direwolf

agreed on glad we did not do that trade - I still find it hard to believe that TD would give up a 2nd rounder for a 33yr old tight end.......I am very skeptical that this happened despite the news story from the Wisconsin newspaper - besides the quote I read did not say the Atlanta Falcons offered a 2nd - it said that they offered "more" than the Packers who offered a 3rd - does not "necessarily mean a 2nd was offered.

Also, its very doubtful the Atlanta Falcons will have a "top 10" pick at this point with the 4-2 record. Even if Falcons fade down the strecth with a 3-7 for a 4-6 record the rest of the way - that would still put them outside the top 10. I think we will finish 8-8 which would probably put the Falcons at somewhere around 18th overall - that's my guess.....

Am I the only one that thinks this is bad information. I just don't see TD making that offer the way he covets draft picks, much less a second. I was thinking a 5th or 6th and that was 'just maybe'.

-Emmitt

I agree 100%......I dont see TD doing that trade or even thinking about it........Adam Schefter reports that Tony Gonzalez was unwilling to be traded to Buffalo or a possible deal would have happened.......but he said nothing about the falcons

I would be pissed if we did that trade.......... If we traded a 2nd round pick for Lito cool...... but gonzo......nooooooooo......gonzo is a great TE but the guy is 32

That's not old - not for every player. Age doesn't show it's signs at the same time for everyone.

That's the same age of T.O. the year Dallas acquired him. I remember hoping, year after year, that Strahan would show his age for NY. Yet at age 32 he had 18.5 sacks. He had 11.5 at age 34. He had 9 his final year at age 36 (which is more than any single Eagle had in years 2003, 2004, 2005, or 2006). Thank God he finally just retired.

There are a reason why some players are HoFers - they are different. Gonzalez had 99 recpetions just last year. This season the team is in shambles and he's had 3 different QBs (none of them good) through his first 6 games.

Yeah - I would've given a 2nd and a 4th or 5th for Gonzalez and smiled while doing it.

To be fair, the prospective trade coudl have involved other factors than just a straight out second for him. They could have, for example, got something back in return, or any number of other permutations that never came around because Gonzales wasn't interested.