"Joe the Plumber" not licensed

This isn't really relevant, but pretty funny. This "Joe the Plumber" that McCain was talking about all night isn't even a licensed plumber.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081016/ap_on_...joe_the_plumber

By JOHN SEEWER, Associated Press Writer 12 minutes ago

HOLLAND, Ohio - Joe the Plumber said Thursday he doesn't have a license and doesn't need one. Joe Wurzelbacher, better known as Joe the Plumber, the nickname Republican John McCain bestowed on him during Wednesday's presidential debate, said he works for a small plumbing company that does residential work. Because he works for someone else, he doesn't need a license, he said.

But the county Wurzelbacher and his employer live in, Lucas County, requires plumbers to have licenses. Neither Wurzelbacher nor his employer are licensed there, said Cheryl Schimming of Lucas County Building Regulations, which handles plumber licenses in parts of the county outside Toledo.

Wurzelbacher, who voted in the Republican primary and indicated he backed McCain, was cited by the GOP presidential candidate as an example of someone who wants to buy a plumbing business but would be hurt by Democrat Barack Obama's tax plans. Wurzelbacher said he was surprised that his name was mentioned so many other times.

"That bothered me. I wished that they had talked more about issues that are important to Americans," he told reporters gathered outside his home.

Wurzelbacher, 34, said he doesn't have a good plan put together on how he would buy Newell Plumbing and Heating in nearby Toledo.

He said the business consists of owner Al Newell and him. Wurzelbacher said he's worked there for six years and that the two have talked about his taking it over at some point.

"There's a lot I've got to learn," he said.

Wurzelbacher said he started his day with an early morning workout and came back to his suburban Toledo home to do live interviews with TV networks.

Reporters camped out by his house overnight and by midmorning there were 21 people on his driveway surrounding him, holding cameras and notebooks.

Wurzelbacher said he's feeling overwhelmed.

"I'm kind of like Britney Spears having a headache. Everybody wants to know about it," he joked.

In Toledo on Sunday, Wurzelbacher told Obama that he was preparing to buy the plumbing company, which earns more than $250,000 a year, and said: "Your new tax plan is going to tax me more, isn't it?"

Obama said that under his proposal taxes on any revenue from $250,000 on down would stay the same, but that amounts above that level would be subject to a 39 percent tax, instead of the current 36 percent rate.

Wurzelbacher said Obama's tax plan wouldn't affect him right now, because he doesn't make $250,000. "But I hope someday I'll make that," he said.

"If you believed (Obama), I'd be receiving his tax cuts," Wurzelbacher said. "But I don't look at it that way. He'd still be hurting others."

As he leaned against the Dodge Durango SUV parked in his driveway Thursday morning, Wurzelbacher indicated to reporters who crowded around that he was a conservative, a fan of the military and McCain. He said meeting McCain would be an honor but said he hadn't been contacted by the Republican campaign.

Still, the plumber wouldn't say who he was voting for and brushed off a question about whether he could influence the election or other voters.

"I don't have a lot of pull. It's not like I'm Matt Damon," Wurzelbacher said.

"I just hope I'm not making too much of a fool of myself," he added.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Using examples like that always backfires. I thought they had learned their lesson when Gore tried doing the same thing in 2000 and it turned out most of his examples were incorrect.

Nothing about the way McCain's campaign has been run should lead anyone to believe they're even capable of learning at this point. This is the most incompetent campaign staff ever. Hillary's folks just had big egos and there were too many cooks in the kitchen.....McCain's folks are downright dumb. They won't research a darn thing...they just roll with whatever and hope it sticks.

well if you read my post you would see that the first thing i said is " this isn't really relevant, its just funny"

It is not really funny even..You do not need a liscense if you work under a company that is certified..He does not own a company , but if wanted to purchase said company , he will need to obtain certification..This can be done quickly , so once again , where is this so funny?

I hope that doesn't effect his ability to do his work. He didn't ask to be thrust into the mainstream.

actually he did!! he went in front of cameras & challenged obama over taxes!! now we learn he's not licensed plumber AND he has an outstanding tax lien!! what's he worried about taxes for??? he apparently pays them whenever he wants anyway!!!

we also find out he probably won't even be subject to higher taxes under obama!!!

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10...-the-spotlight/

And his question to Mr. Obama about paying taxes? According to some tax analysts, if Mr. Wurzelbacher’s gross receipts from his business is $250,000 — and not his taxable income — then he would not have to pay higher taxes under Mr. Obama’s plan, and probably would be eligible for a tax cut.

no, you dont. but you do have to be licensed to be union. and most unions are against non-union labor in these types of fields.

NO YOU DO NOT..Where did you pull that from..The license is protect people from fraud , that has nothing to do with the union!

I was union and did not have a license! :lol:

Ok folks, allow me to step in and explain. I AM a licensed plumber. A Class II Master Plumber Unrestricted. This means I am at the top of the foodchain for being licensed. I ALSO own my own business. Here is the way that MOST states look at the whole licensed/non licensed issue, as screwed up as it may seem. As long as there is ONE licensed person serving as a supervisor, the rest of the lot need NOT be licensed. This means that the Supv MUST be on the job with the non licensed employees SUPERVISING. In reality this does NOT happen but the state rarely enforces this to be done as it should. I will give you en example. Roto Rooter is the nations largest (by far) plumbing company. In the Atlanta branch there are roughly 50-55 service technicians of which there may be 10 or so with a license (Master or Journeyman). They have a Supervisor that "Carries" the license for the shop to work under. By law he is supposed to BE ON SITE with anyone not licensed, EVEN JOURNEYMAN plumbers. Now tell me this, how can one man be at 40 different places at once unless he is Jesus Christ or Santa Clause? He can't !!! Therefore, a law is being broken oodles of times daily.

Unioin shops differ as they have apprentices and Journeyman plumbers always working with a jobsite foreman who is the Master on site. Most plumbing outfits are NON UNION. Joe the plumber's situation calls for his Employer as well as himself to be licensed if what I am reading is true. IF Joe lived in Ga, he could get away with not having a license, but SOMEONE at his company would have to carry at least a Masters Class I Restricted for Joe to get his plumb on :)

Ok folks, allow me to step in and explain. I AM a licensed plumber. A Class II Master Plumber Unrestricted. This means I am at the top of the foodchain for being licensed. I ALSO own my own business. Here is the way that MOST states look at the whole licensed/non licensed issue, as screwed up as it may seem. As long as there is ONE licensed person serving as a supervisor, the rest of the lot need NOT be licensed. This means that the Supv MUST be on the job with the non licensed employees SUPERVISING. In reality this does NOT happen but the state rarely enforces this to be done as it should. I will give you en example. Roto Rooter is the nations largest (by far) plumbing company. In the Atlanta branch there are roughly 50-55 service technicians of which there may be 10 or so with a license (Master or Journeyman). They have a Supervisor that "Carries" the license for the shop to work under. By law he is supposed to BE ON SITE with anyone not licensed, EVEN JOURNEYMAN plumbers. Now tell me this, how can one man be at 40 different places at once unless he is Jesus Christ or Santa Clause? He can't !!! Therefore, a law is being broken oodles of times daily.

Unioin shops differ as they have apprentices and Journeyman plumbers always working with a jobsite foreman who is the Master on site. Most plumbing outfits are NON UNION. Joe the plumber's situation calls for his Employer as well as himself to be licensed if what I am reading is true. IF Joe lived in Ga, he could get away with not having a license, but SOMEONE at his company would have to carry at least a Masters Class I Restricted for Joe to get his plumb on :)

In other words, Joe's ridin' dirty! ;)