Prisco Points.... The Atlanta Falcons won't back down to anybody

The Atlanta Falcons won't back down to anybody. They are a definitely a feisty bunch.

Nobody embodies that more than right guard Harvey Dahl.

The man is a madman on the field. Dahl will hold his blocks until the last possible second, sometimes even pushing past the whistle. That infuriates the opposition, leading to post-play scuffles.

Watch the Falcons play and you'll usually see Dahl in the middle things. He's the modern Conrad Dobler.

" He's nasty," Falcons center Todd McClure said. "That's the one thing that impressed the coaches. He stays after them. He gets them frustrated."

I asked McClure if Dahl's a crazy man off the field.

"He's kind of laid back and flips the switch when he gets on the field," McClure said. "He

came here last year and worked his butt off. That's why he's the way he is."

Dahl is a terrific run blocker already and once he learns the tricks of pass protection he very well could end up in Hawaii in a couple of years. Not bad for a guy who was cut as a non-drafted rookie by Dallas in 2005 and also let go by San Francisco the next year before joining the Falcons as a practice-squad player last year.

With rookie left tackle Sam Baker and second-year left guard Justin Blalock, the Falcons have the makings of a good, young line.

Dahl will make sure it's a mean one.

linky

I love it! B)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tell you one thing guys....With Dimitroff as our GM now we will find a lot more hidden gems like Dahl in our future. I know that we got Dahl before TD was named our GM.....I'm just saying with TD's heavy scouting background and the way he has restructured our scouting department there will be more Dahl-type stories in our future....... ;)

I just love hearing the word 'mean' used to describe the Falcons. We've been called a lot of things over the past few years and mean is definitely a compliment. B)

Yeah count me in on that comment. I hated that "finesse" blocking tag we got put on us when we had Mora here, even though that scheme was very effective at running the ball. The last "mean" lineman I can recall is Bill Fralic when he was also the last first round lineman we drafted. I have thought for a number of years that we were not focusing enough attention to our line needs, especially when Vick was our QB. I love Mike Smith's philosophy of a big strong line. I really thought this group would be a major weakness this year, but wow they have been impressive, especially at pass blocking.

But here is a question that has been bothering me, and I would like some feedback please. Why do you think we have struggled to run the ball against the good run defenses like Tampa, Carolina, and Chicago? I think we can all agree that it is not due to the running back because Turner has shown that he can break tackles galore, and has very good vision.

So what is the cause of our lack of success against the good run D's, and what do you think the solution is?

I don't mind admitting that even after a lifetime of watching the NFL, I am still not very knowledgeable about the X's and O's, nor the personnel. I am just a fan that roots for my team.

Yeah count me in on that comment. I hated that "finesse" blocking tag we got put on us when we had Mora here, even though that scheme was very effective at running the ball. The last "mean" lineman I can recall is Bill Fralic when he was also the last first round lineman we drafted. I have thought for a number of years that we were not focusing enough attention to our line needs, especially when Vick was our QB. I love Mike Smith's philosophy of a big strong line. I really thought this group would be a major weakness this year, but wow they have been impressive, especially at pass blocking.

But here is a question that has been bothering me, and I would like some feedback please. Why do you think we have struggled to run the ball against the good run defenses like Tampa, Carolina, and Chicago? I think we can all agree that it is not due to the running back because Turner has shown that he can break tackles galore, and has very good vision.

So what is the cause of our lack of success against the good run D's, and what do you think the solution is?

I don't mind admitting that even after a lifetime of watching the NFL, I am still not very knowledgeable about the X's and O's, nor the personnel. I am just a fan that roots for my team.

Well, for one thing - they are stacking the box and playing the run - they are expecting run and the defensive focus is on stopping the run. When you have a poor defense and try that - good RB and that line will find a way to overcome it. But a good defense intent on stopping the run - usually will. What they have basically been doing is focus on the run and dare Ryan to beat them. Worked in Tampa, worked in Carolina - did not work with the Bears. As Ryan improves and starts gaining the respect of these DC's - you'll see more run opportunities - but don't count on a lot because we've already declared we are a run first team - which is fine. We still have to keep running - even when it doesn't work - because if they lose respect for the run - we have no opportunity for passing - it's all a balance and we'll get better at it as time goes on.

I totally agree. Our line, a one long time weakness, is starting to become one of the finest young lines in the league. They are very young and will only get better. Blaylock is having a tremendous year so far too. McClure is even playing well and is the Jeff Saturday of our line. Calling all the plays and directing this young line. Now he's played 10 years so we need to draft someone and groom them to be his replacement in a couple of years. You have to love the way they are playing but make no mistake about it, Matt Ryan gets rid of that ball so fast that they don't have to hold blocks for too long. Like Montana, Peyton and so on it will be hard to pressure Ryan because of his knowledge of where to go with the ball even before the ball is snapped.Ball is gone in 3 to 5 seconds most of the time.

Forget about all the BS from the Past.

This team has Purged.

Give us 2 seasons to rebuild and learn our Percentage Plays.

What you are witnessing this season is the Birth of a Dynasty.

The 2009 Draft will focus on the D Line and Backs

and possibly an O Lineman.

There will be a few FA's that will jump on board.

So 2009 will be the year to Gel the D and Fine tune the

O percentage plays.

2010 we will add one or 2 key players and there will just be no stopping us.

THe cause is the good run defenses.

Blaylock is having a tremendous year so far too. McClure is even playing well and is the Jeff Saturday of our line. Calling all the plays and directing this young line. Now he's played 10 years so we need to draft someone and groom them to be his replacement in a couple of years.

Two points here:

First, while Blaylock has looked okay here and there, Sunday he was down-right dominant! He started looking like the O-lineman I thought he was going to be (a Hutchinson clone).

Second, with his smaller size, Dahl might just be the best man to replace McClure in a few years. Think about it. He'd have a couple of years to learn the recognition skills that McCLure excels at. He's be a great sized center-strong, young, and mean. Then Clabo could either slide inside and give us a pair of 330+ guards while keeping him and Dahl beside each other (taking advantage of their chemistry) and us draft (or develop) a RT, or we go after another guard. If he could pull it off, I think Dahl might be the perfect candidate.