Blank deserves credit

FalconMama

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8674622...deserves-credit

Arthur Blank deserves all the credit for what has happened in Atlanta post-Bob Petrino and Mike Vick.

Vick disgraced himself, the franchise, and the league. Petrino is a snake who lied to everyone and quit like a coward. Blank rightly took a lot of heat for both disasters.

However, Blank was smart enough to hire a true football guy in Tom Dimitroff, who went through the process and found Mike Smith, a longtime assistant and brilliant football mind. Smith has been a great defensive coordinator in the league for a long time. He immediately walked in to Atlanta, changed the culture, and demanded hard work and accountability. Dimitroff paid Michael Turner exactly what he was worth. He was savvy enough to project Turner's greatness as the ultimate blend of power and speed.

But it all changed when the club picked Matt Ryan, a pick Blank pushed for.

The rookie has been so cool under fire guiding these Falcons to a stunning 4-2 record. I thought the Falcons didn't have a chance to win the game against Chicago after Kyle Orton tossed a late touchdown. But then Robbie Gould inexplicably squibbed a kick and "Matty ice" stepped up, just like he did the week before at Lambeau Field. Ryan had time to make one play and threw a strike to Michael Jenkins to give Jason Elam a chance to nail the game-winner.

Ryan is making plays in the fourth quarter. He's establishing Roddy White and Jenkins. These are things Vick didn't do.

Smith and Ryan have changed everything in Atlanta. I still don't think this is playoff team. I still think they are a last-place team. But they are amazing to watch, playing with a ton of confidence and that will pay off next year. Heck, being already ahead of schedule makes this the greatest team story of the year through six weeks.

Indeed, I doubt this team would be where we are right now had Parcells or any other GM/Coach took the job.I believe we have found a long term solution at GM, HC, OC (should he not go for a HC job).You look at what the GM and coaches have done since the Draft and it is flat out amazing.

No one in their right mind would believe the Falcons would be better than a 4 win team much less a possible playoff contender in 08 after last seasons disasters.

- The Draft was excellent

- FA signing was excellent

- getting rid of Hall, Crump, Dunn, J.Williams for various attitude and production reasons has been a blessing.

Every thing has been done for a reason and now we are sitting at 4-2 with a great staff and a new Franchise QB and HB.If I'm not mistaken we are in the top 5 youngest teams in the league but still have great veteran players to help develop our young men.

It has been hard being a life time Falcon fan but the future is so bright right now for the Franchise.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8674622...deserves-credit

Arthur Blank deserves all the credit for what has happened in Atlanta post-Bob Petrino and Mike Vick.

Vick disgraced himself, the franchise, and the league. Petrino is a snake who lied to everyone and quit like a coward. Blank rightly took a lot of heat for both disasters.

However, Blank was smart enough to hire a true football guy in Tom Dimitroff, who went through the process and found Mike Smith, a longtime assistant and brilliant football mind. Smith has been a great defensive coordinator in the league for a long time. He immediately walked in to Atlanta, changed the culture, and demanded hard work and accountability. Dimitroff paid Michael Turner exactly what he was worth. He was savvy enough to project Turner's greatness as the ultimate blend of power and speed.

But it all changed when the club picked Matt Ryan, a pick Blank pushed for.

The rookie has been so cool under fire guiding these Falcons to a stunning 4-2 record. I thought the Falcons didn't have a chance to win the game against Chicago after Kyle Orton tossed a late touchdown. But then Robbie Gould inexplicably squibbed a kick and "Matty ice" stepped up, just like he did the week before at Lambeau Field. Ryan had time to make one play and threw a strike to Michael Jenkins to give Jason Elam a chance to nail the game-winner.

Ryan is making plays in the fourth quarter. He's establishing Roddy White and Jenkins. These are things Vick didn't do.

Smith and Ryan have changed everything in Atlanta. I still don't think this is playoff team. I still think they are a last-place team. But they are amazing to watch, playing with a ton of confidence and that will pay off next year. Heck, being already ahead of schedule makes this the greatest team story of the year through six weeks.

You said all of that just to say this??? :mellow: :blink:

Blank got very, very lucky. We all know he pursued the big names: Cowher, Schottenheimer, Pete Carrol, and most of all Bill Parcels. And he was turned down by them all, which is very fortunate for us because THEN he finally calmed down and took his time looking.

Exactly. Blank does deserve credit but like you said, it wasn't like Smith and TD were his first choices. There was another article something like this saying that he passed over big names to get Smith. Come on now. You can give the man credit without making stuff up.

Blank got very, very lucky. We all know he pursued the big names: Cowher, Schottenheimer, Pete Carrol, and most of all Bill Parcels. And he was turned down by them all, which is very fortunate for us because THEN he finally calmed down and took his time looking.

We have to give a lot of credit to Blank's friend and Patriots owner Robert Kraft. I remember it was reported that Blank went to Kraft and asked for advice. Shortly after that Dimitroff was hired as GM. That showed me something about Kraft, and for that I give him props. he turned over one of his own to a friend and also gave Dimitroff his dream job. That's a class act. Thank You Mr Kraft!

When one door closes, another one opens up.

I'm just so happy to be excited about watching games again. The Falcons have exceeded my wildest expectations this year. I have stopped looking forward to the '09 draft and enjoy watching every play. I have been emotionally invested in this team since Dan Reeves was named the head coach, the last few years have been heartbreaking. It is great to watch games where you know that the team is leaving everything on the field, win or lose, I am proud of our team. I haven't been able to say that for a while now.

I'm still kind of confused why everyone thinks it was wild idea to squibb to the Falcons. Do these people just not know of Jerious Norwood?

You are exactly right - they don't know him. We have never utilized him enough to give him the kind of stats that really stand out in the crowd - and he wasn't hyped up like Bush so that everyone follows his every move. So, he is quietly a beast - and I love it! That being said - he needs many more touches in a game.

I'm just thanking God that everything fell in its place because we could've hired Cowher or Parcells who would've wanted to draft Dorsey and who knows what kind of start this franchise would have right now. I couldn't be any happier with the Falcons organization, the team/players, and the future Superbowl championships we're going to win...;)