Gonzalez rejected deal to Atlanta

tdot falcon

Wisconsin State Journal - According to two NFL sources familiar with the negotiations, the Packers had drawn up the trade paperwork and sent it to the Chiefs to finalize the deal, a third-round pick for Tony Gonzalez, only to have the Chiefs call them 10 minutes before the deadline to say it would take a second-round pick to get the deal done.

The Chiefs ended up keeping Gonzalez, who is now angry a deal didn't get done.

The Packers "sent the papers and everything, thinking it was going to happen," the source said.

According to the source, the Packers, New York Giants and Philadelphia Eagles all made offers — the Giants offering a fourth-round pick, the Eagles and Packers offering third-rounders. The source said the Atlanta Falcons and Buffalo Bills made better offers but Gonzalez wasn't interested in playing for either team

Not surprising if true. TG wanted to go to a superbowl contender, and even though we are playing well, we really cannot be considered that right now. I doubt that GB would have been acceptable either based on the reports of what he had asked for, so even if GB had of come up with the 2nd round offer, there is no guarantee that TG would have accepted that move either.

Wisconsin State Journal - According to two NFL sources familiar with the negotiations, the Packers had drawn up the trade paperwork and sent it to the Chiefs to finalize the deal, a third-round pick for Tony Gonzalez, only to have the Chiefs call them 10 minutes before the deadline to say it would take a second-round pick to get the deal done.

The Chiefs ended up keeping Gonzalez, who is now angry a deal didn't get done.

The Packers "sent the papers and everything, thinking it was going to happen," the source said.

According to the source, the Packers, New York Giants and Philadelphia Eagles all made offers — the Giants offering a fourth-round pick, the Eagles and Packers offering third-rounders. The source said the Atlanta Falcons and Buffalo Bills made better offers but Gonzalez wasn't interested in playing for either team

I would have wanted Gonzalez five years ago, but not now!!!!

I for one am glad he turned us down. Gonzo is good but he would only be around a few more years and to spend a high draft pick on him would have been asinine on our part. I would rather keep the pick and get a young player who can help us for years to come.

Off the subject but great pic of Brooking helping to stop Forte on that 4th down conversion.

Off the subject but great pic of Brooking helping to stop Forte on that 4th down conversion.

If you watch the video you'll see Brooking hits Forte as Forte is already falling short because he couldn't leap over his line.

But as far as Gonzo goes, it's understandable he doesn't want to just go to any team, even if they are better, just because. He probably still has loyalty to KC and would only leave for a Super Bowl contender.

If you watch the video you'll see Brooking hits Forte as Forte is already falling short because he couldn't leap over his line.

But as far as Gonzo goes, it's understandable he doesn't want to just go to any team, even if they are better, just because. He probably still has loyalty to KC and would only leave for a Super Bowl contender.

You really will go to any lengths to try to support your Brooking delusions, won't you?

I'm happier keeping our Draft Picks.

It doesn't say what our offer was, just that it was better than a 3rd round pick.

Far to high for an ageing TE who's primary job in Mularky's scheme is to block.

I'm actually more shocked TD offered a pick THAT high...

yeah the draft picks are better, look what they did for us this year. Also if we were going to get a pass catching TE 6 weeks into the season why didnt we just keep Crump?