Trade Chris Houston for:

a) A 2nd round draft pick in the 2009 draft.

Houston is a young, very talented man-cover CB. He was drafted before the Cover-2 and the Mike Smith regime came to Atlanta, and now no longer fits our defensive scheme. If he stays with Atlanta, and he very may well, his skill set will surely go to waste. He can really make a difference on a team that uses man-to-man coverage. Here is a brief list of teams that need a CB that use man-to-man coverage: Ravens, Patriots, Giants, Dolphins, 49ers, Browns, Cowboys and Packers. I would rather go after trading with the Patriots, Ravens, Dolphins, Browns or 49ers since I believe they will have low-middle of the pack picks. The teams that make the most sense to trade with are the Browns and the 49ers, Browns especially, who after the FA pickups of last offseason are in win-now mode. We can do many things with a 2nd round pick - draft a very talented player - or what I would like to do: trade it for a 2009 1st round pick. Since we have to 2nd rounders one is expendable, and there are two prospects, one an expected early junior entrant, who I really want in 2010 and would be great for the franchise in putting them over the top (Marvin Austin, UT and Arrelious Benn, WR).

b] Dwight Lowery, CB (of the New York Jets)

Lowery was a 4th round pick of the Jets in 2008 and again the Jets have found a diamond in the 4th round. Lowery does not have the speed that is needed to play in the Jets man-to-man cover defense but he is a ballhawk: he had 13 INTs in 25 games at San Jose State and was an AFCA 1st team All-American in 2006 and 2007. He is 5'11, 201 lbs and runs a 4.5 40. He is a very physical CB and supports the run very well. He has 22 tackles (20 solo) and 0 INTs so far this season for the Jets - but that is because he is playing man-to-man.

Watch this video from the 4 minute point until the end - it is Dwight Lowery highlights from SJSU. All of his interceptions except for three come on reads and him making a jump on the route and picking it off. **Eric Berry fans who hate me for saying his interceptions are "gimmes" and are not byproducts of him making a play on the ball - watch how Lowery gets his interceptions.** Lowery's last INT in the video is just a great athletic play.

Here also is his Draft Guys TV video: (if you watch it until the end they say that he is a great fit for the Cover-2 defense and not for man-to-man coverage)

Here, however, is Chris Houston's draft profile:

"2007 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

person

Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas

After his junior campaign at Arkansas, Chris Houston elected to leave and enter the 2007 draft. He displays exceptional strength for his size and plays very aggressive at the line of scrimmage. Houston has excellent overall speed and on those occasions when a wide receiver beats him downfield, he shows very good recovery speed to close of the receiver. He excelled this season against several of the top receiver prospects (Jarrett, Bowe and Meachem) in the 2007 draft and shut them down offensively. Houston is a very instinctive player and is excellent in man-to-man coverage. He has just one year as a starter, thus lacks the experience of several of his peers in the draft and still has plenty to learn at the position. Although he is often in position to create a turnover, Houston is not the playmaker on the field you would expect in terms of interceptions (having just three last season). With his physical strength and speed, Houston needs to become more involved against the run at the next level. During the combine workouts, Houston registered a 4.32 in the 40-yard dash outperforming all other defensive backs. In addition, he benched 225 pounds an astonishing 27 times, a number you would expect from offensive or defensive linemen. He probably benefited more than any other prospect at the combine and is now a solid first round selection. Look for Houston to be selected in the mid-to-late first round."

We stole him in the 2nd round, but it was a great pick at the time because we utilized man-to-man coverage. If we could pull this trade off straight up, we would get a GREAT Cover-2 starting CB. Of course now we would have to wait for the season to be over, but there is really no CB in the 2009 draft that would be better than Lowery in the Cover-2 D. The Jets would only pull the trigger on this because Houston is the kind of CB they need and Lowery is the kind of CB we need. Plus we are essentially trading a 2nd round (stolen 1st round) pick for a 4th round pick.

I like option A better because I would rather have the 2010 1st and pick up a zone-cover CB in the draft, but option B is a great option as well. Jets' fans are really high on Lowery, but they were really high on Houston too when he declared for the 2007 draft (I know this because the Jets are my #2 team being from NY).

If you dislike these ideas that is fine, but keep in mind that the GM's job is to put the best product on the field, and that means putting players on the field that fit your system as well as being talented.

I don't dislike your trade ideas, but I think they're too Madden'ish ... nobody would give us a 2nd for Chris Houston, so far he's just rare numbers from combine and pro day, but he lacks production in the NFL. Every GM would look at gametape and see that he gets burned way too often, so if you're lucky you get a 4th or 5th rounder.

You don't get what you "paid" if somebody doesn't show up in the NFL and so far Houston has NOT shown what you expect from a 2nd round talent.

I don't dislike your trade ideas, but I think they're too Madden'ish ... nobody would give us a 2nd for Chris Houston, so far he's just rare numbers from combine and pro day, but he lacks production in the NFL every GM would look at gametape and see that he gets burned way too often, so if you're lucky you get a 4th or 5th rounder.

You don't get what you "paid" if somebody doesn't show up in the NFL and so far Houston has NOT shown what you expect from a 2nd round talent.

Pretty much nailed it. We'd be lucky to get a 4th for him. He has done absolutely nothing on the field to warrant a 2nd round pick. Where he was drafted in 2007 has no bearing on his current value.

we would be dreaming to get either of these for Houston. a 4th round pick is more reasonable. Lowry is already better than Houston.

Lowery has done well so far this season and he has shown that he is a good player but he does not fit in a man-to-man cover scheme. Houston has shown flashes of brilliance at times but he gets beat in zone.

If you can honestly name me three CBs in the 2009 draft that are better than Chris Houston in man coverage (aside from Malcolm Jenkins and Vontae Davis because they will be had in the 1st round) than I will be persuaded that we cannot get a 2nd round pick for a CB.

In April when the 2nd round comes around and teams need a man-cover CB and find that none are better than Houston...we might be able to make a deal.

Lowery has done well so far this season and he has shown that he is a good player but he does not fit in a man-to-man cover scheme. Houston has shown flashes of brilliance at times but he gets beat in zone.

If you can honestly name me three CBs in the 2009 draft that are better than Chris Houston in man coverage (aside from Malcolm Jenkins and Vontae Davis because they will be had in the 1st round) than I will be persuaded that we cannot get a 2nd round pick for a CB.

In April when the 2nd round comes around and teams need a man-cover CB and find that none are better than Houston...we might be able to make a deal.

I like your optimism, but it won't happen, Houston hasn't shown that he's worth a 2nd round pick, the only thing why I think a 4th rounder is possible is that he still has some years on a fairly cheap rookie contract.

Every 7th round pick (if he plays) shows so-called "flashes of brilliance", so that's no measure stick ... sorry, nobody will give up a second, he's just not good enough yet.

He was overrated when we drafted him, and now he's in the wrong system too, if you trade him, be happy if you get something in the range of round 4 or 5 ... and even then a team would take a chance, so far the game tape on him is not very impressive, but he has 2 years on a pretty cheap contract left.

Value on the draft day doesn't equal value now, some players improve, some don't ... he didn't. The NFL is tough, if you don't improve you regress, that's why his value is down, even if somebody needs a man-corner.

I like your optimism, but it won't happen, Houston hasn't shown that he's worth a 2nd round pick, the only thing why I think a 4th rounder is possible is that he still has some years on a fairly cheap rookie contract.

Every 7th round pick (if he plays) shows so-called "flashes of brilliance", so that's no measure stick ... sorry, nobody will give up a second, he's just not good enough yet.

He was overrated when we drafted him, and now he's in the wrong system too, if you trade him, be happy if you get something in the range of round 4 or 5 ... and even then a team would take a chance, so far the game tape on him is not very impressive, but he has 2 years on a pretty cheap contract left.

Value on the draft day doesn't equal value now, some players improve, some don't ... he didn't. The NFL is tough, if you don't improve you regress, that's why his value is down, even if somebody needs a man-corner.

It all comes down to how much of a man TD is the negotiation department. The Lions gave up a 1st, 3rd and 6th for a physically impressive receiver who has had only one statistically impressive season, and has a major case of the dropsies.

lol....The Falcons will not trade Chris Houston

Agree, he'll sit out his rookie contract, if he doesn't learn to play in the cover-2, he'll get tendered fairly low and if somebody gives us a pick then, we'll take it. But right now we can't afford to trade away the most experienced CB on the team (sad enough) and replace him with a new rookie, where we have no idea if he works out.

Another thing.....if D-Hall was traded for a 2nd and 5th......who would trade a 2nd round pick for Chris Houston.....lol...... A team would trade maybe a 5th or 6th round pick........

Unless the player is a superstar.....You will not get a good value for the guy

Domonique Foxworth was a 3rd round pick......... We got him for a 7th round pick

Another thing.....if D-Hall was traded for a 2nd and 5th......who would trade a 2nd round pick for Chris Houston.....lol...... A team would trade maybe a 5th or 6th round pick........

Unless the player is a superstar.....You will not get a good value for the guy

Domonique Foxworth was a 3rd round pick......... We got him for a 7th round pick

Foxworth was not playing in Denver and he had no purpose there. This is his contract year and they were not going to resign him at the end of it so they traded him for a draft pick as opposed to nothing - it was a great move on their part.

Houston is a very young corner who still has a promising future in a man-cover system. D-Hall had a big mouth and was a cancer in the Falcons locker room. If he wasn't being a prissy little BlTCH we would have gotten more than a 2nd and 5th.

Houston is worth more than a 5th or 6th - an offer like that would be a huge insult.

Wow with these trades. You remind me of someone who posted ridiculous and outrageous ideas on Falcon's Loyal two years ago. Was that you?

Why would the Jets even trade for Houston? Lowery is playing very well for them all season, have you even watched him at all yet?

Q1) Wow with these trades. You remind me of someone who posted ridiculous and outrageous ideas on Falcon's Loyal two years ago. Was that you?

Q2) Why would the Jets even trade for Houston? Lowery is playing very well for them all season, have you even watched him at all yet?

A1) No, joined last summer - and these trades are not "ridiculous".

A2) I am from NY and out of the three teams I am a Jets fan (Falcons first, Jets second). Lowery has played very well but I don't trust him one-on-one on a go route. He is great when the WR and ball are in front of him. Houston makes a better man-cover guy than Lowery, and Lowery makes a better zone-cover guy than Houston.

When will the madness stop first Robby White is a bust, then JA98 now Chris Houston. Please let the hate stop, you would think we would be elated with the success of the team. But you guys love to eat your young. How will you guys question why the experts don't give us respect if we don't respect ourselves by always trying to try our young talent away for guys who has yet to take a snap in the NFL and may not be any better than the guy we currently have on the team.

Ask Chargers, Packers, Bears, Patriots, Cowboys, Colts and Saint fans if they who like to be in our position now? Who would have thought after 6 weeks we would have a better record than after six weeks than these teams at the begin of the year.

When will the madness stop first Robby White is a bust, then JA98 now Chris Houston. Please let the hate stop, you would think we would be elated with the success of the team. But you guys love to eat your young. How will you guys question why the experts don't give us respect if we don't respect ourselves by always trying to try our young talent away for guys who has yet to take a snap in the NFL and may not be any better than the guy we currently have on the team.

Ask Chargers, Packers, Bears, Patriots, Cowboys, Colts and Saint fans if they who like to be in our position now? Who would have thought after 6 weeks we would have a better record than after six weeks than these teams at the begin of the year.

Very true.

I am not saying Houston is a bust. I am saying he skill set would be better utilized in a defensive scheme that was man-cover oriented as opposed to zone-cover.

Terrelle Pryor is a spread style QB.

Matt Stafford is a pro style QB.

Would either one be good in the other offensive scheme? I don't know, probably not, but definitely not as good as they would be in the scheme they best fit. If they were bad in the wrong scheme does it mean they are a bad QB. No; it just means they are not a good QB in that scheme.

Same applies for CB Chris Houston in the Cover 2 defense.

I am not saying Houston is a bust. I am saying he skill set would be better utilized in a defensive scheme that was man-cover oriented as opposed to zone-cover.

Terrelle Pryor is a spread style QB.

Matt Stafford is a pro style QB.

Would either one be good in the other offensive scheme? I don't know, probably not, but definitely not as good as they would be in the scheme they best fit. If they were bad in the wrong scheme does it mean they are a bad QB. No; it just means they are not a good QB in that scheme.

Same applies for CB Chris Houston in the Cover 2 defense.

Does the same thing apply?

If Houston was changing from a Cover2 to man to man I would agree. But cover 2 cb rely more on the scheme than skill sets. That's why teams that play that scheme does not require cb with great skill set. Example our Chevis Jackson best recorded time 4.58 bench 225 only 13 times. You're not suggesting that TD made a mistake with this pick by not look at his measurable are you? Chris Houston recorded 4.32 bench 225 27 times obviously he has the skill just need the experience and the coaching. There is no really value in draft a cb with great skill set because the defense is about the dline and the safeties. Best example is the Bucs and the Bears both play a cover two both have outstanding defense first thing you think about theme is there dline not the corners.

Not to mention it makes more sense to invest in players we already have on the roster that we know what they bring to the table. Like JA98 this is his first year playing for a real coach, let's give me time to make the adjustment.

When you team is in the bottom ten as far as getting pressure on the quarterback any quarterback will spread you. Improving our dline will improve our secondary by default. There is no cb in this draft that spells instance hof or pro bowler. Let's just let Coach Smith do his job and watch the game. The season has been a pleasant surprise so far and will on get better. Imagine what a full year of Smith coaching will do for JA98 and Houston. Just be patience.

Does the same thing apply?

If Houston was changing from a Cover2 to man to man I would agree. But cover 2 cb rely more on the scheme than skill sets. That's why teams that play that scheme does not require cb with great skill set. Example our Chevis Jackson best recorded time 4.58 bench 225 only 13 times. You're not suggesting that TD made a mistake with this pick by not look at his measurable are you? Chris Houston recorded 4.32 bench 225 27 times obviously he has the skill just need the experience and the coaching. There is no really value in draft a cb with great skill set because the defense is about the dline and the safeties. Best example is the Bucs and the Bears both play a cover two both have outstanding defense first thing you think about theme is there dline not the corners.

Not to mention it makes more sense to invest in players we already have on the roster that we know what they bring to the table. Like JA98 this is his first year playing for a real coach, let's give me time to make the adjustment.

When you team is in the bottom ten as far as getting pressure on the quarterback any quarterback will spread you. Improving our dline will improve our secondary by default. There is no cb in this draft that spells instance hof or pro bowler. Let's just let Coach Smith do his job and watch the game. The season has been a pleasant surprise so far and will on get better. Imagine what a full year of Smith coaching will do for JA98 and Houston. Just be patience.

I truly hope that by the end of the season Houston will have made great strides as a Cover 2 CB because he has all the talent in the world and I think if he can adjust to owning a zone then I would be happy to keep him. My assumption for the mock was that he is at the end of the year what he is now without speculated improvement or regression.

You don't need HOFers in the Cover 2 at CB. I really like DeAngelo Willingham from Tennessee in the 3rd round in 2009 as a Cover 2 corner. Great size, good speed and great in zone coverage - has a handful of picks this year and a ton of tackles for a CB.

I truly hope that by the end of the season Houston will have made great strides as a Cover 2 CB because he has all the talent in the world and I think if he can adjust to owning a zone then I would be happy to keep him. My assumption for the mock was that he is at the end of the year what he is now without speculated improvement or regression.

You don't need HOFers in the Cover 2 at CB. I really like DeAngelo Willingham from Tennessee in the 3rd round in 2009 as a Cover 2 corner. Great size, good speed and great in zone coverage - has a handful of picks this year and a ton of tackles for a CB.

Dude it took Nnamdi Asomugha, Champ Bailey & Asante Samuels three or more years before the started producing anything and they are the best in the game now. There is no CB in this year or any year that will come in and be a instant impact!