Falcons’ Ryan compared to Peyton Manning

atljbo

image_7670141.jpg

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Flowery Branch — Matt Ryan has led the Falcons to more victories in six games that Peyton Manning won as a rookie quarterback. Manning posted a 3-13 record back in 1998 for Indianapolis.

NFL Network analyst Brian Baldinger compared the two players on the “Team Cam” show.

“He is so far advanced, the only guy I can compare him to in recent history is Peyton Manning,” Baldinger said. “I haven’t seen another quarterback come into the league with the confidence and the understanding of how to play this game outside of Peyton in the last 10 years.”

Lofton’s status

Middle linebacker Curtis Lofton is one of 10 rookies who have started each of their team’s games on defense.

The others are: Kansas City’s Brandon Carr (cornerback), Glenn Dorsey (defensive tackle) and Brandon Flowers (cornerback); Carolina’s Charles Godfrey (safety), Seattle’s Lawrence Jackson (defensive end), Minnesota’s Tyrell Johnson (safety), St. Louis’s Chris Long (defensive lineman), New York Jets’ Dwight Lowery (cornerback), New England’s Jerod Mayo (linebacker) and Cincinnati’s Keith Rivers (linebacker).

White shining

Wide receiver Roddy White is tied for second in the NFC for third-down receiving with 13 catches for 245 yards and one touchdown.

His 566 yards total receiving are second in the league and his 35 receptions are fourth in the NFC.

OK guys I have to say it...I am tired of hearing how Matt is just like every star quarterback it the last hundred years... He is a **** good rookie quarterback and we should be glad we have him...BUT lets let him be his own person and play the game...that way it five years people can say"Hey this rookie looks just like Matt Ryan did back in '08" ;)

I feel like Curtis Lofton has not gotten his due props........ I hear the "experts" talk about Jerod Mayo like hes Patrick Willis...... Well Coach Belichick is thinking about benching mayo because he said that mayo is not sticking to his gaps and is looking lost out there

Jerod Mayo played fewer snaps in Week 5 than undrafted rookie linebacker Gary Guyton.

OK guys I have to say it...I am tired of hearing how Matt is just like every star quarterback it the last hundred years... He is a **** good rookie quarterback and we should be glad we have him...BUT lets let him be his own person and play the game...that way it five years people can say"Hey this rookie looks just like Matt Ryan did back in '08" ;)

I somewhat agree but its nothing wrong with being happy with what Matt Ryan has showed us......Plus..... I would rather peoples say Matt Ryan remind them of Peyton Manning then Ryan Leaf...lol

It feels good

I actually think he's a better rookie than Peyton was now. That Colt team had issues too when Peyton got there, but not as many as ours did. I mean what has gone with the Falcons was unprecedented, a team burnt to the ground so to speak and to have a rookie QB with a rookie coach, a first time starting RB in Turner and a rookie OT in Baker on an o-line that was considered one of the worst the past few seasons to come in here and have this team off to the start they have had is simply amazing. This has to go down as one of the, if not THE best start to a career for a NFL quarterback ever if this keeps up, wait okay I forgot about Marino....but still I hope he keeps it up! :D

I feel like Curtis Lofton has not gotten his due props........ I hear the "experts" talk about Jerod Mayo like hes Patrick Willis...... Well Coach Belichick is thinking about benching mayo because he said that mayo is not sticking to his gaps and is looking lost out there

We could see more blitzing as lofton gets more experience.Mayos troubles arent that bad for a rooky.Lbs have a lot of responsibilities.

Peyton Manning won't be able to carry Matt Ryan's jock in 2009!!!! :lol:

Am I the only one who thinks that people are getting too hyped on Ryan. He is great but still its only 6 games. I need to see a full season!

I agree. Unfortunatley tho, most all rookies hit a wall in year 2 and dont do near as good. so even if he keeps playing like this all year, dont be surprised if he takes a step backwards next year. I really hope he doesnt, and he seems like an extremely intelligent person so who knows? all i know is he has made me a believer and a fan. i was like most people who wanted Dorsey, and I admit it. but now i am very happy with our selection and am excited for the future, and i also have total faith in our Coaches and F.O

I agree. Unfortunatley tho, most all rookies hit a wall in year 2 and dont do near as good. so even if he keeps playing like this all year, dont be surprised if he takes a step backwards next year. I really hope he doesnt, and he seems like an extremely intelligent person so who knows? all i know is he has made me a believer and a fan. i was like most people who wanted Dorsey, and I admit it. but now i am very happy with our selection and am excited for the future, and i also have total faith in our Coaches and F.O

??? Could you please show me stats to back up that statistics. Carson Palmer, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Dan Marino all vastly improved from their 1st to 2nd year. The difference between 1st and 2nd year is larger than 2nd to 3rd from my study.

??? Could you please show me stats to back up that statistics. Carson Palmer, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Dan Marino all vastly improved from their 1st to 2nd year. The difference between 1st and 2nd year is larger than 2nd to 3rd from my study.

Show me those stats. and im not just talking about stats, or about QBs. but Big Ben was worse his second year, Pretty much any RB. Peterson wont have as many yards as last year. Travaris Jackson this year got benched, Vince Young, etc. and i am too lazy to look up actual statistics.

Show me those stats. and im not just talking about stats, or about QBs. but Big Ben was worse his second year, Pretty much any RB. Peterson wont have as many yards as last year. Travaris Jackson this year got benched, Vince Young, etc. and i am too lazy to look up actual statistics.

But we are talking about QBs. Those you mentioned were never really good QBs(except Big Ben, but he has never been a big drop back and pass QB to begin with) and the rest aren't QBs anyways. Generally, a good QB has a poor/solid 1st year, a solid/good 2nd year, and a good/great 3rd year.

Tom Brady didn't really play his 1st year, played in 2nd and 3rd full time. His 2nd year he threw for 2,800 yards with 18 TDs and 12 INTs. The next year he threw 3,700 yards and 28 INTs with 14 INTs.

Peyton Manning for 3,700 yards with 26 TDs and 28 INTs his 1st year, threw for 4100 yards with 26 TDs and 15 INTs his 2nd, and 4,400 yards with 33 TDs with 15 INTs his 3rd.

Carson Palmer sat his rookie year, threw for 2900 yards with 18 TDs and 18 INTs his 2nd year, and 3800 yards with 32 TDs with 12 INTs in 3rd.

Dan Marino threw for 2200 yards with 20 TDs and 6 INTs his rookie year, and then threw for over 5,000 yards with 48 TDs and 17 INTs his 2nd year.

I'll give Matt Ryan 7 years before I decide. -_-

I say we should hold off judgment until he retires. That way we have all the stats for all the games he's played and can make a true assessment of his talent. It is always best to have all the facts before deciding, right?

image_7670141.jpg

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Flowery Branch — Matt Ryan has led the Falcons to more victories in six games that Peyton Manning won as a rookie quarterback. Manning posted a 3-13 record back in 1998 for Indianapolis.

NFL Network analyst Brian Baldinger compared the two players on the “Team Cam” show.

“He is so far advanced, the only guy I can compare him to in recent history is Peyton Manning,” Baldinger said. “I haven’t seen another quarterback come into the league with the confidence and the understanding of how to play this game outside of Peyton in the last 10 years.”

Lofton’s status

Middle linebacker Curtis Lofton is one of 10 rookies who have started each of their team’s games on defense.

The others are: Kansas City’s Brandon Carr (cornerback), Glenn Dorsey (defensive tackle) and Brandon Flowers (cornerback); Carolina’s Charles Godfrey (safety), Seattle’s Lawrence Jackson (defensive end), Minnesota’s Tyrell Johnson (safety), St. Louis’s Chris Long (defensive lineman), New York Jets’ Dwight Lowery (cornerback), New England’s Jerod Mayo (linebacker) and Cincinnati’s Keith Rivers (linebacker).

White shining

Wide receiver Roddy White is tied for second in the NFC for third-down receiving with 13 catches for 245 yards and one touchdown.

His 566 yards total receiving are second in the league and his 35 receptions are fourth in the NFC.

NFL.com, I believe, has compared Matt to Marino. Marino had a 1400+ yards while boasting a 90+ passer rating. I believe the records were exactly the same.

It's good to hear these comparisons - but to all his own. No telling how Matt Ryan will turn out. He may pass for 3500 yards per year, or end up getting more than that or less. In the end - everyone has came to see he is a SMART good QB. He has potential to be very good. We as fans should be very happy to have him - even if he does not play up to some of these comparisons. To me - he does remind me of some of those great qbs. He is a student of the game and plays every game very hard. The minute the draft experts said he is a film room fanatic was the minute I decided he should be our pick. We need that kind of guy - all teams do.

For the first time in over a decade we all have a QB that we ALL can be very proud of. He will do nothing but make our team better every game.

NFL.com, I believe, has compared Matt to Marino. Marino had a 1400+ yards while boasting a 90+ passer rating. I believe the records were exactly the same.

Marino also took over a Super Bowl team. But it's neither here nor there. Ryan will do whatever he will do this year and we'll be watching him next year with great anticipation.

Direwolf

Big Ben was in a motorcycle accident his 2nd year which largely contributed to his dropoff. Vince Young went from 51% completion to 62.3% completion, 400 more yards, and a higher QB rating, he just sucked both years. Tarvaris Jackson is in his 3rd year, he did better in his 2nd year than first. Typically, QB's get better as they get more years in the league. First year QB's are typically abysmal. 2nd year QB's they usually start to come around. And historically, 3rd year tends to be when you get to see what you have with them. But QB's do not typically have the sophomore slump other positions do.

Doesn't bother me. I'll listen to it all day long. :)