Dropped Punts

And now people realize how good Rossum really was...

...even if we dont address it this season, which would be surprising, we should throw a few draft picks/FA's at the PR position next season.

People can underplay how important it is...but as we saw on Sunday with Norwood, it can really change a game.

...even if we dont address it this season, which would be surprising, we should throw a few draft picks/FA's at the PR position next season.

People can underplay how important it is...but as we saw on Sunday with Norwood, it can really change a game.

I still remember the Christmas Eve 2006 Game where Rossum ran back a punt for a TD and they took it away for holding. It was also Vick's last game.

I think we should realize who decamillis was.Rossum was middle of the road.Decamillis put excellent special teams out his entire run here.

I think we should realize who decamillis was.Rossum was middle of the road.Decamillis put excellent special teams out his entire run here.

yeah I agree...I think he was an unfair goat...we always had great return teams when he was here.

I was just reading his bio, during his tenure here we were 2nd in the NFL in return TD's, and #1 in return yards allowed.

It really doesnt get much better than that....we were #2 to get TD's on returns, and we #1 prevented opposing TD's.

yeah I agree...I think he was an unfair goat...we always had great return teams when he was here.

I was just reading his bio, during his tenure here we were 2nd in the NFL in return TD's, and #1 in return yards allowed.

It really doesnt get much better than that....we were #2 to get TD's on returns, and we #1 prevented opposing TD's.

He did it with a couple regimes.He left when his contract was up.I think he was the best special teams coach we have had.When have to fair catch the best puntreturners look average or worse.Watch where the gunners are and see the connection in the returns.

With Decam...

1997- 2 KR TD's

1998- 1 KR TD, and 1 KR TD postseason

1999- 2 PR TD's

2000- 1 PR TD, 3 KR TD's!

2001- 1 KR TD

2002- 1 KR TD, and 1 blocked punt TD postseason

2003- 1 PR TD

2004- 1 PR TD, and 1 PR TD postseason

2005- 1 blocked kick TD

2006- 0....only year without one spec teams TD

Folks, thats 9 KR TD's, 6 PR TD's, 1 blocked punt TD, 1 blocked Kick TD.

We are going on 3 seasons without above average spec teams play.

Rossum is old.

Guest genn0226
I still remember the Christmas Eve 2006 Game where Rossum ran back a punt for a TD and they took it away for holding. It was also Vick's last game.

Was that game in Philly?

Guest genn0226
Vick played the quitty game and Schaub finished the season.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap?game_i...&week=REG17

That's the game I was reffering to. I thought this was the game everyone was talking about. I'm pretty sure the Carolina game was a week before the Philly one. Yet again, I don't really remember Rossum taking it back to the house in either game :/

That's the game I was reffering to. I thought this was the game everyone was talking about. I'm pretty sure the Carolina game was a week before the Philly one.

The Carolina game is the one where they ran the ball down our throat without a QB at home. It was very pathetic.

With Decam...

1997- 2 KR TD's

1998- 1 KR TD, and 1 KR TD postseason

1999- 2 PR TD's

2000- 1 PR TD, 3 KR TD's!

2001- 1 KR TD

2002- 1 KR TD, and 1 blocked punt TD postseason

2003- 1 PR TD

2004- 1 PR TD, and 1 PR TD postseason

2005- 1 blocked kick TD

2006- 0....only year without one spec teams TD

Folks, thats 9 KR TD's, 6 PR TD's, 1 blocked punt TD, 1 blocked Kick TD.

We are going on 3 seasons without above average spec teams play.

Yeah he was a great coach.

Tim Dwight was the best returner we had before Rossum. He was awesome.

Yes I remember that game everyone is talking about. It was the 2nd to last game of the year at home against Carolina. It was the 10-3 game. Russom returned one to the house and it got called back do to holding by guess who? #98 Ike Reese. We had so many holding #98 that year it was pitiful.

Yeah he was a great coach.

Tim Dwight was the best returner we had before Rossum. He was awesome.

Yes I remember that game everyone is talking about. It was the 2nd to last game of the year at home against Carolina. It was the 10-3 game. Russom returned one to the house and it got called back do to holding by guess who? #98 Ike Reese. We had so many holding #98 that year it was pitiful.

I know it sounds crazy, but our best returner, in my opinion, before Rossum was either Derrick Vaughn or Darrien Gordon.

Vaughn had a ridiculous 2000 season, and solid 2001 season returning kickoffs...and Gordon had by far the best year of a punt returner ever in Falcons history.

In 2000, Vaughn averaged 27.7 yards/kick return and had 3 TD's.

In 2001, Vaughn had a solid year with 24.4 yards/kick return and 1 TD.

In 2001, Gordon may not have had any punt return TD's, but did have the highest average a punt return by far for one season/Falcon career with 14.1 yards/return.

Dwight was solid overall, and was an explosive wideout too.

I know it sounds crazy, but our best returner, in my opinion, before Rossum was either Derrick Vaughn or Darrien Gordon.

Vaughn had a ridiculous 2000 season, and solid 2001 season returning kickoffs...and Gordon had by far the best year of a punt returner ever in Falcons history.

In 2000, Vaughn averaged 27.7 yards/kick return and had 3 TD's.

In 2001, Vaughn had a solid year with 24.4 yards/kick return and 1 TD.

In 2001, Gordon may not have had any punt return TD's, but did have the highest average a punt return by far for one season/Falcon career with 14.1 yards/return.

Dwight was solid overall, and was an explosive wideout too.

I remember Vaughn. He was great. What ever happened to that guy? I don't remember Gordon.

I remember Vaughn. He was great. What ever happened to that guy? I don't remember Gordon.

Vaughn was widely regarded as the worst cornerback in the NFL, and was cut because we just couldnt deal with it anymore...we are talking twice as bad as Rossum.

I do remember one good D play by Vaughn though, it was against the Cardinals in 2001. Chandler threw 2 TD's to Mathis earlier in the game, thus AZ was trying to make a comeback. Plummer threw a ball about 15 yards down the field to a wideout on an square out route. Vaughn jumped the route and caught the INT as he was horizonatal to the ground and dragging his feet out of bounds.

Other than that though, he was soooo bad at defense.

Gordon was a DB as well, and actually had schooled us HARD in the Superbowl when was a Bronco(2 INT's). He played with a few teams in his career, started 65 games total. He played for us in 2001 only. I remember in 2001 he set a Falcons record against the Cowboys in punt return yardage in a game.