a little love for the saints from the media

nolafan33

I'm a lurker wround here, but I came across this in one of the ESPN chats and thought I'd share it.

Ryan (madison): Is there really any elite team this year? There seems to be solid teams but no elite team like previous years with Pats and Colts.

Matt Williamson : (1:01 PM ET ) Agreed. I just wrote 250 words or so on why I think that NYG is the best team in the league right now, but I also am still picking Dallas to win it all. I do expect some teams to really step up though like SD, Indy and NO.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael, CT: The NFC south has got 4 of the best 10-12 teams in the leauge right now, who comes out on top?

Matt Williamson : (1:03 PM ET ) NO-no doubt in my mind. Look for my blog today on their O (wow, I am really pumpling my material today by the way). Anyways, in that blog, I said that once Colston and Shockey comes back that NO will have the best O in football-far and away. Also, I like their D enough now. They are a contender to win it all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike (New Orleans, LA): What's up Matt? I'm as big of a saints fan as there is and appreciate you showing them a little love, but number 3?!?! Even I couldn't rank them in the top 10 right now.

Matt Williamson : (1:04 PM ET ) All of their losses have been real close and if they play Minny 10 times in that environment, I bet they win 7 or 8 of them. Maybe putting them at #3 is based a bit on potential going forward and I love what Brees brings week in and week out, but which teams are you convinced would beat NO in a five game series?

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=23009

john riggins picks the saints #2 in the power rankings

Reasons:

McAllister is back

Colston is coming back

Shockey is coming back

Drew Brees #1 QB in the NFL

DE-FENSE, didn't know what to expect, but have answered the challenge.

Looks for them to step up against Carolina.

now go ahead and flame me, because all i and other saints fans will do is laugh in yall faces for not realizing how good the saints actually are.

now go ahead and flame me, because all i and other saints fans will do is laugh in yall faces for not realizing how good the saints actually are.

Ummm.... So let me get this straight. Because some people in the media like you, you feel somehow empowered? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well then, I believe we owe the Panthers an apology.

Ummm.... So let me get this straight. Because some people in the media like you, you feel somehow empowered? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well then, I believe we owe the Panthers an apology.

no, it just makes me laugh about how everyone except for falcons fans think the saints are a good team. even bucs and panthers fans man up and say it from time to time.

no, it just makes me laugh about how everyone except for falcons fans think the saints are a good team. even bucs and panthers fans man up and say it from time to time.

Just because someone holds your team to the ******** standards you hold others to, doesn't mean they think you have a bad team.

You are just too easy to rile up. :lol:

I don't want the dirtybirds to respect or admire the Saints. I just like to watch their hopes and dreams

disintegrate...as I'm sure they share the same sentiments likewise.

I dont care who tells me the saints are a good team, ESPN Sports illustrated, the local news paper? saints fans bucs fans or panthers fans, untill the saints SHOW me on the field they are a good team then they simply are not. 3-3 with a loss to minnesota that just almost lost to detroit? this is why no one could convince alot of vick haters that he was good, even though he had all the skill in the world

I dont care who tells me the saints are a good team, ESPN Sports illustrated, the local news paper? saints fans bucs fans or panthers fans, untill the saints SHOW me on the field they are a good team then they simply are not. 3-3 with a loss to minnesota that just almost lost to detroit? this is why no one could convince alot of vick haters that he was good, even though he had all the skill in the world

Even if they do show you, you should still think they suck cuz that is your duty as a rival fan.

Right now I think your team is being helped along by the media and biased refs. They are trying to create

another "feel good story" like they did with the Saints. Except the Saints are actually a far superior team.

:P

I don't think the Saints suck at all, they are a top flight Offense, with the best QB in the league, and a mediocre defense.

They played well in 2006, and should have taken advantage of that year.

They are under achieving so far again this year, although not quite as bad as last year.

If you are honest with yourself about your team, you will realize that the defense is still a problem, and you may get to the playoffs, but your outlook to win a Lombardi (what is really important) is what sucks.

Who is everyone? First of all, who is Mike Williamson and what accreditation does he have? Second, the Media picked us to win 4 or 5 games at the most, so what do they know? Third, the Saints are 3-3 for a reason.

Who is everyone? First of all, who is Mike Williamson and what accreditation does he have? Second, the Media picked us to win 4 or 5 games at the most, so what do they know? Third, the Saints are 3-3 for a reason.

why do you even reply to these threads? it's clear you don't open your eyes for the saints because of your hate for them.

1) he's a espn reporter, if you say something you expect it to be right and everyone needs to agree with you.

2) yall are in for a rude awakening, have you woken up from this fantasy world and looked at the upcoming games? yall MIGHT get 6 wins this year.

3) just because a team is at .500 six games into the season means a team isn't good? the saints are getting healthy and it will be a fun ride. all three losses are by a combined 10 points. you take 1-2 bad calls and 1-2 field goals the saints are 5-1 or maybe even 6-0. the falcons are 4-2, but the chargers are 3-3. so who's the better team?

all in all, the only reason i posted this is to show the select falcons fans who are always putting down the saints when in reality they know nothing about them, yall don't need to believe these quotes. it will be clear enough.

saints are good, but that doesnt mean we cant beat them. they have a nice passing offense, suspect running game and an ok defense, if you want to give them that.

we're 2-1 through what looked to be the toughest part of our schedule.

i think our game will be good. the saints have a top 2 offense in the nfl. our running game is coming along. our defense is underrated. we have played great the past 15 quarters.

as for the toughest part of the schedule, yall were choked vs the panthers. beat the most overrated team in all of football. and the bears have the 13th offense and 12th defense which is about average.

yall don't have sure w for the rest of the season. it only gets worse. philly, oakland, saints, denver, carolina, sd, saints, tampa, minnesota, and st louis. that's a tough schedule. i see 2-8 from here on out. you kept hearing how the falcons are overachieving, but now you are starting to hear about the tough schedule that will overttake them.

i think our game will be good. the saints have a top 2 offense in the nfl. our running game is coming along. our defense is underrated. we have played great the past 15 quarters.

as for the toughest part of the schedule, yall were choked vs the panthers. beat the most overrated team in all of football. and the bears have the 13th offense and 12th defense which is about average.

yall don't have sure w for the rest of the season. it only gets worse. philly, oakland, saints, denver, carolina, sd, saints, tampa, minnesota, and st louis. that's a tough schedule. i see 2-8 from here on out. you kept hearing how the falcons are overachieving, but now you are starting to hear about the tough schedule that will overttake them.

after philly and OAK 5/8 of our games are at home. if we beat who we're supposed to (rams and raiders) that'll be six wins. i think we could beat one of the division teams at least ONCE in our house. thats 7. i could maybe see us beating denver or minnesota. that's 8.

our offense is 8th in the league. our line has only allowed one more sack than yours. we have the 2nd ranked wideout in the league, the 2nd ranked run game, passing game is getting better and better each week if you watched. not to mention our entire team is healthy. we havent had anyone put on IR since the season started and our only 2 injuries are to laurent robinson and jason jefferson (guys who've barely gotten any PT anyway). they'll both be back vs philly.

when was the last time the saints beat the bears? you guys talk about our 2 wins over the chiefs and lions being easy wins, yet 2 of your 3 wins have been against the niners and the raiders.

once again im not downing the saints. their offense is really good their D is getting better, although IMO its still a question mark. you're better than your record shows, but you cant put the falcons down all that much. during week 3 you guys were saying weeks 4-8 was the toughest part of our schedule, and now that we've won 2 of the 3 games they're not so tough? come on.

DUDE THE saints lost to the **** vikings who got whooped up on by the lions? uve beat oakland and sanfrancisco who might be worse hen the chiefs and the lions? who knows, well maybe not the lions. the only good win u got is at home agianst tampabay but u got 3 losses agianst anyone else that would pose a threat of being good,/threat

after philly and OAK 5/8 of our games are at home. if we beat who we're supposed to (rams and raiders) that'll be six wins. i think we could beat one of the division teams at least ONCE in our house. thats 7. i could maybe see us beating denver or minnesota. that's 8.

our offense is 8th in the league. our line has only allowed one more sack than yours. we have the 2nd ranked wideout in the league, the 2nd ranked run game, passing game is getting better and better each week if you watched. not to mention our entire team is healthy. we havent had anyone put on IR since the season started and our only 2 injuries are to laurent robinson and jason jefferson (guys who've barely gotten any PT anyway). they'll both be back vs philly.

when was the last time the saints beat the bears? you guys talk about our 2 wins over the chiefs and lions being easy wins, yet 2 of your 3 wins have been against the niners and the raiders.

once again im not downing the saints. their offense is really good their D is getting better, although IMO its still a question mark. you're better than your record shows, but you cant put the falcons down all that much. during week 3 you guys were saying weeks 4-8 was the toughest part of our schedule, and now that we've won 2 of the 3 games they're not so tough? come on.

i think yall can beat minnesota, the saints outplayed them and should have blown them out looking at the stats. mistakes and officiating killed us that game.

you just admitted something that i didn't know. yall are healthy? that could be another reason yall are 4-2. two losses were deserved, the better teams beat yall. yall beat two garbage teams in detroit and kc, and then the most overrated team in football WHILE they weren't healthy. the bears was a good win, but i wouldn't consider them a great team. good is pushing it a bit. the defenses yall have played and put up points aren't great defenses either.

but you have to admit that the rest of yalls season is brutal. i've changed my final predicition to 7-9.

the saints lost to a sb bears team in 06, even though we were in it. and then we lost during the final week when the saints weren't really there, we were eliminated from the playoffs. the saints admitted that they didn't show up for that game. kc and det are two of the worst teams in football. sf is 2-4, but they played with the pats and eagles. surely could have beaten both. and then there is oakland, who besides the denver and saints game they could have won all there games. the 9ers and raiders are much better teams then kc and det.

i understand your not downing the saints, we have the top offense and a good, improving, unknown, underrated defense. i never said that the last couple weeks was the tough part, i have stayed with my guns on the rest of yall season especially the next couple of weeks being brutal. imo, you have to be blind to think teams like the eagles, saints x2, chargers, panthers, bucs, denver aren't as good as the pack and bears. if you ask me the pack shouldn't even be mentioned with those teams and the bears are a decently solid team. that was a good win. i'm not trying to put the falcons down, i'm trying to look for positives. but yall can't go by saying that the rest of yall schedule is easy. it is one of the most brutal schedules in all of the nfl.

why do you even reply to these threads? it's clear you don't open your eyes for the saints because of your hate for them.

1) he's a espn reporter, if you say something you expect it to be right and everyone needs to agree with you.

2) yall are in for a rude awakening, have you woken up from this fantasy world and looked at the upcoming games? yall MIGHT get 6 wins this year.

3) just because a team is at .500 six games into the season means a team isn't good? the saints are getting healthy and it will be a fun ride. all three losses are by a combined 10 points. you take 1-2 bad calls and 1-2 field goals the saints are 5-1 or maybe even 6-0. the falcons are 4-2, but the chargers are 3-3. so who's the better team?

all in all, the only reason i posted this is to show the select falcons fans who are always putting down the saints when in reality they know nothing about them, yall don't need to believe these quotes. it will be clear enough.

You do not know me, so why judge me? I'm one of the biggest advocates and ambassadors of diverse opinions you'll ever find on this message board. I'm not begging you to agree with me, but I am sharing my opinion with you and others. That's one of the many ways you learn in this world. That's one reason why you'll find me say in my opinion quite as much as I do.

You said that about the Packers and Bears.You do not know how many wins we'll get so why continue to stick your foot in your mouth?

No, the Saints aren't very good because they're consistently their own worst enemy and aren't very balanced. The New Orleans Saints were mediocre in 2007 and they're mediocre now. When will they get a defense anyway?

i think yall can beat minnesota, the saints outplayed them and should have blown them out looking at the stats. mistakes and officiating killed us that game.

you just admitted something that i didn't know. yall are healthy? that could be another reason yall are 4-2. two losses were deserved, the better teams beat yall. yall beat two garbage teams in detroit and kc, and then the most overrated team in football WHILE they weren't healthy. the bears was a good win, but i wouldn't consider them a great team. good is pushing it a bit. the defenses yall have played and put up points aren't great defenses either.

but you have to admit that the rest of yalls season is brutal. i've changed my final predicition to 7-9.

the saints lost to a sb bears team in 06, even though we were in it. and then we lost during the final week when the saints weren't really there, we were eliminated from the playoffs. the saints admitted that they didn't show up for that game. kc and det are two of the worst teams in football. sf is 2-4, but they played with the pats and eagles. surely could have beaten both. and then there is oakland, who besides the denver and saints game they could have won all there games. the 9ers and raiders are much better teams then kc and det.

i understand your not downing the saints, we have the top offense and a good, improving, unknown, underrated defense. i never said that the last couple weeks was the tough part, i have stayed with my guns on the rest of yall season especially the next couple of weeks being brutal. imo, you have to be blind to think teams like the eagles, saints x2, chargers, panthers, bucs, denver aren't as good as the pack and bears. if you ask me the pack shouldn't even be mentioned with those teams and the bears are a decently solid team. that was a good win. i'm not trying to put the falcons down, i'm trying to look for positives. but yall can't go by saying that the rest of yall schedule is easy. it is one of the most brutal schedules in all of the nfl.

i agree it is tough, really tough. the one positive thing is that most of those games are at home, so we wont have to worry about the opposing fans screaming at us and messing us up when we run the no huddle, etc.

it all will depend on our pass defense and whether our offense gets better in the redzone. i'll be one of the first to admit our pass D is bad. it's gotten better, a little, but it still is the weakness of our team and may hold us back. the last 2 games we won IN SPITE of our pass D and we lost BECAUSE of our pass D in CAR....and our inability to get 7's instead of 3's in the redzone.

when the teams has to pick up TDs they seem to do it, but otherwise it seems they settle for FGs. hopefully we figure something out in the redzone and improve. if so we'll be an even scarier offense. we HAD to pick up TDs late in the GB and CHI game to keep the lead and they did a great job in the redzone. we also HAD to pick up a TD early in GB and we got it. but it seems if we have the lead or if things are going our way the team kind of just settles. like i said that must improve.

i agree w/ your 7-9. 7-9 will still make me happy, not as happy as playoffs, but still real happy.

if only the dang NFC and our division wasnt so tough this year...... <_<

Sorry. Gotta rank the Falcons, Bucs, and Panthers ahead of the Saints right now.

If you beat the Panthers on sunday it's a diff story. I see a lot of you guys thumping your chest still about the Tampa win, but that game could've just as easily gone our way. Tampa's playing better at this point.

No, the Saints aren't very good because they're consistently their own worst enemy and aren't very balanced. The New Orleans Saints were mediocre in 2007 and they're mediocre now. When will they get a defense anyway?

Last year is over, why even bring it up? The Falcons were horrible last year - is it only a matter of time before they revert to their true colors? OR is a turnaround possible in the span of an offseason? We already know the answer to that one, but it's sometimes helpful to ask it out loud.

Our D has improved despite a rash of injuries, a fact you dodge everytime you swoop in to offer an appraisal. They've been steadily inproving every week. If they hold Carolina in check next week at home, then what? RESPECK? No, just more haterade.

A lack of balance isn't hurting our offense whatsoever. It's the mistakes and missed execution, things that can be, and are being, coached and improved.

The most balanced offense in the league right now is the Giants. Did you catch them on MNF, perchance?

i agree it is tough, really tough. the one positive thing is that most of those games are at home, so we wont have to worry about the opposing fans screaming at us and messing us up when we run the no huddle, etc.

it all will depend on our pass defense and whether our offense gets better in the redzone. i'll be one of the first to admit our pass D is bad. it's gotten better, a little, but it still is the weakness of our team and may hold us back. the last 2 games we won IN SPITE of our pass D and we lost BECAUSE of our pass D in CAR....and our inability to get 7's instead of 3's in the redzone.

when the teams has to pick up TDs they seem to do it, but otherwise it seems they settle for FGs. hopefully we figure something out in the redzone and improve. if so we'll be an even scarier offense. we HAD to pick up TDs late in the GB and CHI game to keep the lead and they did a great job in the redzone. we also HAD to pick up a TD early in GB and we got it. but it seems if we have the lead or if things are going our way the team kind of just settles. like i said that must improve.

i agree w/ your 7-9. 7-9 will still make me happy, not as happy as playoffs, but still real happy.

if only the dang NFC and our division wasnt so tough this year...... <_<

the problem i have is that these better teams will bring out what the falcons really are. and that's a young and inexpierenced team.

i do believe being at home will help, but it won't be enough. for example, i believe jim johnson will give matt ryan a expierence. where he will struggle and being at home won't help much.

as for the defense, especially the pass defense they are kinda overrachieving at this point because of the offenses yall have faced. the pass defense is bad, as you stated. lets look at the rest of the schedule:

philly- 5

oakland- 29

new orleans- 1

denver- 2

carolina- 14

sd- 8

new orleans- 1

tampa- 16

minnesota- 17

st. louis- 28

teams yall have played so far:

detroit- 24

tampa- 16

kc- 32

carolina- 14

gb- 10

yall haven't faced near the level of passing offenses yet that yall are about o go after. i know that doesn't mean but yall will auto lose. but it could go a good ways, and yall won't be able to drop a number of guys in coverage cuz yall will have to respect the run for every single one of those games.

Last year is over, why even bring it up? The Falcons were horrible last year - is it only a matter of time before they revert to their true colors? OR is a turnaround possible in the span of an offseason? We already know the answer to that one, but it's sometimes helpful to ask it out loud.

Our D has improved despite a rash of injuries, a fact you dodge everytime you swoop in to offer an appraisal. They've been steadily inproving every week. If they hold Carolina in check next week at home, then what? RESPECK? No, just more haterade.

A lack of balance isn't hurting our offense whatsoever. It's the mistakes and missed execution, things that can be, and are being, coached and improved.

The most balanced offense in the league right now is the Giants. Did you catch them on MNF, perchance?

I don't dodge, I just don't completely agree with it. Your defense has improved a pass defense (that couldn't get any worse), but your run defense is not as stout.

It's not just the imbalance on offense, it's also the imbalance on defense and special teams. New Orleans can pass, but cannot run. New Orleans can stop the run (to a certain degree), but not the pass. New Orleans can return kicks, but not defend returns or kick field goals (atleast with Dramatica). Just think of how good the Saints offense could be if they could run the football though (better than 2006, maybe?)

The Giants are still 4-1.

I don't dodge, I just don't completely agree with it. Your defense has improved a pass defense (that couldn't get any worse), but your run defense is not as stout.

It's not just the imbalance on offense, it's also the imbalance on defense and special teams. New Orleans can pass, but cannot run. New Orleans can stop the run (to a certain degree), but not the pass. New Orleans can return kicks, but not defend returns or kick field goals (atleast with Dramatica). Just think of how good the Saints offense could be if they could run the football though (better than 2006, maybe?)

The Giants are still 4-1.

could you take a look at my newest thread?

deuce is averaging 3.9 ypc which for total ypc in the nfl is about 15th. so that's promising. once shockey and colston come back we won't have those corners and safties (even backers) running free on the outside to shut down our running game. so expect an improvement there.

as for the kicking game, i think it's promising. mehlhaff looked good on sunday after he got out the butterflies.

and joe is right, not only ionsen88 but alot of the falcons fans try to put down the saints, nomatter how untrue some of the things that are said are.