Would you approve of these trades?

I want to know if you, the fans of the great Atlanta Falcons, would approve of these trades for this upcoming offseason (as of right now). If you do, I will incorporate them into my mock. If you don't...I probably will incorporate them anyway, but some might not carry over.

1) Chris Houston, CB for a 2009 2nd round pick.

The Ravens, 49ers, Browns, Patriots and Dolphins are all teams off of the top of my head who need man-cover CBs. Houston is a great man-cover who's services would best be used on a team that utilizes a man-cover D as opposed to our Cover-2 D. Houston is fast and physical and still a young promising CB prospect. When it comes to the 2nd round in the 2009 draft there will not be a better CB prospect available than Houston, period. He would already have two seasons under his belt so he could come right in and start. Those teams will have draft picks in a decent range (bottom-middle of the pack) so they would be worth trading with. The Cowboys need a CB too, as do the Packers, but they will but near the bottom of each round and thus not worth trading with.

2) With the 2nd round pick acquired from the Houston trade, with a Falcon 2010 5th rounder, trade them both for a 2010 1st rounder and a 2010 6th rounder.

There will be a fallen prospect that some team will want and not have the 2009 draft picks handy to trade up and get him. This kind of trade has been done before, and as a nice topper for the other team we will bump them up one round in the later half of the draft in 2010. We can give up a 2nd rounder because we have 2 thanks to the Houston trade, and now we have two 1st round picks for 2010. I want this because I think by 2010 we will be a near complete team that might need 1-2 things to make a real run in the playoffs.

3) Keith Brooking, OLB for a 5th round pick (escalator clause to a 4th depending on play)

I think it is time for Stephen Nicholas to get his chance at starting at the WLB spot. Brooking is old and not as effective as he once was, and while he is a defensive leader so are Milloy who I have us resigning and Abraham. Many people want us just to cut Brooking, but there are teams who could use his services, particularly ones that will be low in each round and need a veteran OLB. Two such teams are the Saints (have a huge hole at WLB since Dan Morgan retired earlier this season) and the Giants (Kiwanuka was moved from OLB to DE because of Osi's injury). A 5th round pick to them is worth close to nothing, while to the Falcons, who love to stock up multiple picks, does have some value.

4) Simor Fraser, DE (or Jason Jefferson, DT) for a 7th round pick.

Someone is going to need a veteran defensive lineman and someone is going to have an expendable 7th round pick. Very simply trade. Fraser is not someone we need because I have his replacement lined up in the 2009 draft. Fraser is 6'6 and 274 lbs. Brings versatility. Had 4.5 sacks in 2006 when he was a Brown.

Those are my 4 trades. Please tell me what you think - they will be incorporated into my v 2.0 mock draft.

We selected Chris Houston in the second round of the 2007 draft and so far he has been an adequate corner. His best game by far was the KC game. The biggest knock on Chris is his lack of ball awareness. I doubt we trade him in the first place and I don't really see anyone giving us a second round pick for him.

3) Keith Brooking, OLB for a 5th round pick (escalator clause to a 4th depending on play)

Let's face it, Keith has lost a step or two and is not the same player he used to be. He seems lost in pass coverage and has trouble shedding blockers. A fifth or sixth seems probable but we may just end up releasing him or restructuring his contract.

I really don't see this happening.

I would approve of them. Any value for Brooking is a plus. As for Houston, if we could get a second rounder for him I'd be for it depending on who we would get with the pick. I would like to see your mock before I say whether or not I approve of the trade. However, I'm not sure if we could get a second rounder for him.

We selected Chris Houston in the second round of the 2007 draft and so far he has been an adequate corner. His best game by far was the KC game. The biggest knock on Chris is his lack of ball awareness. I doubt we trade him in the first place and I don't really see anyone giving us a second round pick for him.

Let's face it, Keith has lost a step or two and is not the same player he used to be. He seems lost in pass coverage and has trouble shedding blockers. A fifth or sixth seems probable but we may just end up releasing him or restructuring his contract.

I really don't see this happening.

Basically. :)

we drafted Chris Houston in the 2nd round and he has played fairly well. Corners that can cover are hard to come by - why would we trade him and draft somebody again with no guarantees that the new guy could cover on NFL level.

NO - I would not trade Chris Houston....

Keith Brooking - YES, I would trade him for a toilet seat. Anything for Keith would be a bonus. I think Brooking's standing the the NFL in front offices is much, much lower than what people think here. Brooking is a "dime-a-dozen" talent at this point in his career....

nobody is trading anything for the other two scrubs you mentioned.

to be honest... no.

i mean if we could get a 2nd for houston thatd be tight. but considering we got something similar to that for deangelo hall (he did want a big extension and came with some loud-mouth baggage) who was a 2 time bro-bowler and similar in playing style (physical, man coverage, very fast) to houston.

i think wed be lucky to get a 3rd for him, if that. i figure we could just keep him around and maybe move him before his contract is up or when he is a RFA. i really dont see us moving him.

brooking... it would be a big cap hit to trade him so i dont see that happening at all. his value is hard to gauge because clearly his play is declining a bit but i really think he will retire a falcon. i dont think we will ever trade him.

and i suppose this last trade is possible but i really doubt its likely. so i guess i cant really see it going down either.

jmo i guess, but these dont seem probable to me at all. a wise man that used to post on here (BamaFalcon28) always told me that he thought trades were tools to simply make mocks easier. the more i thought about it the more i realized he was right.

to be honest... no.

i mean if we could get a 2nd for houston thatd be tight. but considering we got something similar to that for deangelo hall (he did want a big extension and came with some loud-mouth baggage) who was a 2 time bro-bowler and similar in playing style (physical, man coverage, very fast) to houston.

i think wed be lucky to get a 3rd for him, if that. i figure we could just keep him around and maybe move him before his contract is up or when he is a RFA. i really dont see us moving him.

brooking... it would be a big cap hit to trade him so i dont see that happening at all. his value is hard to gauge because clearly his play is declining a bit but i really think he will retire a falcon. i dont think we will ever trade him.

and i suppose this last trade is possible but i really doubt its likely. so i guess i cant really see it going down either.

jmo i guess, but these dont seem probable to me at all. a wise man that used to post on here (BamaFalcon28) always told me that he thought trades were tools to simply make mocks easier. the more i thought about it the more i realized he was right.

This is true if there are some prospects that you want but you don't have the picks to get them.

Not true in my case where I want to move certain players that I either don't believe fit in the Falcons defense or no longer serve a real purpose. I'm taking the angle that I'm the GM and I'm making the moves that are in the best interest of the team.

D-Hall wanted to be paid like Asante Samuel, he has a loud mouth, and he gets burned a lot (proven again a la Eddie Royal). I still think we can get a 2nd round pick for Houston - when the 2nd round comes around in 2009 all of the really good cover corners (Jenkins, Davis) will be gone. Houston is more experienced and better at man-coverage than Smith, Harris, Butler, Mickens and the rest of the CBs. There was a ton of interest in Houston when he came out and all we have to do is re-gage that interest.

I'll take the Brooking trade out after watching the Chiefs not trade Gonzalez because he meant something to the team.

I will take out the depth trade for a 7th rounder as well, but if it were possible I would pull it off.

keep in mind that despite the tons of interest in houston he still slipped into the 2nd round where we could get him.

im just saying. if we got a 2nd for him itd be awesome, but i really dont know how likely it is that well deal him. a 3rd rounder would be more probable imo, but i suppose if TD played hardball and waited until draft day then... maybe hed get more than that. who knows.

keep in mind that despite the tons of interest in houston he still slipped into the 2nd round where we could get him.

im just saying. if we got a 2nd for him itd be awesome, but i really dont know how likely it is that well deal him. a 3rd rounder would be more probable imo, but i suppose if TD played hardball and waited until draft day then... maybe hed get more than that. who knows.

All great GMs play hardball.

Do you really think Jared Allen was worth a 1st rounder and two 3rd round picks? Look at him this year...

All TD has to do is persuade a team that Houston is better than any CB prospect available in the 2nd round and that he is already a little seasoned and can start right away; OR he has to convince the Jets GM that Houston is a great man-cover CB and will do a better job than Lowery. I think the pick is a more probably trade.

Houston was overrated all the way ... right now he has the problem that he's in the wrong system too, a 3rd rounder would be like christmas, eastern and birthday on the same day.

GMs don't care if he'd be a better fit in their system, right now they have tape on him in the wrong system where he gets burned, so if they want to deal for him, his production now works as a benchmark for their offer, not what he "could" be in their system. In our system he's worth no more than a late 4th - early 5th rounder.

Houston was overrated all the way ... right now he has the problem that he's in the wrong system too, a 3rd rounder would be like christmas, eastern and birthday on the same day.

GMs don't care if he'd be a better fit in their system, right now they have tape on him in the wrong system where he gets burned, so if they want to deal for him, his production now works as a benchmark for their offer, not what he "could" be in their system. In our system he's worth no more than a late 4th - early 5th rounder.

He is very young in his career and they can look back at his game tape from Arkansas.

He is very young in his career and they can look back at his game tape from Arkansas.

Why would they? As GM of let's say Green Bay, I'd want best value for my team, so I would look at the tape that makes him look worse, knowing that he was better in college. But when I talk to TD, I wouldn't talk about the things he did well in Arkansas, but about the things he messed up in the NFL. I want to give up as little as possible and if there's no consensus, I'd take the gamble with the draft pick I offered, or go for a seasoned vet in FA.

Why would they? As GM of let's say Green Bay, I'd want best value for my team, so I would look at the tape that makes him look worse, knowing that he was better in college. But when I talk to TD, I wouldn't talk about the things he did well in Arkansas, but about the things he messed up in the NFL. I want to give up as little as possible and if there's no consensus, I'd take the gamble with the draft pick I offered, or go for a seasoned vet in FA.

Great point. And as the GM of the Falcons, you would try to get as much as possible for a player you want to trade. TD would point out everything he did well, and go back to his rookie game tape when we played man-cover when Houston looked very promising when he was in. The Packers, for example, don't need a season vet as that is what they have right now in Harris and Woodson. They need a young cover corner. Houston can play nickel immediately and while learning under two of the games best can takeover one of the spots when the first one, or both of them, leave(s).

Houston is still young. IIRC, he came out after his junior year so let's give him another year or so. I mean **** JA didn't get a sack until like what his 21st game?? Atleast it didn't take Houston that long to get a pick. He also plays corner which may be the hardest position in all of football.

Houston is still young. IIRC, he came out after his junior year so let's give him another year or so. I mean **** JA didn't get a sack until like what his 21st game?? Atleast it didn't take Houston that long to get a pick. He also plays corner which may be the hardest position in all of football.

I am not giving up on Houston - read my posts on him - I think he has a very promising career as a man-cover CB. His talents and skill set would go to waste in our Cover-2 defense. Like I said, if you ran a spread offense would you draft Matt Stafford? Stafford would look bad in a spread offense but great in a pro-style offense. Just like Houston would look bad in a Cover-2 but great in a man-cover scheme. We drafted Houston when we had a man-cover defense. We switched to the Cover-2 and got rid of D-Hall because he is a man-cover guy, we should do the same for Houston. I think the FO is reluctant to move him because he is a recent draft pick and is young and talented.

Mr. Offseason - You know I respect your opinion among the highest on these boards - if you were hired today as the GM of the Atlanta Falcons and Chris Houston showed the same play he at the end of the season as he is now - would you try to trade him?

i imagine i would. im just not sure how much interest there would be for him.

plus we are thin in the corner department already, so im not sure well trade him until we have another started ready to step in, and i think chevis is good in the slot for now.

we cant really afford to get rid of him yet, but i agree that hes better in man. my point is... he hasnt played too well thus far. his stock has dipped so his value is no longer a 2nd, maybe not even a 3rd.

if we dealt him for a 4th... id be a little dissapointed. id rather keep him and avoid playing an inexperienced CB there right now, as much as i like chevis.

i imagine i would. im just not sure how much interest there would be for him.

plus we are thin in the corner department already, so im not sure well trade him until we have another started ready to step in, and i think chevis is good in the slot for now.

we cant really afford to get rid of him yet, but i agree that hes better in man. my point is... he hasnt played too well thus far. his stock has dipped so his value is no longer a 2nd, maybe not even a 3rd.

if we dealt him for a 4th... id be a little dissapointed. id rather keep him and avoid playing an inexperienced CB there right now, as much as i like chevis.

We can't trade him now - deadline was Tuesday. But we would have an entire offseason to draft/find someone and groom them to start.

I want to know if you, the fans of the great Atlanta Falcons, would approve of these trades for this upcoming offseason (as of right now). If you do, I will incorporate them into my mock. If you don't...I probably will incorporate them anyway, but some might not carry over.

The Ravens, 49ers, Browns, Patriots and Dolphins are all teams off of the top of my head who need man-cover CBs. Houston is a great man-cover who's services would best be used on a team that utilizes a man-cover D as opposed to our Cover-2 D. Houston is fast and physical and still a young promising CB prospect. When it comes to the 2nd round in the 2009 draft there will not be a better CB prospect available than Houston, period. He would already have two seasons under his belt so he could come right in and start. Those teams will have draft picks in a decent range (bottom-middle of the pack) so they would be worth trading with. The Cowboys need a CB too, as do the Packers, but they will but near the bottom of each round and thus not worth trading with.

2) With the 2nd round pick acquired from the Houston trade, with a Falcon 2010 5th rounder, trade them both for a 2010 1st rounder and a 2010 6th rounder.

There will be a fallen prospect that some team will want and not have the 2009 draft picks handy to trade up and get him. This kind of trade has been done before, and as a nice topper for the other team we will bump them up one round in the later half of the draft in 2010. We can give up a 2nd rounder because we have 2 thanks to the Houston trade, and now we have two 1st round picks for 2010. I want this because I think by 2010 we will be a near complete team that might need 1-2 things to make a real run in the playoffs.

I think it is time for Stephen Nicholas to get his chance at starting at the WLB spot. Brooking is old and not as effective as he once was, and while he is a defensive leader so are Milloy who I have us resigning and Abraham. Many people want us just to cut Brooking, but there are teams who could use his services, particularly ones that will be low in each round and need a veteran OLB. Two such teams are the Saints (have a huge hole at WLB since Dan Morgan retired earlier this season) and the Giants (Kiwanuka was moved from OLB to DE because of Osi's injury). A 5th round pick to them is worth close to nothing, while to the Falcons, who love to stock up multiple picks, does have some value.

Someone is going to need a veteran defensive lineman and someone is going to have an expendable 7th round pick. Very simply trade. Fraser is not someone we need because I have his replacement lined up in the 2009 draft. Fraser is 6'6 and 274 lbs. Brings versatility. Had 4.5 sacks in 2006 when he was a Brown.

Those are my 4 trades. Please tell me what you think - they will be incorporated into my v 2.0 mock draft.

1. Unless Houston improve tremendously, a 2nd round 2009 this offseason is not within the realm of possibility, and if there is enough improvement to make him worthy a 2nd round pick, then I think it would make a lot more sense to keep him.

2. I'm really flabbergasted at the number of people who are wanting to trade 2009 high round picks. This is an incredibly deep draft. The 2nd round is going to have the talent level of typical 1st rounds, the 3rd & 4th rounds will be similar in talent to most years 2nd rounds. I really believe this is going to be the case. Agents are pounding these draft eligible kids with information about what's going to happen in 2010 in the NFL. Some of it true, some of it unknown, but they are painting the worst possible outcomes. They are telling these kids that if they go in the 2nd round this year, their contracts are going to be about what a pick in the 15-20 range will be if they wait until 2010 and there is a rookie cap imposed. Players who know they won't be top 20 picks, but think they could be day 1 picks are going to come out because they think the money is really going to be that much different. It's going to flood the market on draft day. If what I think will happen, happens, then the possibility of that type trade scenario is possible, but my guess is we'd have to give up a 2nd & 4th to get a 1st & 7th in 2010.

3. A 5th for Brooking is doubtful. But I also thought this was his final year under contract. Is he a FA in 2009 or 2010? If it's 09, then forget getting anything for him, a sign & trade would be stupid on another teams part.

4. Both are doubtful. Teams can wait on players like Jefferson & Fraiser to be cut in camps, they are a dime a dozen and always getting cut to save a few bucks as teams bring in lower priced rookies to fill out their roster.