Peter King names Ryan offensive player of the week

DeathFromAbove

Link

Offensive Player of the Week

Matt Ryan, QB, Atlanta. Big, big game against a very good Chicago defense -- in fact, the league's best third-down defense. On third downs, he completed nine of 12 for 135 yards. That's good. This is better.

With the Falcons needing about 25 yards to attempt a game-winning field goal with six seconds left, Ryan threw a perfect 26-yard strike at the left sideline to Michael Jenkins, and Jenkins held on while crashing out of bounds. One second left. Jason Elam's 48-yard field goal won it.

Folks, we may be seeing the game's next great quarterback growing up before our very eyes. To complete 22-of-30 for 301 yards, one TD and no interceptions against a defense that hounds the quarterback as well as Chicago does is a tremendous feat for a quarterback in his sixth pro game.

All those ACC picks haunted my dreams...

ANd to much was read into those picks IYAM.

Most of those picks came about b/c he had nobody around him and he was trying to make plays himself, thusly, forcing the ball. Or, the WR's would run the wrong routes and get his passes picked off.

Just goes to show that you can't always look at stats to judge how a player is gonna do on the next level.

I love me some Matt Ryan, but he is a Falcon, and inevitbly he will break my heart! I just know it, but I can't quit him.

Yeah I remember when the last QB we took in the 1st round made me think we could be contenders for years. This time around we seem to have a much more solid foundation though... management and coaches that are determined to build a TEAM and develop the talent we have here.

Here's to hoping he keeps proving us both wrong.

ANd to much was read into those picks IYAM.

Most of those picks came about b/c he had nobody around him and he was trying to make plays himself, thusly, forcing the ball. Or, the WR's would run the wrong routes and get his passes picked off.

Just goes to show that you can't always look at stats to judge how a player is gonna do on the next level.

I agree. I never paid any attention to the stats. I saw him play.