Guys, I am all for being positive

j105

I know there is alot to be pumped about right now. The recent thrilling victory, our rookies outstanding play and the 4-2 record. But I think we are in for a rude awakening soon. This team just isn't a playoff caliber one. Not now anyways. While all the recent media attention is great, all it really does is build false hope. The team has big problems that cant be addressed this season. However, this good play has definitely shown the team to be on the right track, and rebuilding will be a far shorter process if this success continues.

These things must be handled before this team is playoff ready:

-Another decent wide receiver or tight end for Ryan(remember how horrifying it was when Roddy didn't get up right away during the bears game? Thats because there is no one else to fill his shoes)

-A decent pass rush to assist Abe

-Some O-line reworkage

-Secondary help(Def most important in my mind, corner is a huge need right now)

As previously stated, im not intending to burst anyones bubble, just trying to keep things realistic.

But hey, heres to hoping the Falcons prove me wrong!

I have to agree with you myself, but I will not stop just being ecstatic over this team. But I don't think we are quite there yet either, especially since the NFC South is so tough this year.

Hey but next year I think we can seriously talk playoffs with the core we have here, and another offseason to address the needs we have.

I have to agree with you myself, but I will not stop just being ecstatic over this team. But I don't think we are quite there yet either, especially since the NFC South is so tough this year.

Hey but next year I think we can seriously talk playoffs with the core we have here, and another offseason to address the needs we have.

Oh me neither man, this team has been amazing this year. Completely blown me away. It is just highly unlikely they are playoff ready in my mind.

Everything that you pointed out is true more or less.....

I would point out 2 things though that are causing maybe a bit of unrealistic imagining of who are what we are right now.

1.) The media- It hasn't been the fans of the Falcons who have unrealistically pumped them up in the last couple of weeks as much as it has been the media. Steve Young was the first person (last night) who seriously said this version of the Falcons could go all the way. No serious poster who I respect has come close to saying anything like that. We are the Cinderella team right now and the media loves that crap. Remember this is the same media who just a few weeks ago said we were clearly the worst team in the NFL.

2.) Where We've Been- The history of this franchise is relatively poor but last year was a disaster of near biblical proportions. Coming from that far down it is completely understandable that many Falcon fans (myself included) would be genuinely excited and perhaps have unrealistic expectations about this year. I described it in another post a few weeks ago to being analogous to a man roaming the scorching desert for days finally coming to a water well....He might drink too much too fast and suffer from it.

Just my thoughts on it.........

Inconsistency mostly. Have been some pretty big penaltys. Nowhere near as bad as last year though, especially with Baker.

THe only thing the Oline lacks is experience. ..

The penalties come because they have a rookie (Baker), a second year player (Blalock), A third year player who is starting at a new position, and a second year player who is now startign for the first extended time.

I hardly think it needs to be 'Reworked' - just gain soem experience, and perhaps a depth player or two.

Inconsistency mostly. Have been some pretty big penaltys. Nowhere near as bad as last year though, especially with Baker.

as they gel and get progress the penalties'll lessen. their just young.

IMO, 7 sacks isnt bad. turner gets stuffed at times, but thats because theirs 9 in the box. we're starting to pass more, and pass more effectively which will help out turner some. our line's pass protection has been terrible for so many years i say if it aint broke, dont fix it.

i definitely agree with you. we still have holes. i STILL refuse to believe offensive line is one of them. this is tha best we've had in years honestly. of course we need to add depth along our oline, but i dont think we should throw a 1-3 pick at it. we need to get some more playmakers on this team, mostly defensively. my outlook:

1. target one key player in free agency. a defensive end in my mind now. if jamaal consistently shows up like last week, then change this key player to a WR.

2. draft a safety to learn under Milloy (who we should re-sign)

3. draft a corner that knows how to play zone coverage AND man coverage

4. build oline depth. people say tackle and guard. i say CENTER. lord knows what trouble Ryan will be in if McClure goes down.

We are 4 and 2. It is real and it is not necessary to act like we

are 2 and 4. We aren't hurting at receiver imo. Laurent Robinson

will get squared away eventually. Jenkins and Finneran are a

mismatch against all db's. Douglas is quick, Roddy has emerged

as one of the best in the league. When we get Robinson back

we won't have enough balls to go around. If you watched the

Browns game last night Heiden caught a bunch of passes and

our guys are similar to him skill wise. He was more of a force

than Winslow is in most games. We are good for now to compete.

We can get some more parts next draft and get even better.

I know there is alot to be pumped about right now. The recent thrilling victory, our rookies outstanding play and the 4-2 record. But I think we are in for a rude awakening soon. This team just isn't a playoff caliber one. Not now anyways. While all the recent media attention is great, all it really does is build false hope. The team has big problems that cant be addressed this season. However, this good play has definitely shown the team to be on the right track, and rebuilding will be a far shorter process if this success continues.

-Another decent wide receiver or tight end for Ryan(remember how horrifying it was when Roddy didn't get up right away during the bears game? Thats because there is no one else to fill his shoes)

-Some O-line reworkage

As previously stated, im not intending to burst anyones bubble, just trying to keep things realistic.

I agree with most of the comment. I honestly think if we get ahealthy Laurent Robinson, a hard hitter in the secondary and another pass rusher/run stopper we will be in great shape.

as they gel and get progress the penalties'll lessen. their just young.

IMO, 7 sacks isnt bad. turner gets stuffed at times, but thats because theirs 9 in the box. we're starting to pass more, and pass more effectively which will help out turner some. our line's pass protection has been terrible for so many years i say if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Only four teams have less sacks against. Two of those have the same or LESS numebr of passes than Atlanta.

(New York, Tennessee)

In a 500 pas season that woudl prorate to 22 sacks. THat isn't just 'not bad' but actually GOOD.

So going 8-8 is unrealistic? :huh: What's a realisitc season record to you?

Attitude will take you a long way in this league and those guys believe they can beat anybody as long as they play for each other. That's not from the media or even the fans, it's a mentality that they've adopted from believing in Coach Smith's "process".

I've always thought the Falcons had enough talent to get the job done, but what hurt past years teams was the mentality they had...there was no leader at QB or head coach, so now that they have a new found mentality and a QB and head coach that they'll play 60 minutes for, 8-8 isn't far fetched, 10-6 isn't either, based on the schedule of course.

I guess i'm a dreamer. Myself, i think ya'll bring up a lot of valid points with regards to needs in the secondary, dline, etc. But that being said, i truely believe, given the CHEMISTRY i've seen thus far, i think this TEAM will finish the year with a winning record. iI stand by my day one prediction of 9-7, so flame away!!!! :D:D:D:D

FALCON FEVER, CATCH IT!!!!!!!

Grady Jackson is a great run stopper and John Abraham is excellent pass rusher but we need a hybrid! Rod Coleman or a Rod Coleman type seems to be a great fit.

Also Lawyer Malloy is a great safety but he doesnt make recievers think twice about coming across the middle. If you watch our games teams constantly throw across the middle on us. I want us to find the fountain of youth and dip Ronnie Lott in it or get another knock your head off safety, I recommend, Gregg Blue.

We need to address our holes and not get caught up in the last game played (as exciting and great as it was!)

It's hard to restrain yourself in this situation. If we can win a division game and we beat the Eagles, I say we are a LOCK for the play-offs.

We can beat any one when every one on the team is playing at their peak but I think we don't need much to be a contender this year.

ethusiam is contagious...this team is feeding off of it...those that were on the wagon will make room for others...I agree, we got a long way to go, but hey, were we suppose to be 4-2?

Please say that guy in your sig made a "crow" video after Sunday's game...:lol:

-Some O-line reworkage

we all know that this team isn't playoff ready and probably won't be until 2010 but I don't see what's the problem with being excited right now.