Every DE Drafted Top 10 Since 1982

xFalconLord

This excel spreadsheet goes through all 37 DE's drafted since 1982 (when the sack was recorded as an official stat) to find out how they did in their first 21 starts in the NFL. The results are interesting to say the least. I will leave out the 2008 DE's (Long, Gholston, and Harvey) and focus in on the 34 others.

What I found was the average number of sacks for those 34 Top 10 DE's, in their first 21 starts was 8.57 sacks. None of the people on the list had less sacks than Jamaal Anderson (1). Furthermore, Reggie Rogers and Jamal Reynolds posted more sacks than Jamaal Anderson in a combined 2 starts in the NFL. Both appeared in 15 games and 18 games respectively.

Other interesting players on this list are the likes of Courtney Brown, drafted 1st overall. He had 9 sacks after 21 starts and is still regarded as a major bust of a pick.

The point is that players who have done better than Jamaal after 21 starts, are still labeled as a bust. If every player on this list was an all pro then I would tell you that Jamaal is just a little behind the curve. The fact is that Jamaal is dead last in the most important stat for any top 10 DE. He is stuck bringing up the rear behind a good number of players who never panned out.

top10de.jpg

Come get me Gazoo.. Im so mean. Im just a "Hanah Montana Groupie"

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a question. . but is there something magical about the first 21 starts?

I didnt wanna have someone who may have appeared in a game on special teams comparing to Jamaal who has started every game since he came to Atlanta. Most of the people on the list started since day 1, but others didnt start until half way through their rookie seasons etc. Its just a way to show equal playing time to every player.

That make sense?

And the only way these guys took more than 2 years to get 21 starts is if they were injured and didnt see action during a season. Almost all of these guys got their 21 starts in their first season and a half.

I didnt wanna have someone who may have appeared in a game on special teams comparing to Jamaal who has started every game since he came to Atlanta. Most of the people on the list started since day 1, but others didnt start until half way through their rookie seasons etc. Its just a way to show equal playing time to every player.

That make sense?

Save it doesn't actually prove anything, which is why I was asking.

\

Nice work. But as anyone who has ever taken a stat class will tell you, the data can be skewed.

Now go back and adjust your data for guys who only played DE for 2 years in college. B)

Mario Williams__ 3yrs HS / 3yrs College at DE

Gaines Adams__ 3yrs HS / 3yrs College at DE

Julius Peppers __ 4yrs HS / 3 yrs College at DE

Bruce Smith__ 4yrs HS / 4 yrs College at DE

I could do more but it is a stupid post that i won't waste anymore of my time on.

Point is he is a Falcon and when he was drafted he was RAW talent with only 2 years experience.

Guys get a life

I could do more but it is a stupid post that i won't waste anymore of my time on.

Point is he is a Falcon and when he was drafted he was RAW talent with only 2 years experience.

Guys get a life

I appreciate and give you congrats on your research.

Fact is were paying this guy to be a top 10 pick, soo maybe you should just send that list to Rich McKay.

Once you draft a guy top 10, he must produce. End of story.

Anderson is a bust and everyone is on a high after a big win and solid performance from Anderson. They are acting like he is gonna play that way every game now, unbelievable!

And you can probably remove Gholston from the list because I think he's a LB on the Jets, or is he?

Okay, and what does this prove. Jamaal had far less experience in college than those guys. Has Jamaal done well, so far, no. I keep the 3 year minimum for every player.

It proves that he is historically bad. It proves that McKay is an idiot. It proves that he is far behind other players who have turned out to be career backups.

All I am saying is that anyone who says I cannot have the opinion that he is a bust should realize that Jamaal is running a race in which he is already a lap down.

You guys can hold out hope and that is fine. I have made my decision and will be willing to take the heat if I am wrong.

Anderson is a bust and everyone is on a high after a big win and solid performance from Anderson. They are acting like he is gonna play that way every game now, unbelievable!

And you can probably remove Gholston from the list because I think he's a LB on the Jets, or is he?

correct Gholston is playing LB

It proves that he is historically bad. It proves that McKay is an idiot. It proves that he is far behind other players who have turned out to be career backups.

All I am saying is that anyone who says I cannot have the opinion that he is a bust should realize that Jamaal is running a race in which he is already a lap down.

Until the clock runs out, he is still in the race. There is nothing about the chart you showed me that says for certain that Jamaal WILL be a bust. He continues the way he was pre-Chicago through year 3, I call him a bust. Until then, I am going to stay o nthe fence. Jumping to conclusions based off stats isn't going to benefit me or anyone else on here.

correct Gholston is playing LB

None of the '08 draftees were included in the average sacks list. The reason Gholston was on the list is because he was drafted out of Ohio State where he played DE. NFL.com listed him as such, but he was not counted in the average anyway.

Just a question. . but is there something magical about the first 21 starts?

Interesting comparison. Nice work.

No question that the data is thorough, but the magic number of 21 starts was chosen soley to compare Jamal Anderson to the rest of the population. The fact is that, of the DE's that have been 'labeled' busts are now out of the league. Sure, Anderson may not live up to the expectations of his draft position, but he MAY eventually become a servicable DE on this team. The data does NOT indicate that Jamal may yet one day improve. It only shows that he acheived getting his first sack much, much later than everybody else.

I think he's just a late bloomer. Give him the rest of the season at least. Afterall his contract isn't up yet. There is still amble opportunity for Anderson to prove his value to this team.

Interesting comparison. Nice work.

No question that the data is thorough, but the magic number of 21 starts was chosen soley to compare Jamal Anderson to the rest of the population. The fact is that, of the DE's that have been 'labeled' busts are now out of the league. Sure, Anderson may not live up to the expectations of his draft position, but he MAY eventually become a servicable DE on this team. The data does NOT indicate that Jamal may yet one day improve. It only shows that he acheived getting his first sack much, much later than everybody else.

I think he's just a late bloomer. Give him the rest of the season at least. Afterall his contract isn't up yet. There is still amble opportunity for Anderson to prove his value to this team.

Good post. I respect your opinion.

I said yesterday that I hope he builds on this game and turns out to be a good defensive end.

This thread is directed at those who want to bash me for still having the opinion that he is a bust after his breakout game. I just wanted to put Jamaals play in historical context so it is clear that he has lots of work to do to meet expectations.

No one knows the future, but we can all have our opinions. Even us "Hanah Montana Groupies" B)

Nice work. But as anyone who has ever taken a stat class will tell you, the data can be skewed.

Now go back and adjust your data for guys who only played DE for 2 years in college. B)

How many had 1.5 years lifetime total at DE prior to enteriing NFL with rookie Bobby Petrino as their head coach and another NFL rookie as thier DL coach for the first 16 of those 21 games?

And once again I point out that falcontard has failed to show us the tackles of each one since in his own words tackles are not important. for a DE. Sacks.....that is the only thing that tells him if a player is good or not.

This thread has dropped the aggregate IQ of the entire message board 12 points.

Guys get a life

excellent post

This is where i stand on the great debate. I have been disappointed with his play thus far. Does that mean he is a bust? **** no! Of course people say he needs to show "flashes". He did that against the Bears. That's what he COULD be. He's just gotta keep working hard and hopefully that motivated him.

This works the other way as well. Just because he had a good game does not mean he is not a bust. He still very well could be, we don't know yet. If he keeps this up and does it consistently i will be very happy and hopefully we can stop all of this.

I want to see how he looks against the Eagles. We're gonna need him to step up again.

We had terrible assistant coaches here last year (including the HC) so the first real pro level coaching he is getting this year. I just want him to improve. This is more like his rookie year. I am very low on JA98, even after last week. But I doubt he got any real coaching last year so I will cut him a little slack. I hope he proves us all wrong.

This is where i stand on the great debate. I have been disappointed with his play thus far. Does that mean he is a bust? **** no! Of course people say he needs to show "flashes". He did that against the Bears. That's what he COULD be. He's just gotta keep working hard and hopefully that motivated him.

This works the other way as well. Just because he had a good game does not mean he is not a bust. He still very well could be, we don't know yet. If he keeps this up and does it consistently i will be very happy and hopefully we can stop all of this.

I want to see how he looks against the Eagles. We're gonna need him to step up again.

agreed, and I would add just one more thing. It has been said by some that you can;t tell anything from one game. I disagree, he proved he has the talent, where for months I've been hearing some claim he does not.

He was a beast Sunday and almost got his second sack in the 3rd quarter where he forced a bad pass (the play Mike Smith referenced as the "qb hurry".) In fact, there was only 1 sack and 1 QB hurry...both were Andersons. 2 tackles for losses, 2 passes defensed, almost had a forced fumble........he killed drives, he changed the game.

It's too early to call him a bust, especially if your reason for conclusding he is a bust is becase "he does not have the talent to play DE in the NFL".

I just keep seeing give Anderson a full 3 years. It sounds alot like YKW. Every year it was the same ole story. This is gonna be the year he finally breaks out. This is gonna be the year he finally breaks out. Did it ever happen? Yeah he had 3 great games in year 6. Outside of those 3 great games he was a bust.

Oh sure he got run and win games with his feet but when teams like the Bucs and Bears stopped him from running he got exposed. Point is I agree Anderson is a bust and 1 great game out of 22 isn't gonna change that.