Wow! Steve Young on ESPN...

The Vent King

"if we're talking about surprise teams in the NFL, why not the Atlanta Falcons going the distance?"

They were talking about playoff teams and Young said not only can we make the playoffs, but why not going all the way? I'm as optimistic a fan as any (most times) but even I thought that was out there. He also mentioned that Matt Ryan is playing as good as ANY quarterback that has ever come into the league. He mentioned Marino came to Dolphin team that was already good and so did Big Ben with the Steelers, but this rookie came to a team that was flat on its back when he got there and look at what he is doing. Young went on to say that the Falcons are playing as good with Roddy, Turner, and Norwood as anyone in the league and he can not believe it seeing what has happened with the franchise the last 10-12 months.

I think we have an outside chance at nearing .500 this year and MAYBE the playoffs, but I think Young may have tripped a little talking going the distance especially with that secondary....your thoughts :huh:

Don't get me wrong, I like Grimes and Houston I just think they're a little wet behind the ears. Its not there physical attributes, other than being a little short, because they have more heart than D-Small, but their experience in zone coverages and such worry me some. If Jamaal Anderson can play like he did Sunday though it may not matter though.

Each game brings a new challenge and past performance (or lack thereof) is not an indication of future success (or failure). Saying that, we have a very good shot at going the distance. But unless we win the next game, thought about going distance is meaningless. So, let's keep on focusing on next game and keep on winning them. Then talking about playoffs will not be about "going the distance" we will already be there.

players need to concentrate on the next game, were fans, we can speculate till 2012 and it won't help or hurt our chances gameday.

You are right. I guess we the fans, need to speculate and get our hopes up (as we should). But unbridled random hopes mean nothing really. But if we do win the Philly game that will prove a lot of things simultaneously.

1. We can win on the road against tough rival in a very tough stadium (not saying GB was easy)

2. Our defense can hold against very good QB and wr combo (will WestBrook be out at that time?)

We also need to win a couple of division games too before getting too excited. But ofcourse, this is just me and everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Wow Steve Young is drinking better Kool-Aid than I am, and I am on the good stuff.

Look I am as shocked as anyone at our record right now, but let's get real here. Our defense is just not up to par to play with the best teams yet, and our red zone offense is still not very good. Plus we CAN'T run against good defenses either. The Bucs, Panthers, and Bears totally dominated our run game. I wonder how well our passing game would have been against the Bears if they had their best cornerbacks in the game, and I also wonder what we would have done against a healthy Packers team.

Plus Young is totally discounting our own division, which is starting to look like one of the toughest divisions in the NFL. Let's see how we do against the Bucs, Panthers, and Saints before we talk about playoffs at all, much less a serious run at anything else. This team is too young, and does not have the depth on the roster to talk about championships.

I am just hoping for an 8-8 season at this point, and that will be considered an incredible comeback for a team that most people thought would be the worst in the NFL this year. We just may be better than I am giving us credit for being. But I really think we should just worry about the Eagles right now, and keep remembering there are 3 very good teams in our division we have to contend with.

Did Steve Young watch the Bucs game?

I'm sure he did. And he saw a rookie QB get roughed up in the first half and then really come around in the second. He then saw the Panthers game where Ryan was far better than he was in Tampa, but was betrayed by his receivers. Then he saw the Packers game where Ryan was excellent except for one miscue against a defense that was having some trouble. Then he saw the Bears game where Ryan was barely touched all game and dissected a very solid defense.

Bottom line, I think that Ryan learned far more from the Bucs game than the Bucs learned about him. I think that he's a FAR better quarterback than he was in that game. I also think that we'll get a rematch in our house and hopefully we'll have our best offensive linemen on the field (no Baker for most of the Tampa game and it showed).

Don't read too much into the Tampa game. Second game as a pro and the improvement after the half was dramatic. I think that his performance for sixty minutes against Chicago says an awful lot more about what kind of player he is than thirty minutes against Tampa.

Direwolf

yup, rebuilding a defense takes more time than just one off season. And our offense is just one injury (Roddy, Turner of Ryan) shy of being worthless

Yes we do need some more playmakers on defense. Sometimes I think it's the Abe show out there. I think most teams are one injury away from hard times. Look at the pats and now watch the cowboys implode.......

Wow Steve Young is drinking better Kool-Aid than I am, and I am on the good stuff.

Look I am as shocked as anyone at our record right now, but let's get real here. Our defense is just not up to par to play with the best teams yet, and our red zone offense is still not very good. Plus we CAN'T run against good defenses either. The Bucs, Panthers, and Bears totally dominated our run game. I wonder how well our passing game would have been against the Bears if they had their best cornerbacks in the game, and I also wonder what we would have done against a healthy Packers team.

Plus Young is totally discounting our own division, which is starting to look like one of the toughest divisions in the NFL. Let's see how we do against the Bucs, Panthers, and Saints before we talk about playoffs at all, much less a serious run at anything else. This team is too young, and does not have the depth on the roster to talk about championships.

I am just hoping for an 8-8 season at this point, and that will be considered an incredible comeback for a team that most people thought would be the worst in the NFL this year. We just may be better than I am giving us credit for being. But I really think we should just worry about the Eagles right now, and keep remembering there are 3 very good teams in our division we have to contend with.

Hey I'm just telling you what he said and I agree with mostly everything you've said. Its just fun hearing this kind of stuff after all the doom that was predicted for us this season. The way I look at it, all the wins after this last one is a step forward for this franchise, the players and fans. We were NOT expected to accomplish anything, h*ll even I said I was prepared for a bunch of losses but as long as I see effort and improvement along the way I'll be content with just that. After what we've all been thru the last couple of seasons, that's not much to ask for but now we've gotten wayyyyy more than that in a good GM and coach, an unbelivable rookie QB that's playing better than alot of veterans right now, Norwood and Turner, plus Lofton, Nichols, Sam Baker, Big Abe, and now even Jamaal Anderson is showing signs of turning it around. Yes our division is going to be tough to deal with, but I think the second go around with a couple of those teams will be a little different barring any injuries. And from week to week, every team is going to missing someone, or someone is going to not be 100% so to say what if the Packers were this and the Bears were that isn't our fault, we have to live THAT moment when we played- there no excuses in the NFL. If we did what we were supposed to do in the red zone, we'd rush for three TDs and the Bears cornerbacks wouldn't have mattered cause it would have been a blowout. What if Roddy was totally healthy? What if Elam hadn't shanked that first kick? That can go on for days and every week is filled with "what ifs". If we beat the Eagles without a 100% Westbrook is that going to be another? Not knocking anything you said cause you're speaking the truth but I think Steve Young may still be a little drunk from that game Sunday as am I still.... :lol: