Nnamdi Asomugha

#1 pick™

This off-season of course

Nnamdi Asomugha could be the best corner in the league. (Rating 94) He has excellent size for the position, as well as premier top-end speed. Asomugha plays better in a trail alignment, where he can use his speed to stay on the receiver's hip, than in man-off or zone.

-Scout.com

This is why I would be ok if we traded for Roy Williams. He understands the game at a high level. Most WR's don't understand the game to this degree.

Lions wide receiver Roy Williams on the toughest cornerback he has faced:

Al Harris is the cornerback that has given me the hardest time. That's because they run a coverage where they double-team the outside guys with a safety over the top. So the cornerback gets to be very aggressive against us. He knows he's got that safety behind him. The safety doesn't have to be down in the box because we haven't been able to run the football here in the past.

He gets all in my face and is so physical. Sometimes that gets to me.

Al is a big guy, but the reason he's good is that his arms are like elephant trunks. They're so long. When he walks, I think they drag on the ground. Once he gets his hands on you or in your face, that's tough. He can reach so far. He's good at that, but I don't think he can do it if he's facing a good running team.

- Roy Williams

(Grade 79) He has deceptive speed off the line of scrimmage and gets on top of defenders quickly. He tracks the deep ball well and can adjust in full stride. He creates matchup problems for most opposing coordinators.

-Scout.com

He is the one free agent I wish we would throw a ton of money at. Having him in the secondary would elevate the play of everyone on the defense. And I don't think he'd cost the kind of money that some of the #1 cornerbacks in the league have pulled in the past couple of seasons (Clements, Samuel) because he comes from a bad team and isn't THAT well known.

If we don't get Asomugha, I'd really like to see us go after Dunta Robinson. Either of them, combined with a healthy Von Hutchins, could really help our pass coverage.

(I will hold all comments on defensive lineman free agents until we see if Jamaal Anderson has turned the corner B) )

I love Aso. He is definitely out of Oakland, but he isn't really the player we need. I'd rather find a safety worth half that, because it would help our team more than pay someone $10 million a year, that won't really affect our pass defense.

I wouldn't give him that kind of money, but like I said, I'm not sure he's going to get that kind of a pay day - even though he's definitely worth it. And even though we run the Cover 2, it's still nice to have an awesome cornerback or two ... just ask the Buccaneers!

I wouldn't give him that kind of money, but like I said, I'm not sure he's going to get that kind of a pay day - even though he's definitely worth it. And even though we run the Cover 2, it's still nice to have an awesome cornerback or two ... just ask the Buccaneers!

He is worth it more than a player like Hall or that guy who went to San Fran, who is such a non issue his name isn't worthy to be remembered. But for the amount of money he is going to get (I would be surprised it it averaged to under $8 a year) we could get, say, a DE like Suggs, who could actually be a game changer. I stick by the idea of grabbing the best FS on the market, it we were to spend that type of money.

Man, we could probably grab Roy Williams too, and take some pressure off of Roddy White and Matt Ryan. He would be a better investment. Haynesworth will likely bring in that type of money, and is just way more impactful.

I love Aso. He is definitely out of Oakland, but he isn't really the player we need. I'd rather find a safety worth half that, because it would help our team more than pay someone $10 million a year, that won't really affect our pass defense.

After they grabbed D-hall you know hes out of there, he wants his and Al Davis can't pay 2 that much, and Aso is better without the mouth. ;)

i dont think we should look at a guy like ashomuaga, he is a man2man type corner not really a cover2 type corner, i would prefer going after suggs and wasting our money on him, also bringing in Sean Jones at Safety and Roy williams. a corner i would love to see here is like someone said before Rashead Mathis guy is a playmaker and a really good cover2 corner. Also someone i barely tought of is Asante Samuels altho i know he signed with Philly i always asaid he is a better cover2 corner not a pure man2man corner. i wish we would of taken a hard look at him last offseason now but o well. But once again i hope we dont even consider ashomuaga

I wouldn't sign a CB to a ~8-10 mil per year contract, that's just wasted money on a position that doesn't have impact on every play.

The only player that might be worth that kind of money in this years offseason is Haynesworth, but I guess he'll get even more once he hits the open market.

With no pass rush you can have four DB's named Ronnie lot and still get burned on a regular basis.

If we upgraded our pass rush a couple of our DB's would begin to look really good. I still think we need a shut down corner, but.....

don't freaking kill me for this, but I think grimes might work out. Yeah, he made mistakes, but he is a rookie and he made a couple of really nice break ups during the game. I think by the end of the year he is going to be playing really well.

I would much rather get a FS will a lot less money or a corner to replace Houston.