I SUCK at Madden!

I hate to admit it, but I ABSOLUTELY SUCK at Madden '08 and '09 on PS3. I have DOMINATED Madden in the past on original XBOX and PS2 and PC versions (2007 and previous versions). 2008 and 2009 KILL me. I don't know if it's the controls that throw me off more or if the game has just gotten that much harder. I can't throw worth a ****, I can't bust any long runs, I don't get sacks or INTs. I stink! I feel like a 90 year old man who's from the 1920s seeing a video game for the first time. It pisses me off! I need some help. I don't want to have to rely on "mulligans" (rewinds) to win games :)

My best rushing game with Turner is like 76 yards, I used to get 250 with Dunn on other Maddens. I used to get insane yardage with Vick as well. This team is better than it's been in a long time, but I can't utilize it worth a ****.

The key to running is, you have to pound the ball to be a succsesful team on the ground, your not gonna run the ball 5-7 times and break 1 or 2 wide open like in years past. 100 yards in a game, is difficult and you will have to run the ball 22-30 time in a game to get there with any back, and with Turner, it's empisised because you will have to settle for alot of 3-5 yard gains and stick with it. Passing the ball the best way to do it is in some spread, 3 wide, I tight, 4/5 wide sets, and then crossing routes, and in's and out's are all effective. Lately I'm having success in the 4 wide set and motioning the Right slot over to the left, leaving ethier roddy in double coverage, or in Iso on the side-line, if I have the double the slot I just motioned runs a slant and I hit him over the middle, if I have man 1--on--1, I run and 10 yard hook to roddy, later I set up a hook-and-go off of it.

The key to running is, you have to pound the ball to be a succsesful team on the ground, your not gonna run the ball 5-7 times and break 1 or 2 wide open like in years past. 100 yards in a game, is difficult and you will have to run the ball 22-30 time in a game to get there with any back, and with Turner, it's empisised because you will have to settle for alot of 3-5 yard gains and stick with it. Passing the ball the best way to do it is in some spread, 3 wide, I tight, 4/5 wide sets, and then crossing routes, and in's and out's are all effective. Lately I'm having success in the 4 wide set and motioning the Right slot over to the left, leaving ethier roddy in double coverage, or in Iso on the side-line, if I have the double the slot I just motioned runs a slant and I hit him over the middle, if I have man 1--on--1, I run and 10 yard hook to roddy, later I set up a hook-and-go off of it.

I do most of what he said. This year running the ball is pretty tough, so you can't really go run heavy and expect much success. I found that most of the successful plays I do come out of the singleback 4 wide formation, Singleback doubles, and another one where there are two tight ends on the line and two receivers on the left side of the ball. What I do is if in the first couple of plays I see that my running game is effective enough, I'll stick with it and do a lot of play action later on in the game. If not, Matt Ryan is good enough if you're a drop back and pass guy ;)

" I don't know if it's the controls that throw me off more or if the game has just gotten that much harder. I can't throw worth a ****, I can't bust any long runs, I don't get sacks or INTs. I stink! I feel like a 90 year old man who's from the 1920s seeing a video game for the first time. It pisses me off! I need some help. I don't want to have to rely on "mulligans" (rewinds) to win games My best rushing game with Turner is like 76 yards, I used to get 250 with Dunn on other Maddens. I used to get insane yardage with Vick as well. This team is better than it's been in a long time, but I can't utilize it worth a ****. "

That's why I shy away from Madden type games. Yes, they are fun to play and challenging but they are not very realistic. The game focuses on bells and whistles like great special effects, but you don't get very realistic results if you can get totally shut down or get insane yardage on a regular basis.

Everyone has their own preferences in what they look for in a game, but I prefer games that have results based on playing calling and personnel that produce realistic results, rather than a game where controls throw you off. I admit I suck at Madden as well although I did manage to beat my 12 year old son last time we played. Don't get me wrong Madden is fun, but I prefer games like Action! PC Football, SAT, or Strat-O-Matic that invest their time and money into realism and accuracy and the focus of the game is on stratgegy, but hey I'm over 35.

I am over 35 as well, 37 to be exact. I have a 15 year old son who doesn't even like Football !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Madden bores the snot out of him. I got it for ME to be quite honest! He likes Basketball only. I do like BBall but Football is good too. I can beat him on NBA Live 08. He beats me on racing games though. I have always been a geek and have always loved technology. I bought the PS3 for things other than gaming, but why not take advantage of that part of it too? I bought my Son his own toy for Christmas. He's getting an XBOX 360 elite (the black one) and my Daughter is getting a Wii. Between all of that, I'll be a busy gaming Dad :)

I am over 35 as well, 37 to be exact. I have a 15 year old son who doesn't even like Football !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Madden bores the snot out of him. I got it for ME to be quite honest! He likes Basketball only. I do like BBall but Football is good too. I can beat him on NBA Live 08. He beats me on racing games though. I have always been a geek and have always loved technology. I bought the PS3 for things other than gaming, but why not take advantage of that part of it too? I bought my Son his own toy for Christmas. He's getting an XBOX 360 elite (the black one) and my Daughter is getting a Wii. Between all of that, I'll be a busy gaming Dad :)

DIfferent strokes for different folks but there are different types of technology. The lack of graphics may be a turnoff to you, but the ability to join online draft leagues and build a team might. I believe Madden has online leagues as but don't know if you can split guys up and draft them onto teams and keep them year after year, but it is realy popular with the games I mentioned. I prefer using real teams when I play online, but there are quite a few guys who join draft leagues and play both GM and coach.

I have been so busy with work lately that I have not played madden since this original thread post! I sold my 60 inch LCD rear projection TV last Sunday and bought a 50 inch sammy and hung it over the fireplace so I need to get the old PS3 fired up on it this weekend. I am supposed to go get Little Big Planet this afternoon so I KNOW that's going to get played, maybe my daughter will let me sneak in some Maddden at some point so I can practice with your guys' tips!

It's nice to see older people playing video games (no offense). My gamertag has 07 in it and I feel kind of embarassed to be on there sometimes but I read in an article once that the % of people online over like 25 was real high. I forget the number but it was real high and I couldn't believe it. haha. I'm going to be playing video games for a while. :lol:

If it makes you happy PlumberGuy, I have the same problem. Rushing seems to be really hard this year, which is good because the results and stats tend to be a little more realistic, just my passing stats are always off, having a hard time getting to 200y passing. (and I don't even want to talk about my "Madden Test" results on the defensive side ...)

It's nice to see older people playing video games (no offense). My gamertag has 07 in it and I feel kind of embarassed to be on there sometimes but I read in an article once that the % of people online over like 25 was real high. I forget the number but it was real high and I couldn't believe it. haha. I'm going to be playing video games for a while. :lol:

Man, I remember the days when I thought that someone in their 30's was OLD :) It wasn't THAT long ago either. As you age, so does your perception of old. I now look at people in their 70's as old. 40's and 50's are not that far off from where I am now, 60 is getting into the "old" range (my Dad is soon to be 66 in January). I am however an OLD gamer to be sure. I cut my teeth on the Atari 2600 and Coleco Vision and Intellivision. Then later moved up to the Commodore 64 and NES, then to the Sega Genesis (most awesome thing of it's time, I played Sonic The Hedgehog relentlessly!). I then bought an SNES and Donkey Kong Country was played DAILY by me, my wife, my brothers in law (when they came over, which was ALL of the time!). I never had a Turbo Grafx 16, but came close to buying one a couple of times, never could pull the trigger! Let's see, also during that time I had an Amiga 1000 a Commodore 128D and my first PCs. I had gotten a 486sx and a 386dx and a Baby Mac which was useless. Then began the almost bi yearly upgrades on the PCs to keep up so I could play Rise of The Triad and Doom! Duke Nuke'em 3D and the like. I then moved on to the Dreamcast (skipped the PS1 and Sega Saturn alltogether). From the Dreamcast (which I still have, the black sports edition with a blue led mod :) ) I bought my first of many XBOXes, 2 are still in use. I've had PS2s as well, the original and the SLIM one. We even had a gamecube with the broadband adapter and Phantasy Star online, my son played online and was learning new "phrases" which led me to sell the damned thing on ebay CHEAP! I bought my son a PSP and daughter a Nintendo DS also. Then I waited and waited and a few months ago got the PS3. My daughter and son are getting a 360 elite (son) and wii (daughter) for Christmas. I think I will be playing video games for a while to come as long as the eyes and limbs hold up!

How long do you think your gonna play video games?

It's by no means a daily thing. But I don't see age as a reason to stop. I still watch cartoons with my Daughter and I still eat Cotton Candy and Fruity Pebbles as I did when I was a kid. Why stop? :)

Just to clarify, I don't eat those at the same time!