Falcons in market for Gonzalez? It's a very long shot

I've had several notes to the mailbag today asking about the possibility of the Falcons trading for Kansas City tight end Tony Gonzalez. I'll start by saying I've heard nothing to lead me to believe that's being considered, but I think the mere thought of giving Matt Ryan another weapons sure is intriguing.

You never can rule out anything in the NFL, but I think this one would be a very long shot. With general manager Thomas Dimitroff and coach Mike Smith, the Falcons have committed to building steadily through the draft. I don't see them suddenly departing from that plan and giving up a precious draft pick. If they really wanted a pass-catching tight end, they could have kept Alge Crumpler. But, as I said before, never rule anything out in this league.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcsouth/0-4-86...-long-shot.html

I don't see it happening. Tony wants to go to a team that can contend THIS year or next. With all due respect and love for the Falcons, we are not that team, at least for this year. I would love to be proven wrong, but the Giants have a far more realistic chance to get him a ring than we do now. If it was just about the money or being a starter, he'd stay where he's at. He WANTS a ring and SOON.

I don't see it happening. Tony wants to go to a team that can contend THIS year or next. With all due respect and love for the Falcons, we are not that team, at least for this year. I would love to be proven wrong, but the Giants have a far more realistic chance to get him a ring than we do now. If it was just about the money or being a starter, he'd stay where he's at. He WANTS a ring and SOON.

You are probably right, but I remember D Hall said the same thing

You are probably right, but I remember D Hall said the same thing

I think D Small wanted out because the "Thug" days of Atlanta were coming to an end. As much as I liked Crump, he felt the same way. Their love to back Vick got in the way of their job, so TD did what was needed. I personally would LOVE to have Tony, but he's going to choose someone over us I would think. IF he deciides to come here, I would be at the airport waiting :D

I would pass on him. He's not exactly very young. Sure the leadership would be great, but what does his contract look like? We don't really use a TE in this system as a pass catcher. We probably couldn't keep him happy because he wouldn't see a lot of action.

This years draft has a lot of talent at TE. I like Travis Beckum. He might be a little undersized at 235-240 pounds, but he makes it up with great speed (he runs a low 4.5 40, possibly a high 4.4 40 yard dash). Plus he's 6-4. He's a great pass catching TE, and thats really the only HUGE hole that we have on offense. Use him primarily as a pass catching TE and we'll be set.

Won't happen. We got rid of any tight end who could catch first and block second. Milner, who is not a bad player, he was cheap and would catch when necessary, got cut. Alge, who is also not a bad player, was expensive but could catch whenever, was cut as well. We picked up TE's who block first and catch later. No reason to trade away for the same player, just older, than the 2 we cut earlier this season.

I've had several notes to the mailbag today asking about the possibility of the Falcons trading for Kansas City tight end Tony Gonzalez. I'll start by saying I've heard nothing to lead me to believe that's being considered, but I think the mere thought of giving Matt Ryan another weapons sure is intriguing.

You never can rule out anything in the NFL, but I think this one would be a very long shot. With general manager Thomas Dimitroff and coach Mike Smith, the Falcons have committed to building steadily through the draft. I don't see them suddenly departing from that plan and giving up a precious draft pick. If they really wanted a pass-catching tight end, they could have kept Alge Crumpler. But, as I said before, never rule anything out in this league.

Is this a quote/link from somewhere Blacksburg, or do you write a column somewhere?

I think D Small wanted out because the "Thug" days of Atlanta were coming to an end. As much as I liked Crump, he felt the same way. Their love to back Vick got in the way of their job, so TD did what was needed. I personally would LOVE to have Tony, but he's going to choose someone over us I would think. IF he deciides to come here, I would be at the airport waiting :D

D-Hall got his change but hes going to have a long wait for the ring, his contract is like what 7 years. He better hope Al Davis turns the team over to somebody competent soon, He'll have a long wait for that ring. :P at least we won't have to hear his bit-ching. :P

Looking it up the Falcons tight ends have a combined 6 catches this year beween Peele and Harstock. I'm not sure that Tony G. is hte guy since I would like someone younger to build around but with our red zone troubles a good pass catching tight end would be really nice. We don't work the middle of the field that much and Sunday the linebackers were all up in the running lanes. It would be nice to give linebackers something to think about and a tight end is a qbs best friend in the red zone which has been our biggest weakness this year.

This is not going to happen. We got rid of Crump because he was past his prime, and his position is not coveted in this offense. TG is getting up there in years, and TE is still not that important in Malarkey's offensive philosophy. Honestly I think the Roy Williams trade has more potential, but I really do not see either happening. We want to build through the draft.

This is not going to happen. We got rid of Crump because he was past his prime, and his position is not coveted in this offense. TG is getting up there in years, and TE is still not that important in Malarkey's offensive philosophy. Honestly I think the Roy Williams trade has more potential, but I really do not see either happening. We want to build through the draft.

Kind of funny considering, Mularkey was a Tight end, He coached Tight ends, that he doesn't use them more, you figure he would? ;)