It's gonna be tougher to rebuild thru the draft

Thoughts?

With TD running our drafts and after seeing how many rookies are on the field for us, I look forward to the later rounds.

The man knows how to recognize talent regardless of their draft placement.

Oh, yeah...and you're an idiot for suggesting that winning is bad for our future drafts. Moron.

I don't think it will be a problem to fill in the blanks without a high draft pick. If fact I think it will be better. Except for a QB the idea of paying what most top 5 - 10 draft picks want is ridiculous. FA will fill a lot of holes and the positions we need FS, CB, SS can are usually picked late in the first round on, so it is a waste to use a high pick on one of these positions (i.e. Detroit). I think we will get a DE/DT stud through FA and maybe a second through a trade or development.

Another thing to consider. Because the current NFL collective bargaining agreement is going to be thrown out the door in 2010 a lot of juniors are going to be coming out for the draft this year (the rookie contracts are going to go waayyyyyy down). There is going to be a lot of raw talent available in the draft this year. I would bet that you will be able to pick up a guy early third round that might have gone first round next year if he had waited. Might need a little more development, but a second round pick next year is as goos as a first if picked wisely.

Thoughts?

It would be tougher to rebuild through the draft. Fortunately for us, the "re" portion of that statement started and ended in this draft, the "build" portion will continue for all the drafts to come.

As far as having later picks, I like our odds

Sam Baker with the 21st pick in the draft

Curtis Lofton with the 37th pick in the draft

Harry Douglas with the 84th pick in the draft

Notable Mentions

Chevis Jackson with the 68th pick in the draft

Kroy Biermann with the 154th pick in the draft

Late 1st round picks usually have smaller contracts, In the cap era that is very important.

Keep on winning

Bingo.

When you draft a player at the top of the draft there's maybe a 50/50 chance they'll work out.

What is guarenteed is that their salary is going to be HUGE... until they put in a rookie cap.

Disagree. This is a great year to build through the draft. The most talented crop of juniors to ever come out because agents are filling their heads with ideas regarding the CBA. This will be the deepest draft we've ever seen and there may be almost 2 full rounds of 1st round talent players. With a very good scouting department, I feel we can take great advantage of the depth in this upcoming draft & get the quality of 2 years of drafting in this one draft. I would LOVE to see us make a trade or two so that we could get a few extra picks, especially in the 2nd/3rd round area. This might even be the rare occasion where I would be in favor of trading a future pick.

Disagree. This is a great year to build through the draft. The most talented crop of juniors to ever come out because agents are filling their heads with ideas regarding the CBA. This will be the deepest draft we've ever seen and there may be almost 2 full rounds of 1st round talent players. With a very good scouting department, I feel we can take great advantage of the depth in this upcoming draft & get the quality of 2 years of drafting in this one draft. I would LOVE to see us make a trade or two so that we could get a few extra picks, especially in the 2nd/3rd round area. This might even be the rare occasion where I would be in favor of trading a future pick.

Yeah, but most draft picks are busts. If someone would trade a good/high potential player for lets say a number 2 pick it would probably be a wise choice. I say this because of what you pointed out. The CBA will be re-tooled in 2010 so every Junior that has any talent is going to try for the draft. If we give up a second or third round draft pick there is still going to be a lot of talent and you know where you stand with a player after he has been out for 3 or 4 years.

I'm not saying to give away picks for free, but there will be at least one team that is going to give up some high draft picks to pick up young talent this year. Probably won't happen before the trade deadline, but I'm willing to be it will once the season is over.

Nah, look at the Colts. That's what we need to model. It starts with consistency with the coaching staff. That way we can draft players to fit our system. In the past, we've drafted guys to fit a system, only to get a whole new staff and a new system. You can build throught the draft no matter where you draft. The great teams build through the draft and sign FA's for depth. We'll get there.