NFL Live

Falconsfan567

It's a fair question.

If you were a Bears fan - would you think they should've been?

Not when the Falcons totally dominated the first 3 quarters of the game. If Michael Jenkins catches that TD than the Bears NEVER have the lead. If it wasn't for a BS penalty taking a TD away from Roddy White than the Bears NEVER have the lead. I know those are if's but still. The Bears should be LUCKY they had a chance to win this game.

Yeah me too. Glad they didn't say anything about that.

That's because it's only an excuse in the minds of Bears fans want to use that fairy tale to make themselves feel better for losing a heartbreaker to the "lowly" Falcons with their rookie QB (who lit them up for over 300 yards passing.)

You know? How SOME of our more "emotional/delusional" fans say as to how the refs were paid off when we lose?

Not when the Falcons totally dominated the first 3 quarters of the game. If Michael Jenkins catches that TD than the Bears NEVER have the lead. If it wasn't for a BS penalty taking a TD away from Roddy White than the Bears NEVER have the lead. I know those are if's but still. The Bears should be LUCKY they had a chance to win this game.

I saw much of the game - and I agree Atlanta played better - but I would stop short of caling it dominant. Your first 3 scores were field goals, not TDs. If you were dominating them, they wouldn't have succeeded in holding you to 3 vs. 6 those times.

I guess I just don't get why so many fans get upset at ESPN (or any other station) for comments like this.

If I'm a Bears fan I'm thinking this - "We held them to FGs instead of TDs and kept ourselves in the game long enough for Orton to lead us to a late winning TD drive. How in the **** do we let them complete a deep sideline pass when we all knew that route was their only chance??? We failed utterly.

I'm just saying there are two sides to every story. The Falcons deserved the win - I'm not suggesting they didn't. But if I'm getting paid to analyze a game I certainly am going to criticize the Bears for allowing that last play to happen. I'm sure that's all the comment meant.

Yes, if I were a Bears fan I would question only that one second. I would not question the extra second that ran off the clock after CHI scored nor the extra second that rolled off after Jenkins went out of bounds.

I'm not even referring to the clock. If you are the Bears you just can't allow a sideline completion at that time. You just can't

I saw much of the game - and I agree Atlanta played better - but I would stop short of caling it dominant. Your first 3 scores were field goals, not TDs. If you were dominating them, they wouldn't have succeeded in holding you to 3 vs. 6 those times.

I guess I just don't get why so many fans get upset at ESPN (or any other station) for comments like this.

If I'm a Bears fan I'm thinking this - "We held them to FGs instead of TDs and kept ourselves in the game long enough for Orton to lead us to a late winning TD drive. How in the **** do we let them complete a deep sideline pass when we all knew that route was their only chance??? We failed utterly.

I'm just saying there are two sides to every story. The Falcons deserved the win - I'm not suggesting they didn't. But if I'm getting paid to analyze a game I certainly am going to criticize the Bears for allowing that last play to happen. I'm sure that's all the comment meant.

Even the announcers were saying we dominated in 3 quarters of that game. True, we didn't get tds and settled for field goals. However, most here think that this is more a product of our rather inexperienced offense rather than the great play of another's defense.

Even the announcers were saying we dominated in 3 quarters of that game. True, we didn't get tds and settled for field goals. However, most here think that this is more a product of our rather inexperienced offense rather than the great play of another's defense.

Then I guess I would say those announcers, like many in their field, use hyperbole too often.

The score was 12-10 after 3 quarters.

I think I just have a different definition of 'dominate'.

I'm not even referring to the clock. If you are the Bears you just can't allow a sideline completion at that time. You just can't

We can say the same thing. You just can't miss a 33 yard field goal when you are already up by 6 with under 3 minutes left. You just can't.

As much as they can sit there and say they shouldn't of let us complete that pass, we can sit there and say they shouldn't of ever had the lead to begin with. It is what it is. Both teams missed an opportunity to win that game, fortunately we found another opportunity and took it.

Exactly. It's not exactly a surprise to see the Falcons struggle in the red zone. It's been happening all season for the most part. But our defense held them to 10 points for 3 quarters.

We can say the same thing. You just can't miss a 33 yard field goal when you are already up by 6 with under 3 minutes left. You just can't.

As much as they can sit there and say they shouldn't of let us complete that pass, we can sit there and say they shouldn't of ever had the lead to begin with. It is what it is. Both teams missed an opportunity to win that game, fortunately we found another opportunity and took it.

Exactly

And if the situation was reversed, ESPN would be asking if the Bears should've been in position to win the game.

Exactly. Kicking off, ahead, with 11 seconds left, there is no way you should lose a game. Aside from the completion, you have the squib kick. I know Jerious has turned into a pretty good return guy, but you're paying 11 guys good money to make a special teams tackle. Kick it deep and trust them to do their job, instead of running a much less practiced play that automatically gives your opposition good field position.

Exactly. Kicking off, ahead, with 11 seconds left, there is no way you should lose a game. Aside from the completion, you have the squib kick. I know Jerious has turned into a pretty good return guy, but you're paying 11 guys good money to make a special teams tackle. Kick it deep and trust them to do their job, instead of running a much less practiced play that automatically gives your opposition good field position.

I totally agree. I have never liked the squib kick. I feel like you kick it deep and then make the tackle. If the guy returns it for a TD than you deserve to get beat.

Well, in defense of Lovie, if you are afraid of the returner, you usually squib kick it. Heck, we squib kicked every kick yesterday because of Hester. The only reason people are going after Lovie is because this time, it didn't work. It's another case of accepting a call that works as a good call (M. Smith) and questioning a call because it didn't work (L. Smith). Same call, the difference was in the execution.

Well, in defense of Lovie, if you are afraid of the returner, you usually squib kick it. Heck, we squib kicked every kick yesterday because of Hester. The only reason people are going after Lovie is because this time, it didn't work. It's another case of accepting a call that works as a good call (M. Smith) and questioning a call because it didn't work (L. Smith). Same call, the difference was in the execution.

Well, we were doing sort of a deep squib. Hester was still getting his hands on the ball. Also, Hester has proven to be one of the greatest return men ever. I love Jerious, but he ain't there yet.

But it's never a good idea when you're only up 2 to give your opponent the ball in a position where one 25 yard throw puts them in position for a game winning kick. If we were up 2 with 11 seconds left, I would hope we kick it deep, even to Hester. Even on a great return, it's going to eat up most if not all of the clock.

Plus, their kicker was putting Norwood a couple yards deep in the endzone on every kick. Is there no way he could man up and just kick it a bit deeper and force a touchback?

Exactly

And if the situation was reversed, ESPN would be asking if the Bears should've been in position to win the game.

Let's not get carried away here. If the situation was reversed, ESPN would slob on Da Bears knob. I think the original posters message was missed in his complaint. I will be more explicit so there's no confusion.

ESPN has their picks, and when their picks win it's because ESPN said they would win because they are the better team. When their pick doesn't win, it's because ESPN's pick somehow lost the game. In other words, ESPN thought the Bears would win and rather than reporting on how the Falcons pulled out the win they report on how the Bears lost it. If the Bears would've won, it would've been about how good the 4-2 Bears are and how they found a way to win.

Case in point, the Falcons beat Detroit because Detroit was a "worse" team. The Falcons lose to TB because TB is a good team and we are not there yet. The Falcons beat KC because KC was a "worse" team. The Falcons lose to Car because Car is a good team and we are not there yet. The Falcons beat Green Bay and Rodgers was heroic playing through injury, we are better than they thought we were, but really GB is not as good as they thought they were. The Falcons beat Chi because Chi blew it in the last 11 seconds. See a pattern here?

Let's not get carried away here. If the situation was reversed, ESPN would slob on Da Bears knob. I think the original posters message was missed in his complaint. I will be more explicit so there's no confusion.

ESPN has their picks, and when their picks win it's because ESPN said they would win because they are the better team. When their pick doesn't win, it's because ESPN's pick somehow lost the game. In other words, ESPN thought the Bears would win and rather than reporting on how the Falcons pulled out the win they report on how the Bears lost it. If the Bears would've won, it would've been about how good the 4-2 Bears are and how they found a way to win.

Case in point, the Falcons beat Detroit because Detroit was a "worse" team. The Falcons lose to TB because TB is a good team and we are not there yet. The Falcons beat KC because KC was a "worse" team. The Falcons lose to Car because Car is a good team and we are not there yet. The Falcons beat Green Bay and Rodgers was heroic playing through injury, we are better than they thought we were, but really GB is not as good as they thought they were. The Falcons beat Chi because Chi blew it in the last 11 seconds. See a pattern here?

Exactly.