I thought a QB had to run a 4.2 or 4.3 40 to avoid

Falcons2Win10

I never believed in that. I argued that making the correct reads, beating the blitz, and making accurate throws would help the OL enough to where a good QB can mask a percentage of their flaws.

I can tell you now, with examples, that I was correct.

If Matt Ryan continues playing at this level we will see an even stronger run game and in turn really open up our offense. Imagine the possibilities that Ryan gives us without the physical ability to run really fast. Running fast isn't necessary to avoid sacks. This is the NFL, not a game played in your back yard by kids ages 6-18 all playing at the same time.

Matt Ryan is showing that there is no need to dwell on the idea of re-inventing the wheel. Forget about it.

This is a great time to be a Falcon fan. We are getting respect from around the league and we're doing it with hard work and team ideas. We have started building the foundation for a team that will be competitive for years to come and will make us proud while doing it. We have started a new chapter in this franchise and it's one that will be much more entertaining than any we've ever had, and consistently.

And one last thing. We have some of the best fans in the NFL. We may not have the number of fans that some teams have (yet) but the ones we do have are some of the best there is.

I never believed in that. I argued that making the correct reads, beating the blitz, and making accurate throws would help the OL enough to where a good QB can mask a percentage of their flaws.

If Matt Ryan continues playing at this level we will see an even stronger run game and in turn really open up our offense. Imagine the possibilities that Ryan gives us without the physical ability to run really fast. Running fast isn't necessary to avoid sacks. This is the NFL, not a game played in your back yard by kids ages 6-18 all playing at the same time.

Matt Ryan is showing that there is no need to dwell on the idea of re-inventing the wheel. Forget about it.

This is a great time to be a Falcon fan. We are getting respect from around the league and we're doing it with hard work and team ideas. We have started building the foundation for a team that will be competitive for years to come and will make us proud while doing it. We have started a new chapter in this franchise and it's one that will be much more entertaining than any we've ever had, and consistently.

And one last thing. We have some of the best fans in the NFL. We may not have the number of fans that some teams have (yet) but the ones we do have are some of the best there is.

Nice try....remember what happened to Ryan when Weiner was in.....this OL is totally revamped....don't even try it. Remember last year....how many sacks? <_<

The 40 speed of a QB used to avoid sack theory was disproved during a 6 year experiment in Atlanta.

Let's not forget that a Qb can make the line look better as well. Reading the defense, checking off, making adjustments at the line, making hot reads and delivering on time. There is a lot more to sack avoidance than speed and agility.

The few times that Ryan has had to tuck it and run, he's actually done that fairly well too. He's no threat to run the field but he's no statue either.

I don't want to make you sound bad, but don't forget we got rid of Gandy, Weiner and Forney as starters. Though Weiner is still here, he's not even starting material.

My point: I always explained my opinion that Forney and Weiner were worst than Clabo and Foster or whoever else is in other than those two.

We will never know. Drop the topic and move on. Be glad we have who we have and Matt Ryan to execute our O.

Different line coach.

......and??? What about last year Sir???

Last year we did not have a QB that could beat the blitz the way Ryan can. So much is made about the o-line when sacks are high, when it may not be the o-line at all. A RB has to be able to pick up the blitz and a QB has to make a team pay for blitzing. Otherwise, a defense will blitz the heck out of the offense, making the o-line appear worse than they really are. As for last year, don't forget that we finished the year with no healthy tackles left on our roster. We used a combination of guards and max-protect with two tightends.

Last year we did not have a QB that could beat the blitz the way Ryan can. So much is made about the o-line when sacks are high, when it may not be the o-line at all. A RB has to be able to pick up the blitz and a QB has to make a team pay for blitzing. Otherwise, a defense will blitz the heck out of the offense, making the o-line appear worse than they really are. As for last year, don't forget that we finished the year with no healthy tackles left on our roster. We used a combination of guards and max-protect with two tightends.

My point is last year we didn't have a QB that could run a 4.2 or 4.3 and we were pretty close to being at the top for sacks allowed.... <_<

My point is last year we didn't have a QB that could run a 4.2 or 4.3 and we were pretty close to being at the top for sacks allowed.... <_<

Okay, this I can agree with. My point is simply that many focus the blame all on the o-line when sacks happen and all the credit when there are no sacks; when, in reality, it is a combination of o-line, rb, receiver, and QB that plays a part. BTW, Baker is the only one here that wasn't here last year. Anyways, it's cool. ;)

In fairness this isn't the exact O line from 2 years ago and Greg Knapp is ghost. Ryan gets the ball out of his hands quicker and the play calling is nowhere near as stale and predictable. You put Wayne Gandy at LT and the bargain basement steroid user at guard and it would be a different story, lets not act brand new.

There are 3 critical things to avoiding sacks:

OL

QB

WR

If the OL is great, the QB and WR can be lesser and still have few sacks. If the OL isn't solid, you need BOTH the QB and WR to be good enough. The QB has to know where the open man should be, but you also have to WRs who get open QUICKLY. I think Matt Ryan clearly has the mental aspect of the game down, but when Vick was here we had a worse line, and more importantly poor route designs and mediocre receivers such that receivers weren't open quickly.

If you notice this year, Matt Ryan isn't taking a lot of 7 step slow developing play drops. There are a lot of 2 second throws. The line is doing better, but we're not relying on them to hold for long. We're able to do this because we have receivers getting open quickly. The days of manning up on our receivers and bringing 9 are over.

Intelligent thread.....nah...why don't you come out and say YKW. The stupid shots still keep coming. Maybe some of the success has to deal with better schemes, a better OL AND a qb who makes quick decisions. Everyone should be in love with what Ryan is doing. But better coaching, better OL personnel all contribute. I could care if he ran a 4.0 or 6.0 as long as he wins.

When you have a guy like Joey Harrington, who needs 7 seconds in order to check down, that's going to happen. I remember we had 13 sacks in our first two games, at least 7 of them being clearly on Harrington holding onto the ball.

You do realize that 80% of our starting offensive line is new don't you? Dahl, Clabo, Blalock and Baker were not starters when Vick was here...

The talent on our offensive line has been significantly upgraded, and I'll say it's about **** time...

Ryan is doing a great job as well, and he's certainly doing his part...