MATT RYAN HAS "IT"

J-Nice

To get in the NFL you must have talent. Everyone has talent but there's always something that seperates the bad from the mediocre, and the good from the great.

Ive been a fan since 98 and over the years we've had our share of different QBs and Matt has surpassed them all in his skillset in addition to intangible qualities.

I think think the "it" that Coach Smith talked about is a combination of Poise, Timing and Confidence.

I'll compare Matt with Atlanta's last two somewhat successfull QBs Chandler and Vick. Everyone else who started besides them were mediocre or just garbage so we wont go there. These are my opinion and i dont have stats to back it up so if you disagree with something, so be it.

Physical Qualities:

ARM STRENGTH - Matt is probably the weakest of the three. Slightly behind Chandler but this isnt a diss because Chandler was a gunslinger. We all know Vick could throw it out the dome so he wins this one. VICK

MOBILITY - Vick... Duh. Ryan is great with his though. Ryan probably makes better use of his mobility because he can make just about any throw on the run. Chandler might as well have had both legs sealed with bronze and dipped in concrete. VICK

TOUCH - its between Chandler and Ryan. I'll go with Ryan because its 2008 and his placements have almost been perfection. but I dont remember Chandler having trouble with trajectory. Vick struggled with his often. RYAN

SIZE - Chandler (6'4) Ryan (6'5) Vick (6'0). RYAN

Other Qualities:

DECISION MAKING/TIMING - Chandler had trouble with his in later years and was sacked alot. Vick virtually never developed good timing. So not only does Ryan wins by a landside because he's almost been mistake free, he has a fantastic mental clock and knows when to get rid of the ball keeping him upright and allowing receivers to get YAC. RYAN

POISE - poise requires patience and trust. some players can improve but some just have it. Ryan has it. Plus it doesnt seem to bother him when he knows the blitz is coming and sees a 300 pound beast charging at him full blast. Chandler had some but it all went away after the 8th concussion /sarcasm. Vick had it like 3 games a season. Other than that when he saw pressure he'd run like he stole something. RYAN

CONFIDENCE - when i mean confidence, i mean it as a combination of self confidence and confidence in your offense/coaching. Its important but sometimes it doesnt mean anything because Harrington had a ton of confidence *snicker*. Chandler had some in the beginning when we had pro bowlers on offense but once the line gave way and Jamal got hurt, all of that went out the window and i think he lost confidence in life in general. Vick had tons of self confidence but he couldnt count on anyone else including coaching. sometimes he tried to do everything himself. Thats a problem but he couldnt help some of it because at times coaching and the offense sucked including him. Ryan displays confidense in himself, players and coaches and the chemistry between them is incredible. RYAN

Very concise conclusions, not saying that I have thought of them all myself, but nice job of spelling the seemingly obvious advantages out for each player. Chandler was something in his time, and Vick could have been like no other, but it does take a complete package: physical AND mental (which includes desire, intelligence, and passion) Ryan so outweighs both the others in this, that he is better compared to Bartkowski.

Very concise conclusions, not saying that I have thought of them all myself, but nice job of spelling the seemingly obvious advantages out for each player. Chandler was something in his time, and Vick could have been like no other, but it does take a complete package: physical AND mental (which includes desire, intelligence, and passion) Ryan so outweighs both the others in this, that he is better compared to Bartkowski.
I agree. He is so far above the others that there is no comparison.

Thats probably true but Bartkowski is before my time. Feel free to compare. And yeah we can go on and on with mental. i just thought those three i mentioned are 3 qualities i didnt really see from a Falcons QB in my time.

Sounds like Joe

Satriani?

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">