Brandon Tate is out for the year

atljbo

Tate's Tar Heels career over after MRI reveals torn ACL and MCL

A season of huge potential has ended prematurely for Brandon Tate, who gets knocked head over heels by Notre Dame defenders Steve Quinn (48) and Mike Anello in the first quarter Saturday.

North Carolina Tar Heels senior wide receiver Brandon Tate, the 18th-ranked Tar Heels' top playmaker, will miss the remainder of the season with torn anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments in his right knee, the school announced Monday.

Tate injured his knee in the first quarter of North Carolina's 29-24 win over Notre Dame and did not return. He had an MRI on Sunday and will undergo surgery at UNC Hospitals later this week.

This is a huge loss for the Tar Heels (5-1, 1-1 ACC), who have struggled offensively even with Tate in the lineup and last month lost their starting quarterback, T.J. Yates, for six weeks with an ankle injury.

Tate ends his career as the NCAA's all-time leader in combined kick return yards with 3,523. At the time of his injury, Tate was leading the ACC with a per-game average of 163.7 all-purpose yards. Through the first six games, Tate had 376 receiving yards, 305 kickoff return yards, 158 punt return yards and 143 rushing yards.

Brandon Tate was becoming a 3rd round pick but now he is a 5th,6th and 7th round pick

I would still keep my eye on this during the predraft season

seriously. hes going to be penciled in there for my mock draft for the rest of the draft process. either in the 5th or the 6th.

what a steal this kid would be that late.

Mr. Offseason - I know you're a Tate fan, but I personally like someone better - Marcus Thigpen - in terms of getting a kick returner in the 7th round-FA (Tate is projected there now too)

Thigpen - 5'9, 198 lbs, 4.34 40 yard dash, 3 career return TDs

Tate - 6'1, 195 lbs, 4.5 40 yard dash, 3 career return TDs

Tate could serve a dual-role as a WR and a KR/PR while Thigpen would probably just be a the KR/PR, even though Indiana uses him as a Devin Hester playmaker - running, catching, returning.

Plus with Tate's injury he might come back slower and not as good as he was.

Mr. Offseason - I know you're a Tate fan, but I personally like someone better - Marcus Thigpen - in terms of getting a kick returner in the 7th round-FA (Tate is projected there now too)

Thigpen - 5'9, 198 lbs, 4.34 40 yard dash, 3 career return TDs

Tate - 6'1, 195 lbs, 4.5 40 yard dash, 3 career return TDs

Tate could serve a dual-role as a WR and a KR/PR while Thigpen would probably just be a the KR/PR, even though Indiana uses him as a Devin Hester playmaker - running, catching, returning.

Plus with Tate's injury he might come back slower and not as good as he was.

Brandon Tate has 4.4 speed plus he has the potential to be a really good WR also.........

Tate is a dynamic returner.... Brandon Tate reminds me of Steve Breaston

Another big time sleeper is 6'0 190lbs WR Quinten Lawrence..... Dude is sick with it........Quinten Lawrence returned a 70 yard punt against UNC for TD,,,,,,Quinten Lawrence is a late round/UDFA right now

ALSO

I also like 6'1 190lbs CB Domonique Johnson as a returner.........He should be a 3rd or 4th round pick

i dont know if the 4.5 is accurate for tate or not, but he definately wasnt a 4.5 guy on the field. he might not be devin hester fast but he sure is quick. he has fantastic agility and lateral movement from what i can see, not to mention great acceleration. maybe he is a 4.5 guy, but im pretty sure he was a 4.4 guy before the injury at least.

i think a good comparison for tate (pre injury) is eddie royal. he can play the slot very well. however i think now that the injury has hit him pretty hard he will be a 5th or 6th rounder. maybe right now hes a 7th rounder, but if he comes back healthy (or as healthy as you can) he will be worthy of a pick in the 5th, especially if we have 2 of them like we do this year.

you know im a tate fan though, so id love to see us get a bargain on him that late.