Great, great win but please explain a few things for me

slewis1952

I will not even begin to diminish on how well this team has played so far. We are a good football team and will play smashmouth against anyone. I do have a few questions that I cannot explain.

1. Why don't we blitz? When we did Sunday, we rushed Orton and even sacked him a few times. On the 3rd and 10 where the Bears scored with 16 seconds left, Orton got a 4 man rush and had all day to throw. You cannot help our young secondary with a 4 man rush and nothing else. THe Bears had no problem loading up the line and faking and bringing heat. Why don't we?

2. Our red zone efforts are not good. We rarely go into the endzone at all. Its shorts and slants all over the place and what we end up with is field goals. We are last in the NFL in red zone efficiency. You have to cross the goal line to score and we seem to last the urgency to do so.

Other than that, this team is something special. I have been going to Falcons games since day 1 and I couldn't be prouder. We even proved that without the running game, we can throw and throw well. I hope the NFL continues to take us lightly. We're going to hurt some people!!!!

Our lack of blitzing, I can only think is due to the fact that our teams biggest weakness is the CB position. Due to the fact that we use guys like Grady Jackson and such, there's only a select few zone blitzes that actually make sense personnel wise. If we were to blitz a lot, it would leave our corners out to dry way too often. They have heart but sometimes you need more than that.

Also, in the red zone everyone knows who our bread and butter is: 33. So they are run heavy blitzing us in the redzone. Is it any wonder that the run action bootleg has done so well for us at the goal line?

I believe we did blitz mostly in the third qtr, but Our DL was penetrating well enough, not to risk letting the set-up a rhythm with the screens.

The Red Zone…yep..Thank God for Jason but three field goals in a row and we’re starting to have flash backs-the number 9 hasn’t been good to us.

The entire Falcons team played hard for four qtrs and to the very last second…you just can’t ask for more. I hope the entire team can savor this win through the bye week. I ‘m sure that Phili is reminded by the original Rocky film, the Falcons are no longer the whipping child of the NFL. They are in for a fight through the last second of the last round!

Because of some talent limitations on defense, we will run the "bend but not break" defense for rest of the year. I know it is frustrating at times but it is the best thing we can do.

We are a run oriented team that wins games by ball controll und extreme focus on fundamentals and good execution, we usually will win games if we do that on offense and DON`T surrender big plays on defense. With our limitation especially in the secondary and lack of pass rush from 3 of the 4 linemen, we have no room for many blitzes.