"Matt's the only quarterback in the league that hasn't been sacked when being blitzed"

JDB2688

yeah that is insane!

props to matty himself, gets rid of the ball and makes the right decisions more often than not.

Yeah, beating the blitz is very much falls to the QB. The line obviously has been doing a great job, but when they bring the blitz, at least half of the job is the QB seeing it and knowing where to go with the ball.

In addition to being a Falcons fan, I'm also a Broncos fan.

I remember a few years back when the Broncos were playing the Pats in the playoffs (a game we won, by the way). One thing I remember is that every time the Broncos blitzed Brady he would punish them for it. It was the most frustrating thing in the world to watch because you either sat back and gave him all day or blitzed and watched him find the open man. I even remember the commentators talking during the game about how Brady told them that he usually liked it when team blitzed because he could almost always read where to throw it and it made things even simpler.

Ryan is one of the only QBs Ive ever watched who reminds me of Brady in that aspect.

In addition to being a Falcons fan, I'm also a Broncos fan.

I remember a few years back when the Broncos were playing the Pats in the playoffs (a game we won, by the way). One thing I remember is that every time the Broncos blitzed Brady he would punish them for it. It was the most frustrating thing in the world to watch because you either sat back and gave him all day or blitzed and watched him find the open man. I even remember the commentators talking during the game about how Brady told them that he usually liked it when team blitzed because he could almost always read where to throw it and it made things even simpler.

Ryan is one of the only QBs Ive ever watched who reminds me of Brady in that aspect.

you are absolutely right.

Our line still needs to get Turner some running room against these teams with good run D's. Every team we've faced with a good run D Turner has gotten stuffed all game.

Six guys have a hard time beating 8-9, so good run defense teams who stack the box will usually stop the run. The great thing about the game against Chicago is it will make teams respect Ryan and the pass, and limit how many times they will stack the box with 8-9 defenders. This in turn will help our run game. Balance on offense will help everything.

Major props to the Oline, and Ryan for not being sacked 2 weeks in a row!!!

Heard Chicago blitzed around 12 times this game, and still had zero sacks, almost 60 blitzes so far this year and nada.

Go Falcons.

I'll say it again: At BC his senior year, Ga Tech and Tenuta (I think it was) tried to throw all kinds of crazy blitzes at him early in the year and he torched them. After that, most teams just dropped as many guys back in coverage as possible. The teams that were most effective were teams that could get great penetration from just their front 4 like VaTech which gave him limited time against max coverage.

Truthfully, you want teams to try and beat him with the blitz. The better defense against him at this stage in his career is an array of zones because even if he knows where the spaces are, they close faster than in college and he's not going to be completely accustomed to that yet. At least once today he waited too long to deliver a throw at the goal line and allowed a DB to nearly make a play. The good news is this advantage won't last long with him.

I'll say it again: At BC his senior year, Ga Tech and Tenuta (I think it was) tried to throw all kinds of crazy blitzes at him early in the year and he torched them. After that, most teams just dropped as many guys back in coverage as possible. The teams that were most effective were teams that could get great penetration from just their front 4 like VaTech which gave him limited time against max coverage.

Truthfully, you want teams to try and beat him with the blitz. The better defense against him at this stage in his career is an array of zones because even if he knows where the spaces are, they close faster than in college and he's not going to be completely accustomed to that yet. At least once today he waited too long to deliver a throw at the goal line and allowed a DB to nearly make a play. The good news is this advantage won't last long with him.

This is exactly why Tampa was so tough for Ryan; and it bodes pretty well for us in Philly (Johnson is the "Tenuta" of the NFL).