1st Round Pick in 2009  

76 members have voted

1. 1. What Position?

• DT
    • OLB
    • CB
    • S
    • Other

I know this should probably be posted in the FA and Draft forum but i want some real knowledge on this. What position do you think the Falcons need to draft with their 1st round pick next year. I think it needs to be a cornerback.I think Chris Houston would be solid as a #2 and Chevis Jackson solid as a nickelback but the Falcons need at the true #1 CB to take their defense to the next level. I love Brent Grimes heart and passion but that can only make up for height so much. He did make a great play today in the endzone. I'm not that much of a draft guru like I know alot of guys on here are. But who would you draft?

It's gotta be DT. We have no inside push, and pressure can cover up a lot in the secondary by forcing bad throws or the QB having to get it out quickly.

I actually believe that most of the throws that are killing us are the short quick hitters.

We give too much cushion and dont tackle well enough.

Pressure has been good from Babs and Abe all season, and today Jamaal got in on it too.

Hey I saw the beer man make a nice pressure on the Bears last TD drive. Made Orton throw the ball away.

Best DT we can get in the first, best CB we can find in the 2nd, Best TE we can find in the 3rd.

I love our team right now, I think we should just keep adding best at position type players to add depth and mold them into our system.

If Gresham comes out, and he's available in the second, I think we have to take him. He's the best TE in college right now. TD is a genius with the later round picks, as evidenced by this past year's draft. I do, however, hope he finds us a BIG corner.

Right Tackle Andre Smith or Strong Safety William Moore. Unless Cody makes his way to a top 20 worth pick then no NT is worth that pick and players like Vince Oghobasse can be had in rnd 2. If Cody works his way up to top 20 then i would take him. I love Milloy and think he is a great player but i believe a Ball Hawking SS like Moore would help our secondary. Plus would be nice to learn under milloy if we resign him for a year.

Right Tackle Andre Smith or Strong Safety William Moore. Unless Cody makes his way to a top 20 worth pick then no NT is worth that pick and players like Duke Oghobasse can be had in rnd 2. If Cody works his way up to top 20 then i would take him. I love Milloy and think he is a great player but i believe a Ball Hawking SS like Moore would help our secondary. Plus would be nice to learn under milloy if we resign him for a year.

I thought Mount Cody was only a SO. this year? :unsure:

Pass rushing DE is what we really need. If we draft a pass rushing DE, Jamaal Anderson moves into the DT rotation. Anderson will be a better DT than DE. The team is slowly moving him in that direction. I think his play today shows that he would be better in that position... Batting down passes, pressuring the QB up the middle... That's where he needs to be.

I'd go as far as to draft two DE's next year. If we do move Anderson to DT, we have no depth at DE.

We get Trey Lewis back next year, too... I'm going with either Taylor Mays (S), Malcolm Jenkins ©, or OL.

As a Tech fan, I'd love to see us pick up Vance Walker (DT) in the second round. I think he is the best DT in the ACC... Yes, better than Oghobasse or BJ Raji.

I thought Mount Cody was only a SO. this year? :unsure:

Nope big Cody can come out this year. He has actually started his climb to the top on alot of mocks. I have seen him mid to late 1st on a few of them. Im keeping a close eye on him i hope he continues to own the lines. Then i will be all for grabbing him.

We get Trey Lewis back next year, too... I'm going with either Taylor Mays (S), Malcolm Jenkins ©, or OL.

As a Tech fan, I'd love to see us pick up Vance Walker (DT) in the second round. I think he is the best DT in the ACC... Yes, better than Oghobasse or BJ Raji.

Actually Walker is the top rated ACC DT right now. As most mock drafters think so as well so your not alone. Vince is right there on him or tied with him but Raji is a 3rd rnd pick to most people right now.

Pass rushing DE is what we really need. If we draft a pass rushing DE, Jamaal Anderson moves into the DT rotation. Anderson will be a better DT than DE. The team is slowly moving him in that direction. I think his play today shows that he would be better in that position... Batting down passes, pressuring the QB up the middle... That's where he needs to be.

I'd go as far as to draft two DE's next year. If we do move Anderson to DT, we have no depth at DE.

Kroy could very well start next year if he gains weight. Wouldn't draft two DEs especially if we draft someone like Orakpo.

JA55, Orakpo, Kroy at DE and at DT Lewis, JA, Babs, Grady. So our D-Line wouldn't be bad.

I just feel we could get a good DT in FA (Even though we have Trey Lewis) and draft a S like W. Moore or CB like Malcolm Jenkins

People saying we need a pass rushing DE.... Just wait until Kroy Bierman gets 1 full year and offseason weight training under his belt.. Dude is gonna be good.

Maybe he will be. He certainly tore it up in college. But it is a big maybe. At least for me. I'd prefer to grab a DE who's rated high in the draft and be suprised and happy when Bierman beats him out. Also, as I said before, we don't simply need another "starter," at DE. We need depth. (Assuming Anderson moves over to DT) If we lost Abraham right now (knock on wood) our defensive line would be... Well... on passing downs, it wouldn't be. That's the problem.

If he is moved to DT permantly than yes we need a DE in the 1st round.

Nope big Cody can come out this year. He has actually started his climb to the top on alot of mocks. I have seen him mid to late 1st on a few of them. Im keeping a close eye on him i hope he continues to own the lines. Then i will be all for grabbing him.

I would love to have him. Could you imagine him and big Grady side by side? **** that would be insane.

People saying we need a pass rushing DE.... Just wait until Kroy Bierman gets 1 full year and offseason weight training under his belt.. Dude is gonna be good.

I agree. Biermann looks awesome. He was putting alot of pressure on Orton on that final drive and I thought he was about to get a sack but Orton threw the ball away. He reminds me alot of Kearney.

Maybe he will be. He certainly tore it up in college. But it is a big maybe. At least for me. I'd prefer to grab a DE who's rated high in the draft and be suprised and happy when Bierman beats him out. Also, as I said before, we don't simply need another "starter," at DE. We need depth. (Assuming Anderson moves over to DT) If we lost Abraham right now (knock on wood) our defensive line would be... Well... on passing downs, it wouldn't be. That's the problem.

Well with the holes we have our 1st round pick next year needs to be able to make an impact.