Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

Michael Jenkins

27 posts in this topic

Now I don't want the fanboys to flame me on this but I will probably get flamed on this. But here goes. Today I was rewatching all 5 games played so far this season breaking down the incomplete passes. I am doing this for Matt Ryan and those of you that remember I did the same thing for Mike Vick and I do this as unbaised as I possibly can. Some of the incompletions it's hard to tell believe you don't know what the route was suppose to be and therefore don't know if it's a bad route or bad pass. I just say miscommunication on those passes and don't penalize either player.

But here is where Michael Jenkins comes into this mix. It seems like Jenkins has a very hard time of running a fade or go route because it seems he has trouble following the ball over his shoulder or he doesn't know which way to turn to find the ball. We saw against the Packers he turned to his right but had he turned to his left he would have had a chance to get the ball. I saw in the Kansas City game that he let a ball go right between his arms over his shoulder because he didn't find the ball fast enough with his eyes. My solution is to try to keep him from running such routes. Anyone else think it is possible to just try to keep him from running such routes?

As I said before I am not trying to single him out but this just kinda caught my eye.

Something has to happen. I feel if he couldn't block for the run, we could replace him with at minimum 2 different WR's in Robinson and Douglas immediately.

Hey I don't take your observation as flaming him at all. That is just good observation. I am sure the coaches can see that also, so perhaps they can either work on this with him. Jenkins is still a dilemma. He can make some very hard catches, but it still not as consistent as we would like to see him. He is a great downfield blocker though.

Hey I don't take your observation as flaming him at all. That is just good observation. I am sure the coaches can see that also, so perhaps they can either work on this with him. Jenkins is still a dilemma. He can make some very hard catches, but it still not as consistent as we would like to see him. He is a great downfield blocker though.

Thanks. I just saw alot of Jenkins threads on here the other day and there were alot of support Jenkins threads so I figuered os of those guys would take this the wrong way.

Jenkins will never be the 1st round potential everybody thought he would be.

I never understood what McKay saw in him to trade back into the 1st round get him. Other than Joey Galloway name another WR from Ohio State that was a 1st round player?

I personally think Brian Phenneran should be out there more than what he is. Let him take over for Jenkins.

I agree. I thought Finneran would get more time especially with Robinson not playing the last 2 games. :unsure:

Michael Jenkins is a good reciever. But if he is having problems and can't run certain routes, then I say replace him with someone who can. This is about winning. This isn't about who is really a fan favorite. Who gives us a better chance of winning on Sunday. Brian is back and he is healthy.I say give him more of a role and see what happens. After all we are re-building.

Anyone else think it is possible to just try to keep him from running such routes?

I agree with that. He definitely seems to do a lot better on those routes, they should definitely take a look at it.

I really think that Douglas could get a lot better, hopefully he does, I really like how he plays when he does play in terms of his swagger.

I agree with that. He definitely seems to do a lot better on those routes, they should definitely take a look at it.

I really think that Douglas could get a lot better, hopefully he does, I really like how he plays when he does play in terms of his swagger.

I agree. Douglas could have a huge impact in the solt.

I HEAR WHAT ALL OF YOU GUYS ARE SAYING. BUT AS FOR ME ... I THINK I'LL LEAVE

IT TO THE COACH. WE'RE ALWAYS SAYING WHAT A GREAT COACH WE HAVE NOW.

SO NOWS THE TIME TO TRUST IN HIS JUDGEMENT (even wisdom). MIKE SMITH KNOWS

WHAT HE'S DOING. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I HEAR WHAT ALL OF YOU GUYS ARE SAYING. BUT AS FOR ME ... I THINK I'LL LEAVE

IT TO THE COACH. WE'RE ALWAYS SAYING WHAT A GREAT COACH WE HAVE NOW.

SO NOWS THE TIME TO TRUST IN HIS JUDGEMENT (even wisdom). MIKE SMITH KNOWS

WHAT HE'S DOING. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

For real. B)

Now I don't want the fanboys to flame me on this but I will probably get flamed on this. But here goes. Today I was rewatching all 5 games played so far this season breaking down the incomplete passes. I am doing this for Matt Ryan and those of you that remember I did the same thing for Mike Vick and I do this as unbaised as I possibly can. Some of the incompletions it's hard to tell believe you don't know what the route was suppose to be and therefore don't know if it's a bad route or bad pass. I just say miscommunication on those passes and don't penalize either player.

But here is where Michael Jenkins comes into this mix. It seems like Jenkins has a very hard time of running a fade or go route because it seems he has trouble following the ball over his shoulder or he doesn't know which way to turn to find the ball. We saw against the Packers he turned to his right but had he turned to his left he would have had a chance to get the ball. I saw in the Kansas City game that he let a ball go right between his arms over his shoulder because he didn't find the ball fast enough with his eyes. My solution is to try to keep him from running such routes. Anyone else think it is possible to just try to keep him from running such routes?

As I said before I am not trying to single him out but this just kinda caught my eye.

The over-the-shoulder catch is the most difficult ball to catch. You are correct, he should improve on this. Most QBs know how their WRs prefer the ball, but there will be come instances where the WR needs to adjust to the ball that is being thrown. He's better when he can see the ball all of the way versus running and making a rather difficult catch that's over-the-shoulder.

This is something that I finally picked up on in the last game. There were two nice passes by Ryan and Jenkins got past the defender but it seems like he lost the ball at least twice I guess due to helmet vision. It was a shame because he was perfectly in stride with the pass and turned his head one way and then the other. I think I know why he is the slot guy but Roddy needs some help on the go routes.

This is something that I finally picked up on in the last game. There were two nice passes by Ryan and Jenkins got past the defender but it seems like he lost the ball at least twice I guess due to helmet vision. It was a shame because he was perfectly in stride with the pass and turned his head one way and then the other. I think I know why he is the slot guy but Roddy needs some help on the go routes.

It's mostly the OB knowing a lil more about where to place the ball. We tend to think that every WR is suppose to be a "Moss" or "Rice" type WR and that's not the case. They'll be fine. They are still gellin'. I'm very confident that Ryan's 3rd year, he'll pretty much be unstoppable...so to speak. I think we'll retain Roddy, Jenkins and Norwood. Then Douglas and Robinson will be hitting their stride by Ryan's 3rd year. Justin Peelle is showing that he's reliable...so I mean....Wow!

The over-the-shoulder catch is the most difficult ball to catch. You are correct, he should improve on this. Most QBs know how their WRs prefer the ball, but there will be come instances where the WR needs to adjust to the ball that is being thrown. He's better when he can see the ball all of the way versus running and making a rather difficult catch that's over-the-shoulder.

Yes it is. I guess that is what seperates the top notch receivers from the average receivers.

Yeah....he's more explosive for sure, however, I feel that Jenks is a possession type WR.

I think the opposite is true. I think Robinson is the guy to throw slants to and Jenkins

you throw the deep ball to. Jenkins is very tall and we have to keep throwing the deep

ball to him where he can use his height advantage. I would like to site the first Matt Ryan

pass as an example of what we need more of. Robinson is a bit more nifty in dodging

guys and could create yac. Jenkins yards after the catch will come by getting him the

ball in stride and letting him run in more or less a straight line to the endzone.

I think the opposite is true. I think Robinson is the guy to throw slants to and Jenkins

you throw the deep ball to. Jenkins is very tall and we have to keep throwing the deep

ball to him where he can use his height advantage. I would like to site the first Matt Ryan

pass as an example of what we need more of. Robinson is a bit more nifty in dodging

guys and could create yac. Jenkins yards after the catch will come by getting him the

ball in stride and letting him run in more or less a straight line to the endzone.

But there is a reason Jenkins stuggles with the fade and go routes. It's because he likes to catch the ball with his body and he can't do that on fade and go routes. That is why he is better at slants and crossing patterns because it allows him to use his body. Robinson on the other hand catches the ball with his hands with is what you have to do to be able to be good on fade and go routes.

Personally I think the best route for him to be running is any route as the third or fourth receiver, run blocking is not enough to keep a guy starting that can't average more than two catches a game.