Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

Michael Jenkins

12 posts in this topic

Now I don't want the fanboys to flame me on this but I will probably get flamed on this. But here goes. Today I was rewatching all 5 games played so far this season breaking down the incomplete passes. I am doing this for Matt Ryan and those of you that remember I did the same thing for Mike Vick and I do this as unbaised as I possibly can. Some of the incompletions it's hard to tell believe you don't know what the route was suppose to be and therefore don't know if it's a bad route or bad pass. I just say miscommunication on those passes and don't penalize either player.

But here is where Michael Jenkins comes into this mix. It seems like Jenkins has a very hard time of running a fade or go route because it seems he has trouble following the ball over his shoulder or he doesn't know which way to turn to find the ball. We saw against the Packers he turned to his right but had he turned to his left he would have had a chance to get the ball. I saw in the Kansas City game that he let a ball go right between his arms over his shoulder because he didn't find the ball fast enough with his eyes. My solution is to try to keep him from running such routes. Anyone else think it is possible to just try to keep him from running such routes?

As I said before I am not trying to single him out but this just kinda caught my eye.

Actually you make a great point, its similar to the problem Houston has on defense, locating the ball. I don't know what can be done to correct it but Jenkins every once in a while will go out and make a great play like he did on the face mask reception so I know the potential for him to be better is there.

Actually you make a great point, its similar to the problem Houston has on defense, locating the ball. I don't know what can be done to correct it but Jenkins every once in a while will go out and make a great play like he did on the face mask reception so I know the potential for him to be better is there.

Yeah he makes some great catches but then drops some of the easiest balls. I kinda compare it to a Shortstop. The guy makes a unbelieveable play but then messes up some of the most routine plays.

Yeah he makes some great catches but then drops some of the easiest balls. I kinda compare it to a Shortstop. The guy makes a unbelieveable play but then messes up some of the most routine plays.

Clearly we should only use him when the play we call is moot and should in theory not be able to work. Kinda like when Driver catched the mystery ball which, even though it passed "through" 2 falcon players, ended up in his hands.

Jenkins might show a lack of concentration on those easy passes, or maybe he just needs glasses. Sometimes it looks like a coordination thing, othertimes its poor technique (fx his inability to see over his shoulder).

Clearly we should only use him when the play we call is moot and should in theory not be able to work. Kinda like when Driver catched the mystery ball which, even though it passed "through" 2 falcon players, ended up in his hands.

Jenkins might show a lack of concentration on those easy passes, or maybe he just needs glasses. Sometimes it looks like a coordination thing, othertimes its poor technique (fx his inability to see over his shoulder).

I think another reason he stuggles on those catches is because he likes to catch the ball with his body and he can't do that over the shoulder. When talking about that that isn't a good thing and I'm sure they have tried to get him to catch the ball with his hands. We saw that once Roddy started catching with his hands his dropped passes went way down. That is the thing I like so much about Robinson.

I think another reason he stuggles on those catches is because he likes to catch the ball with his body and he can't do that over the shoulder. When talking about that that isn't a good thing and I'm sure they have tried to get him to catch the ball with his hands. We saw that once Roddy started catching with his hands his dropped passes went way down. That is the thing I like so much about Robinson.

that may be one of the best points.

in baseball we have a drill to develop a players ability to turn over the correct shoulder maybe they should try it on Jenks, or maybe they already have and it just did not work due to the point you stated

that may be one of the best points.

in baseball we have a drill to develop a players ability to turn over the correct shoulder maybe they should try it on Jenks, or maybe they already have and it just did not work due to the point you stated

What kind of drill would that be?

What kind of drill would that be?

you go to the outfield and they run straight away from you and you throw a tennis ball over the top of them slightly to one side then yell ball and they have to look, find, and catch it.

you go to the outfield and they run straight away from you and you throw a tennis ball over the top of them slightly to one side then yell ball and they have to look, find, and catch it.

Sounds like a great drill.

If he can't catch a ball over his shoulders he shouldn't be playing. Plain and simple.

Torry Holt has a LOT of trouble doing that. He's admitted that multiple times.