Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

Good Jeff Francoeur article

85 posts in this topic

jidady will go nuts when he reads this. Jeff is going to cause ji to pull all of his hair out computing OBP stats.

:lol: :lol: You speak the truth!

I am all for giving Frenchy another chance. Tim Hudson had a terrible season after he decided to alter his off-season approach. Francouer decided to get bigger and stronger, and forget about what is important in baseball.

Give the kid another shot. His trade value couldn't be lower, and we don't have a replacement in our organization- yet.

If Francouer is terrible, I don't expect to see Jason Heyward this season, but perhaps next.

Well said, and i"m in 100% agreement.

Better put your flame suit on, though. idady and Scott will tell you you're a worthless homer. :rolleyes:

What's happening is that Scott and I are introducing facts into the equation and you don't like that because facts are not in the favor of the Georgia homers who want to like Jeff Francoeur in spite of his on-field play.

Instead of being arcane in order to be chippy, let's just look at Francoeur's on base percentages every month he's been in the majors. Remember that .340 is the general average with a point or two of variation each season:

2008:

2007:

2006:

2005:

Since the spectacular first 40 games of Frenchy's career (the ones in .413-.364 area in 2005), he has failed to get on base to the league average 19 out of 22 months. 86.4% of the months he's been in baseball since those first forty games, he's been an easier than average out.

You can keep replying if you want, but those numbers speak for themselves to settle the discussion.

Since you are such a stats guy what is his BA and such with RISP, 2-Out RISP before last year? :rolleyes:

I see he didn't answer your question. Probably b/c it doesn't serve his agenda. And we know that in '07, he led the majors in 2-out hits w/RISP. But don't excpect him to tell you that.

It'll be funny next October when Francouer hits what you said in your sig trying to see jidady explain it away.

Nice of you to take your lips off Frenchy's *** long enough to type that.

Please, at least I'm willing to give him another shot this upcoming year. And if you know anything about Jeff Francouer, which you don't b/c you're not from here, thusly, you didn't follow his HS career; then you would kknow that he is the most competitive person in the world. And whatever he sets out to do, he accomplishes it(sans this season) . SO if Jeff says that "This won't('08 season) happen again, I beleive him."

I see he didn't answer your question. Probably b/c it doesn't serve his agenda. And we know that in '07, he led the majors in 2-out hits w/RISP. But don't excpect him to tell you that.

It'll be funny next October when Francouer hits what you said in your sig trying to see jidady explain it away.

Thank you. Yes I kept asking him that and he kept bringing up OBP. Glad to see someone else cares about actually production and not OBP. OBP is the most overrated hitting stat in baseball. It's like strikeouts are the most overrated pitching stat. Who cares how many strikeouts a pitcher gets. I sure as **** don't. I don't care all you get outs as long as you get them.

I see he didn't answer your question.

And I see you had nothing intelligent to add to the discussion, probably because it doesn't suit your bromance. Are there any facts you could add about Franceour's on base percentage or slugging percentage that would aid his candidacy as a hitter? Yes or no? Because two outs and RISP is not only an arcane stat but a poor choice for a guy who was .172 in that category this year.

Please, at least I'm willing to give him another shot this upcoming year. And if you know anything about Jeff Francouer, which you don't b/c you're not from here, thusly, you didn't follow his HS career; then you would kknow that he is the most competitive person in the world. And whatever he sets out to do, he accomplishes it(sans this season) . SO if Jeff says that "This won't('08 season) happen again, I beleive him."

Great post. :) And I truly believe he will get back to those numbers I said.

And I see you had nothing intelligent to add to the discussion, probably because it doesn't suit your bromance. Are there any facts you could add about Franceour's on base percentage or slugging percentage that would aid his candidacy as a hitter? Yes or no? Because two outs and RISP is not only an arcane stat but a poor choice for a guy who was .172 in that category this year.

You must have a hard time reading. I said before last year. You know. Before the 2008 baseball season. :rolleyes:

OBP is the most overrated hitting stat in baseball.

Not getting out is everything in baseball. An inning ends when it happens three times. Prior to that, the inning has infinite possibilities. And you know that because even though you're too proud to admit you're wrong (you and pitt are perfect BFFs!), you have an understanding that something happening 86 out of every 100 times is not an accident but a trend.

Okay, boys, I'm dissatisfied with your performances here, so we're done.

If any smarter baseball fans like uga want to engage in further discourse, I'll be more than happy to do so.

Thank you. Yes I kept asking him that and he kept bringing up OBP. Glad to see someone else cares about actually production and not OBP. OBP is the most overrated hitting stat in baseball. It's like strikeouts are the most overrated pitching stat. Who cares how many strikeouts a pitcher gets. I sure as **** don't. I don't care all you get outs as long as you get them.

Thanks.

And I see that you forget that the most important stat in all of baseball is RUN PRODUCTION. Not OBP, not K's, not BA, but run production. That is RBI's and HR's. And Francouer in '06 and 07 was among the top players in baseball in that category, and was the top guy in baseball in 2-out RBI's as well as BA w/2out and RISP. THe only thing that matters in baseball is run production. If a guy hits .260, but drives in 105 RBI and hits 30-35 HR, I'll take it 7 days a week.

Not getting out is everything in baseball. An inning ends when it happens three times. Prior to that, the inning has infinite possibilities. And you know that because even though you're too proud to admit you're wrong (you and pitt are perfect BFFs!), you have an understanding that something happening 86 out of every 100 times is not an accident but a trend.

If any smarter baseball fans like uga want to engage in further discourse, I'll be more than happy to do so.

LMAO!!!!!!!! :lol:

YOu're only saying that b/c me and FF567 see right through you.

Thanks.

And I see that you forget that the most important stat in all of baseball is RUN PRODUCTION. Not OBP, not K's, not BA, but run production. That is RBI's and HR's. And Francouer in '06 and 07 was among the top players in baseball in that category, and was the top guy in baseball in 2-out RBI's as well as BA w/2out and RISP. THe only thing that matters in baseball is run production. If a guy hits .260, but drives in 105 RBI and hits 30-35 HR, I'll take it 7 days a week.

**** straight Spanky. :lol:

LMAO!!!!!!!! :lol:

His arrogance is astounding.

ANd he mentioned ugaDawg in his last post but ugadawg is w/us on this one. Guess in jidady's eyes, that doesn't make him a smart baseball man.

ANd he mentioned ugaDawg in his last post but ugadawg is w/us on this one. Guess in jidady's eyes, that doesn't make him a smart baseball man.

Right on. :P

**** straight Spanky. :lol:

Thanks for the support.

Geez, you would think a guy who knows as much baseball as jidady does,(and he is very knowledgable) would know that the most important thing in the game is run production. Obviously he's forgotton that b/c he's a stat nerd.

And rightfully so.

It's not how someone agrees or disagrees but how intelligently they argue. You two just got sent back to the kiddy table, something you should be plenty used to by now. Rub some dirt on it and it'll feel better in a day or two.

Thanks for the support.

Geez, you would think a guy who knows as much baseball as jidady does,(and he is very knowledgable) would know that the most important thing in the game is run production. Obviously he's forgotton that b/c he's a stat nerd.

Yep exactly. I would take 40 homeruns a year from a guy regardless of how many times he strikeouts. Meaning I would take Adam Dunn and Ryan Howard in a heartbeat.

Yep exactly. I would take 40 homeruns a year from a guy regardless of how many times he strikeouts. Meaning I would take Adam Dunn and Ryan Howard in a heartbeat.

Yep.

And I remember that Howard won an MVP award 2 years b/c he hit 59 HR's and drove in close to 130, but his avg. was around only .275 or so.

It's not how someone agrees or disagrees but how intelligently they argue. You two just got sent back to the kiddy table, something you should be plenty used to by now. Rub some dirt on it and it'll feel better in a day or two.

I think mine and FF567's argument is plenty intellegent, as shown by the fact that you failed to answer the question of what Francouer's average was w/2 out and RISP in '06 and '07.

**** how did I get called out on this.

OK I have made it known that that I am not a fan of his because he is from GA. I have made it known that I am a fan of ex ECB players and wish him to succeed.

I also think this year he tried to be something that he was not by bulking up to power hit when his swing is a quick handed wild swing. That is his natural swing and it will never resemble plate discipline. I also say that he will never have jidady's OBP that he loves (which I think he is overrating a bit). I do think he has the ability to be a 270-280 hitter with 20-25 hrs and 90-100 RBI's. I also see that when he started loosing the bulk his D improved back to what it was and that was a quality RF'er for us. Not great but quality.

**** how did I get called out on this.

I was getting bored pulling the wings off flies.

he tried to be something that he was not by bulking up to power hit when his swing is a quick handed wild swing. That is his natural swing and it will never resemble plate discipline.

In your estimation, what percentage of good major league hitters are able to get away with poor discipline? And why are you so sure Francoeur would be one of them, given the way major league pitchers have easily revealed the holes in his swing over the past 3 seasons?

I also say that he will never have jidady's OBP that he loves (which I think he is overrating a bit).

You ever look at the OBPs of the Red Sox? There's a reason they are so consistently good in scoring. Youk is .390, Pedroia is .376, Manny was always around .400, Bay (his replacement) is .375 for his career, JD Drew is .408 this season, Ortiz is low for him at .369. There is a reason why Boston fans swear by Theo. He is a Moneyball guy who prioritizes OBP and slugging percentage, two things Franceour does not have going for him.

I do think he has the ability to be a 270-280 hitter with 20-25 hrs and 90-100 RBI's. I also see that when he started loosing the bulk his D improved back to what it was and that was a quality RF'er for us. Not great but quality.

At this point, I don't understand where the 25 homers thing is coming from. He has 30 in his last 1,200 at bats and 3 in his last 250. In addition to being an easy out, he doesn't hit the ball hard when he does manage to make contact.