Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

Jake Peavy A Brave?

73 posts in this topic

For those that want to move Yunel to 3rd, WHY? Ask A-Rod how that transition goes. He had a rough few years fielding the ball. Personally, I'd rather keep Yunel at SS. He is solid there.

Also, we have questions in the OF as well. I have a shocking move I'd like to see us try to pull off for a CF to propose. Even if I don't know if they'd let him go, I'd love to see us try to trade ST. Louis out of Rick Ankiel. He has a very small contract ($900k). He's shown he can play the position, and he has a pretty good stick. I'd also not be opposed to moving Frenchy. He has problems learning to be patient at the plate, always has. I'd rather see a guy hit for average than go up there hacking to hit it out every pitch.

Also, our 1B position is shaky as well. Rumor has it that Prince Fielder might be available, and he'd come in at an affordable price. Takers?

Another thing I'm concerned about is the closer position. Mike Gonzalez is not the answer. K-Rod is reportedly going to be available. Sign him Frank.

What are you talking about on those points? Kotchman came on in the latter part of the season, after pressing when he first got traded to us. As for Gonzalez, how do you come to the conclusion that he's not the answer? The man came back from Tommy John surgery and pitched extremely well. He blew 2 saves in 16 chances, had 44 SO's in 34 innings pitched, and had one bad month (all of his losses, blown saves, and half of his runs given up were in september). K-Rod is going to command a $15m a year contract, which some team like New York (either of them) is going to foolishly give him.

For those that want to move Yunel to 3rd, WHY? Ask A-Rod how that transition goes. He had a rough few years fielding the ball. Personally, I'd rather keep Yunel at SS. He is solid there.

Also, we have questions in the OF as well. I have a shocking move I'd like to see us try to pull off for a CF to propose. Even if I don't know if they'd let him go, I'd love to see us try to trade ST. Louis out of Rick Ankiel. He has a very small contract ($900k). He's shown he can play the position, and he has a pretty good stick. I'd also not be opposed to moving Frenchy. He has problems learning to be patient at the plate, always has. I'd rather see a guy hit for average than go up there hacking to hit it out every pitch.

Also, our 1B position is shaky as well. Rumor has it that Prince Fielder might be available, and he'd come in at an affordable price. Takers?

Another thing I'm concerned about is the closer position. Mike Gonzalez is not the answer. K-Rod is reportedly going to be available. Sign him Frank.

Is this a joke?

I can see the point about comparing Yunel to A-Rod, but A-Rod has actually been pretty good at 3B, only his errors are magnified living in NY. Also, what you won't see on ESPN or here from NY is that Jeter has lost his touch at SS. His defense has gone down hill, and some say he should move to CF.

Rick Ankiel? Seriously. I love the guy, but our minors are absolutely stacked with guys that can play CF. Jordan Schaefer is a better option than Ankiel. Jordan really showed that the HGH thing was a fluke, finishing really, really strong. Josh Anderson looked good in September, and Gorkys Hernandez isn't far away. Ankiel would be a TERRIBLE move, but 2nd to moving Francouer to CF. He bulked up to the point that he look uncomfortable in RF, why make it worse?

Prince is available because he is about to get a HUGE contract, and the Brewers don't think they can afford him. Do we want the same situation with Teixeira, only this time with an overweight, non-clutch hitter? Another terrible move.

K-Rod won't be available. If he is, he will be in pinstripes before you can blink. The only way the Angels don't re-sign him is because the Yankees offer him $$$$$$$$$$. Mike Gonzalez was GREAT coming off surgery, I don't know what game of baseball you watch.

Is this a joke?

I can see the point about comparing Yunel to A-Rod, but A-Rod has actually been pretty good at 3B, only his errors are magnified living in NY. Also, what you won't see on ESPN or here from NY is that Jeter has lost his touch at SS. His defense has gone down hill, and some say he should move to CF.

Rick Ankiel? Seriously. I love the guy, but our minors are absolutely stacked with guys that can play CF. Jordan Schaefer is a better option than Ankiel. Jordan really showed that the HGH thing was a fluke, finishing really, really strong. Josh Anderson looked good in September, and Gorkys Hernandez isn't far away. Ankiel would be a TERRIBLE move, but 2nd to moving Francouer to CF. He bulked up to the point that he look uncomfortable in RF, why make it worse?

Prince is available because he is about to get a HUGE contract, and the Brewers don't think they can afford him. Do we want the same situation with Teixeira, only this time with an overweight, non-clutch hitter? Another terrible move.

K-Rod won't be available. If he is, he will be in pinstripes before you can blink. The only way the Angels don't re-sign him is because the Yankees offer him $$$$$$$$$$. Mike Gonzalez was GREAT coming off surgery, I don't know what game of baseball you watch.

I don't think he was watching any.

i guess i'll chime in as well. :P

Chipper to 1st.......Not going to happen. as much footwork that's required for the position, chipper might as well ask to be traded to an AL team where he can DH.

Yunel to 3rd.......I wouldn't oppose it, but it will only happen when chipper hangs them up or moves on. If that were to happen in the next 2 seasons, for example, we'd probably have either Prado and/or Lillibridge as long as we don't trade them away for OF/SP help which is a definite possibility IMO.

OF help.......I love the idea of trading for Matt Kemp of LAD....even though it hasn't really been mentioned. in his 1st full year, he hit .290, 18HR, 76 RBI's, 35 SB, .340 OBP, .459 Slugging, and .799 OPS. The dodgers have a log jam in their OF with Either, Jones, Kemp, and Pierre, so prying Kemp away might be possible since they were taking offers for him at the deadline.

SP help.......Peavy would be AWESOME.....if and ONLY if he stays healthy. Price wise, he'd be a bargain, but the injury bug likes to bunk with him year round.

So assuming, we don't land Peavy, I'd like to see us stay on the west coast and make a deal for Matt Cain in SF. The kid can flat out bring it. Then follow that up with signing Derek Lowe to a 3 year deal. And finally....staying out on the west coast....imagine that.....lock up Jon Garland as well. He's not going to blow you away by any means, but he'd be a SOLID #3 and and possibly a "not too shabby" #2.

I look for a back up plan to be the likes of Shawn Estes, Livan Hernandez, Randy Wolf type signings.

Just given the Brave's track record, I wouldn't expect a "Big Splash" in the FA market, but rather spreading the money out to improve as many area's as possible instead blowing it all on 1-2 guys and a bunch of scrubs.

Is this a joke?

thank goodness I can just agree with this and not have to type all of this.

i guess i'll chime in as well. :P

Chipper to 1st.......Not going to happen. as much footwork that's required for the position, chipper might as well ask to be traded to an AL team where he can DH.

Yunel to 3rd.......I wouldn't oppose it, but it will only happen when chipper hangs them up or moves on. If that were to happen in the next 2 seasons, for example, we'd probably have either Prado and/or Lillibridge as long as we don't trade them away for OF/SP help which is a definite possibility IMO.

OF help.......I love the idea of trading for Matt Kemp of LAD....even though it hasn't really been mentioned. in his 1st full year, he hit .290, 18HR, 76 RBI's, 35 SB, .340 OBP, .459 Slugging, and .799 OPS. The dodgers have a log jam in their OF with Either, Jones, Kemp, and Pierre, so prying Kemp away might be possible since they were taking offers for him at the deadline.

SP help.......Peavy would be AWESOME.....if and ONLY if he stays healthy. Price wise, he'd be a bargain, but the injury bug likes to bunk with him year round.

So assuming, we don't land Peavy, I'd like to see us stay on the west coast and make a deal for Matt Cain in SF. The kid can flat out bring it. Then follow that up with signing Derek Lowe to a 3 year deal. And finally....staying out on the west coast....imagine that.....lock up Jon Garland as well. He's not going to blow you away by any means, but he'd be a SOLID #3 and and possibly a "not too shabby" #2.

I look for a back up plan to be the likes of Shawn Estes, Livan Hernandez, Randy Wolf type signings.

Just given the Brave's track record, I wouldn't expect a "Big Splash" in the FA market, but rather spreading the money out to improve as many area's as possible instead blowing it all on 1-2 guys and a bunch of scrubs.

dang guys make great post that I can just agree with and not have to type a book.

The Yankees don't have the means to acquire a pitcher like Peavy, nor would he ever want to play in a place like New York.

translation- he wants to lose with Atlanta as oppose to winning with the NYY

translation- he wants to lose with Atlanta as oppose to winning with the NYY

Considering the fact he grew up in a small town in Alabama, and was a Braves fan during that time...I don't think so. Although it might be shocking to you, some players aren't actually solely in it for the money.

?? not sure if you're agreeing with my post or not. :P

yes I was agreeing with you and you saved me from having to write all of that.

Wait, are you saying they should sign all three?

Wait, are you saying they should sign all three?

Sure....why the **** not. We banked our season on mr. ice, and 2 senior citizens last year and look what happened. Ended up with Huddy going down and he will likely be out until september of next year and he's FA after that assuming we don't pick up a $12M option on a guy coming off of Tommy John surgery. So we have Jurrjens and Campillo to put all our SP hopes of next year into. Lowe gives us that solid #1 guy....not a #1 ace by any means, but a nice anchor. Cain has tons of potential, but it doesn't pay off when he's had horrible run support in SF the past 2 years. Garland would be a nice addition to bolster our rotation to have some quality guys. Should Campillo have been a fluke last year, we'd then have a very solid front 4.....not anything to blow other teams away, but enough to keep us in games. I just don't see the braves blowing 40-45 million on 2 players......they're far too frugal.

I'd love to not have to retool our rotation, but we're at a crossroads with nice talent that isn't ML ready and having an immediate NEED for quality arms. Lowe for 3 years makes for a nice bridge and if Cain and Garland were to land here, they'd give us a couple of guys that we could build around and not have to rush all of our young guys up. Reyes is junk 2/3 of the time he goes out there. Chuck James is flat out garbage and even though Hampton was solid August and September, I'd rather not go back down that road unless he was dirt cheap.

So we can sit around and hope Jurrjens and Campillo can carry us and rush up Hanson and the other A and AA players, or we can make a few moves in the FA and trade markets. I'm all for spreading our money out and building a quality staff. I'd guess that Lowe and Garland would get 20-25M total, so we'd still have 15-20M to work with for a good OF (should we get one in FA instead of through a trade) and fill any other holes that we come across.

Sure....why the **** not. We banked our season on mr. ice, and 2 senior citizens last year and look what happened. Ended up with Huddy going down and he will likely be out until september of next year and he's FA after that assuming we don't pick up a $12M option on a guy coming off of Tommy John surgery. So we have Jurrjens and Campillo to put all our SP hopes of next year into. Lowe gives us that solid #1 guy....not a #1 ace by any means, but a nice anchor. Cain has tons of potential, but it doesn't pay off when he's had horrible run support in SF the past 2 years. Garland would be a nice addition to bolster our rotation to have some quality guys. Should Campillo have been a fluke last year, we'd then have a very solid front 4.....not anything to blow other teams away, but enough to keep us in games. I just don't see the braves blowing 40-45 million on 2 players......they're far too frugal.

I'd love to not have to retool our rotation, but we're at a crossroads with nice talent that isn't ML ready and having an immediate NEED for quality arms. Lowe for 3 years makes for a nice bridge and if Cain and Garland were to land here, they'd give us a couple of guys that we could build around and not have to rush all of our young guys up. Reyes is junk 2/3 of the time he goes out there. Chuck James is flat out garbage and even though Hampton was solid August and September, I'd rather not go back down that road unless he was dirt cheap.

So we can sit around and hope Jurrjens and Campillo can carry us and rush up Hanson and the other A and AA players, or we can make a few moves in the FA and trade markets. I'm all for spreading our money out and building a quality staff. I'd guess that Lowe and Garland would get 20-25M total, so we'd still have 15-20M to work with for a good OF (should we get one in FA instead of through a trade) and fill any other holes that we come across.

20-25m combined per year? Or over their entire contract?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for bringing in arms, and I like Cain and Lowe ... it just seems like that take some serious money to happen.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for bringing in arms, and I like Cain and Lowe ... it just seems like that take some serious money to happen.

We'd have to trade for Cain, he isn't a FA.

20-25m combined per year? Or over their entire contract?

total per year. i'd assume at least 10-13M each. we could even be generous and say 15M each, so there's 30M and we'd still have 10-15 to put towards an OF with.

total per year. i'd assume at least 10-13M each. we could even be generous and say 15M each, so there's 30M and we'd still have 10-15 to put towards an OF with.

Gotcha. Was gonna say that 20-25m over their entire contracts wouldn't be nearly enough.

Mike Gonzales isn't the answer?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

YOu are a moron. So a guy that saves nearly 40 consecutive games isn't the answer. GTFO dude! Your baseball knowledge leaves a lot to be desired.

No, Gonzo is the answer. YOu sign him long-term, and build your pen backwards in front of him.

K-Rod is gonna cost way too much.

Is this a joke?

Popcornplaya=OWNED!

I don't think he was watching any.

:lol: :lol:

I know that this is a sore subject for Braves, or rather just overkill, but what are the chances Ken Griffey Jr. is an option?

Jordan Schafer is going to make himself heard this year, i am convinced. I wouldn't be upset with Josh Anderson in LF and Schafer in CF.

The main question is whether Matt Diaz is with the team. I think Gregor Blanco played well enough to be the 4th OF, but Diaz has been great off the bench, and could also be a back-up 1B. He and Martin Prado & Omar Infante would be 3 great bench players.

But what if we decide to move at least one of that group (Anderson, Blanco, Diaz), and need a LF? Griffey stated he didn't want to retire, and I don't want to spend the money on Dunn/Burrell, nor give up anything more than mid-level prospects for Delmon Young or Josh Willingham.

Griffey would give us power, he has always wanted to come to Atlanta, and he would serve merely as a cover until our array of young, powerful OF'ers arrive in ATL. Not to mention, he would draw the fans attention.

I was surprised to hear Frank Wren say he wanted to get a power bat in LF. We need one, don't get me wrong, but I would rather spend the money on pitchers (or locking up our young players) and wait for a year or two for our own young, power bats to arrive. Dunn & Burrell don't put this team over the top, IMO, and won't be worth the money.

Schafer would be great at the top of line-up, and also has great power. He may be a force to be reckoned with, and I think a lot of fans are over-looking him this season. Griffey would be a great influence on the entire team, and could give it one last year for a manager he has been dying to play for.

I know that this is a sore subject for Braves, or rather just overkill, but what are the chances Ken Griffey Jr. is an option?

Jordan Schafer is going to make himself heard this year, i am convinced. I wouldn't be upset with Josh Anderson in LF and Schafer in CF.

The main question is whether Matt Diaz is with the team. I think Gregor Blanco played well enough to be the 4th OF, but Diaz has been great off the bench, and could also be a back-up 1B. He and Martin Prado & Omar Infante would be 3 great bench players.

But what if we decide to move at least one of that group (Anderson, Blanco, Diaz), and need a LF? Griffey stated he didn't want to retire, and I don't want to spend the money on Dunn/Burrell, nor give up anything more than mid-level prospects for Delmon Young or Josh Willingham.

Griffey would give us power, he has always wanted to come to Atlanta, and he would serve merely as a cover until our array of young, powerful OF'ers arrive in ATL. Not to mention, he would draw the fans attention.

I was surprised to hear Frank Wren say he wanted to get a power bat in LF. We need one, don't get me wrong, but I would rather spend the money on pitchers (or locking up our young players) and wait for a year or two for our own young, power bats to arrive. Dunn & Burrell don't put this team over the top, IMO, and won't be worth the money.

Schafer would be great at the top of line-up, and also has great power. He may be a force to be reckoned with, and I think a lot of fans are over-looking him this season. Griffey would be a great influence on the entire team, and could give it one last year for a manager he has been dying to play for.

I wouldn't be against it in the least.

But remember, Griffey is 37. But he has always been MY FAVORITE ALL-TIME player.

And I disagree w/you on DUnn. Any chance you can get a guy that can hit 40 HR's and drive in 120, you do it. Plus, he'd protect Chipper.

Mike Gonzales isn't the answer?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

YOu are a moron. So a guy that saves nearly 40 consecutive games isn't the answer. GTFO dude! Your baseball knowledge leaves a lot to be desired.

No, Gonzo is the answer. YOu sign him long-term, and build your pen backwards in front of him.

K-Rod is gonna cost way too much.

He saved nearly 40 consecutive games? Are you certain about that? He's saved 44 in the last 6 seasons. 2 were blown in his last 4 opportunities. 14 times in 2007 he didn't get the save. It wasn't a blown save, but he didn't get the save either. 20 times this past season he didn't get credit for a save or blown save. 30 times in 2006 he didn't get credit for either. Had he converted a save every time, his numbers would be great. Thing is, he didn't, and he didn't convert anywhere near 40 in a row. They'd pull him before he cost them a game, and another guy would come in and either blow the save or retain it. Don't give me that garbage.

K-Rod meanwhile only saved 62 games this past season alone. He saved 40 last season. He saved 47 in 2006. His ERA numbers have been 1.73 in 06', 2.81 in 07', 2.24 in 08'. Model of consistency in a lot more games, with a lot more conversions. He has 208 saves since 2002. He pitched 68.1 innings this past season, converted 62 saves, that's pretty damned good numbers.

Gonzalez has 44 saves since 2003, well actually 2004 since he recorded none in 03'.

Mariano Rivera has saved 30+ games every season except 2002 since 1997. That's consistency. His ERA has been over 3 once since 1996.

Gonzalez is tied for 29th in the league in saves. There are only 30 teams in the league. Of those above him in saves, only 6 have a higher ERA. That's earned run average, that means he, on average, gives up more runs that are earned than 23 closers of 30(6 higher plus him, that's 7). But he's the answer. Get real.

Show me your list of the 100 greatest hitters IYO.

Since you want a list, first let's get something clear. I said Chipper wasn't in the top 50 all time. I also said possibly top 75-100. For reference, here's the post, verbatim.

All Time? Hardly. He's one of the best switch hitters of all-time, but he's still behind Mantle, Murray, and Rose. His defense has been about average for a 3 bagger. His production has been fairly consistent, but the injuries hampered him too much. I'd like to think it's bad luck, but it isn't., not when things happen for him like they do. He doesn't take as good of care of his body as he should, or else he'd have had a much more productive career. He'll make the HOF certainly, but he's not in the top 50 to play the game, possibly the top 75-100.

It's on page 1 of this thread: http://life.atlantafalcons.com/index.php?s...3805079&hl=

I'll go ahead and give you 50 in no particular order (the numbers are to show that there are 50 there), I'll go deeper and show you where I rank Chipper later, as I don't have the time to go deeper at the moment.

1. Babe Ruth

2. Ty Cobb

3. Stan Musial

4. Lou Gherig

5. Tris Speaker

6. Ted Williams

7. Jimmie Foxx

8. Honus Wagner

9. WIllie Mays

10. Pete Rose

11. Barry Bonds

12. Hank Aaron

13. Rogers Hornsby

14. Mel Ott

15. Frank Robinson

16. Carl Yastrzemski

17. Rafael Palmero

18. Paul Waner

19. Eddie Collins

20. Cap Anson

21. Harry Heilman

22. Nap Lajoie

23. Frank Thomas

24. Eddie Murray

25. Cal Ripken Jr.

26. Rickey Henderson

27. Ed Delahanty

28. Wade Boggs

29. Charlie Gehringer

30. Al Kaline

31. Mickey Mantle

32. Gary Sheffield

33. Al Simmons

34. George Brett

35. Paul Molitor

36. Dave Winfield

37. Manny Ramirez

38. Ken Griffey Jr.

39. Goose Goslin

40. Joe Dimaggio

41. Jeff Bagwell

42. Sam Crawford

43. Jesse Burkett

44. Craig Biggio

45. Reggie Jackson

46. Alex Rodriguez

47. Tony Gwynn

48. Mike Schmidt

49. Eddie Matthews

50. Jackie Robinson

51. Willie Keeler

52. George Sisler

53. Jesse Burkett

54. Vladomir Guererro

55. Rod Carew

56. Kirby Puckett

57. Sam Rice

Sorry, got a little ahead of myself. I'll continue later. Have to go get the pregnant GF some food.