Falcons still need to show they can hang with the big boys

September 29, 2008 11:57 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas

Four games into the season, the Atlanta Falcons remain a mystery. They're 2-2. They've played two very good games and two games that were bad.

The best explanation is the Falcons are still a work in progress and their victories have come against Kansas City and Detroit. Their losses have come against Carolina and Tampa Bay. Simply put, the Falcons can beat the bad teams, but not the good ones.

There are also some pretty amazing stats to suggest the Falcons play well at home and are horrible on the road. They've scored nine touchdowns and 72 points in the Georgia Dome. On the road, they haven't scored a touchdown and have been limited to six Jason Elam field goals.

At home, Michael Turner has run for 324 yards. On the road, he's run for 98. But let's not give too much credit to the Georgia Dome. With the Falcons, it comes down to who they're playing, not where they are playing them.

Four games into the season, the Atlanta Falcons remain a mystery. They're 2-2. They've played two very good games and two games that were bad.

The best explanation is the Falcons are still a work in progress and their victories have come against Kansas City and Detroit. Their losses have come against Carolina and Tampa Bay. Simply put, the Falcons can beat the bad teams, but not the good ones.

There are also some pretty amazing stats to suggest the Falcons play well at home and are horrible on the road. They've scored nine touchdowns and 72 points in the Georgia Dome. On the road, they haven't scored a touchdown and have been limited to six Jason Elam field goals.

At home, Michael Turner has run for 324 yards. On the road, he's run for 98. But let's not give too much credit to the Georgia Dome. With the Falcons, it comes down to who they're playing, not where they are playing them.

Rather indicative of a "rebuilt" team..... B)

I can agree. We are going to beat the garbage teams and lose to the good. Thats how it will be this year. I can see us sqeaking a game out against a good team this year for a win. Its the NFL, any team can beat any team on any given sunday. We could really be 4-0 right now. There was alot of mental mistakes made in those two games... not making excuses, TB and CAR were the better teams, but without those drops, and pivital 3rd down misses, we could have gave them a run for their money. Nevertheless, we all know its a rebuilding season, and we are showing the experts what we are made of. Remember, ATL ranked 32 at the start of this year........

I don't think this article is 100% accurate: we've shown that we can hang with the "big boys" (keeping games close well into the 4th quarter), but what we really need to do is show that we can finish games against good opponents...

Agree 100%. It is tough because this team is showing us the glimpse of a good team in dominating performances against inferior teams, yet tease us by hanging in with the more powerful teams and eventually falling short. I like the way this team is going, competing on every play. They just need a little more time. Pretty soon those mental and physical mistakes will be replaced with touchdowns and turnovers.

Agree 100%. It is tough because this team is showing us the glimpse of a good team in dominating performances against inferior teams, yet tease us by hanging in with the more powerful teams and eventually falling short. I like the way this team is going, competing on every play. They just need a little more time. Pretty soon those mental and physical mistakes will be replaced with touchdowns and turnovers.

Even if the 3rd % improve, that would be a sure sign of progress. Good teams convert on 3rd down. Well get there soon. I'd like to see Ryan run for some of them, if he can.

Even if the 3rd % improve, that would be a sure sign of progress. Good teams convert on 3rd down. Well get there soon. I'd like to see Ryan run for some of them, if he can.

Uh, I'd rather he didn't. :huh:

I'd rather see the playcalling improve or the WR catch balls in the clutch better. It would also help if Ryan didn't hyperventilate and overthrow the rock when he knows the blitz is coming on 3rd down.

Before the season started, it was even money that we wouldn't beat the bad teams, let alone the good ones. So right now, I'm trying to keep things in perspective. Clearly we have a long way to go, but what we've seen so far shows good signs of a young team that is headed in the right direction.

Obviously we need to get our run blocking going against better teams and we need to get our receivers to hang on to the ball. Those two things alone would make a MASSIVE difference.

Direwolf