Dahl's holding penalties

Those 2 calls were bad - really bad for us, but that crew was making bad calls all day - I think the "bad" call they had earlier this year really has affected their judgment. I hope we don't get that crew often. Hocules is bad news this year. Regardless, we have to keep playing hard and overcome those bad calls. Yesterday, we didn't - but we will - we will.

I think the Ryan call was legit simply because the "blow to the QBs head" call will get flagged every time. And while I think the second Dahl penalty was hogwash, the first was a legit hold. Some of the angles didn't show it, but the defender was trying to back off of Dahl and he held his jersey, pulling the defender back into him. From the front or back angle, it looked like he was fully engaged. But from the side, the first Dahl penalty looked legit.

I thought the horsecollar call was a worse call. The defender (Morehead) had his arm over the shoulderpad and threw the runner down that way. Besides, even if he had ahold of the collar, I've never once seen that call get flagged when the defender was in front of the runner. It is to prevent the defender from dragging the runner down from behind while falling on the runner's legs (the Roy Williams technique). It came on third down, allowed Carolina to continue the drive, which led to a touchdown.

I think the Ryan call was legit simply because the "blow to the QBs head" call will get flagged every time. And while I think the second Dahl penalty was hogwash, the first was a legit hold. Some of the angles didn't show it, but the defender was trying to back off of Dahl and he held his jersey, pulling the defender back into him. From the front or back angle, it looked like he was fully engaged. But from the side, the first Dahl penalty looked legit.

I thought the horsecollar call was a worse call. The defender (Morehead) had his arm over the shoulderpad and threw the runner down that way. Besides, even if he had ahold of the collar, I've never once seen that call get flagged when the defender was in front of the runner. It is to prevent the defender from dragging the runner down from behind while falling on the runner's legs (the Roy Williams technique). It came on third down, allowed Carolina to continue the drive, which led to a touchdown.

Sounds like we all agree in that there were many blown calls by the officials, both directions. I looked pretty carefully

at the Head-to-Head call, it real time I can see where it might've been called, but in slow-mo it wasn't that at all...

Yes, the horse-collar was another bad call, and I also agree that it didnt' look like a horse-collar, but an over-the-shoulder

man handling...

Agree with earlier, I think the blown call that fubar'd that game has the officials acting peculiar, terrible calls this year...

Yes I agree...it's like the commercial where the ref looks at the replay and he's asking the guys in the bar what he should call.

Obviously, these "refs" had money on Carolina....I know I would be fined every week if I were the coach. I would not keep it quiet.

I would have a video to illustrate the bad calls at the press conferences and berate the f out of the bad officials!

I thought they were good plays. Even the announcers throught so and those calls killed two drives. Was Dahl targeted by the refs because of his nasty attitude?. I'm surprised no one is talking about this..

They called it everytime he touched a lineman. But they didnt call it on captain obvious when the panthers scored on that outside run. Wow that hold was UGLY

Ed Hochuli seems like a good guy.

But it also seems like the league is leaving him behind.

He needs to realize he can't work entirely on past merit and expect the same results.

Ha! They said after that call in Denver, that Hoculi would be "graded down". So he ends up with the Falcons' game. Is that some kind of punishment?? :P

The refs could call holding on just about any play. It's a judgment call, so sometimes it's so borderline that it seems wrong.

As to the horsecollar - it was probably a weak call as well, but I don't mind them calling it. A true horsecollar is what IR'd Thomas Brown, and it can do permanent damage. I'd rather they call it all the time and the players completely stop doing anything anywhere near a horsecollar.

Which reminds me of my favorite Madden-isms:

madden_john_small.jpg

"Horse Collar!" "Brett Favre, Brett Favre!"

I thought they were good plays. Even the announcers throught so and those calls killed two drives. Was Dahl targeted by the refs because of his nasty attitude?. I'm surprised no one is talking about this..

The Ed Hochely crews are whistle happy like i've never seen, so I wasnt really surprised at the denver-san diego fiasco after watching the game yesterday. I remember one play they whistled the ball dead on a kickoff before Norwood even took a knee, he was just standing there cotemplating and Hochely blew the whistle, I mean Im all for protecting the players, but Hochely seems to be like "Nobody is going to be hit late in my game", and he will mess up again with that trigger whistle finger, i garauntee it.

Agee, bad calls both ways, but to be fair to the officials, none of the precieved bad calls/non calls would have been highligted if: Falcons had takled better, covered better, applied even the minute bit of pressure on the QB, caught passes, etc. Lets go Falcons!!!!

It took us to post 22 before someone interjected some sense in this ongoing debate. The Falcons had numerous chances to overcome these questionable calls. Further, any team that relies on the officials to save the game for them is doomed.