A quick thought on the Falcons

direwolf

Right now, we've beaten two horrendous teams and lost to a good team.

I don't think we're a good team yet. But I do think that we are well on our way to becoming one in the near future. I think that simply because we whipped the bad teams and that's what the good teams do. We're laying a very solid foundation and we're building an identity that we haven't had in years. This team is noticeably tougher and meaner than we've seen in a decade and that's a good thing.

We've got a long way to go, but I'm loving what I'm seeing out of this team. We've had a good start, but I'm still thinking we'll probably win five or six games this year since we've got a truly brutal stretch coming up before the bye week. However, I think that we'll get better each week and I think that we'll have a draft heavy on defense and come out next year as a tough team that no one wants to play.

Just one fellow's opinion, but I see a LOT about which to be excited right now.

Direwolf

I don't think we're a good team yet. But I do think that we are well on our way to becoming one in the near future. I think that simply because we whipped the bad teams and that's what the good teams do. We're laying a very solid foundation and we're building an identity that we haven't had in years. This team is noticeably tougher and meaner than we've seen in a decade and that's a good thing.

We've got a long way to go, but I'm loving what I'm seeing out of this team. We've had a good start, but I'm still thinking we'll probably win five or six games this year since we've got a truly brutal stretch coming up before the bye week. However, I think that we'll get better each week and I think that we'll have a draft heavy on defense and come out next year as a tough team that no one wants to play.

Direwolf

On the inside, I'm with you but I also still feel as though this year is going to make ATL a power team again. I just have that feeling...I think its called fan-dom...LOL

On the inside, I'm with you but I also still feel as though this year is going to make ATL a power team again. I just have that feeling...I think its called fan-dom...LOL

Well, hey, "fan" is short for "fanatic", so it makes sense.

In my heart of hearts, I want us to win every game and hold out hope that we will. However, the part of me that tries to be unbiased and objective sees a team that is still very young and has a lot of growing to do to build on the positive advances we've made already.

I'm pretty sure that this year won't be great for us, but I also feel that we'll do enough this year that the experience we gain this season plus another solid draft/free agent period will put us firmly on the right track towards being a team that nobody regards as an easy out and eventually a serious contender.

Direwolf

Well, hey, "fan" is short for "fanatic", so it makes sense.

In my heart of hearts, I want us to win every game and hold out hope that we will. However, the part of me that tries to be unbiased and objective sees a team that is still very young and has a lot of growing to do to build on the positive advances we've made already.

I'm pretty sure that this year won't be great for us, but I also feel that we'll do enough this year that the experience we gain this season plus another solid draft/free agent period will put us firmly on the right track towards being a team that nobody regards as an easy out and eventually a serious contender.

Direwolf

I'm a little worried about the next game, but I'm always that way against division rivals

As long as they play hard (as trhey have been doing) I will pull fopr them win or lose. In fact this is the first year that I can ever remember the entire team giving their all on every play. I for one am excited about what the future holds.

I agree with you Dire about somewhere in the 6 to 7 win area and anything else would be gravy.

Great post, and I completely agree. If we win a tough road game or a home game against a really good team, I'll increase my expectations. Right now, that 5-6 win territory is what I'm thinking...which would be pretty darn good all things considered. But like you said, we're beating the bad teams soundly, which means we're not in their category.

You really should try a more sensational thread title though.

Direwolf

The Tampa game didn't show us getting over matched. We made alot of mistakes, and Tampa made some mistakes, but we just didn't play well at all. Coaches and Players, do you know that 2 of the sacks on Matt Ryan were busted plays, that one play in the red zone, with looked like a QB draw, which the coaches called a run/pass option. Another bust play were it looked like a hand off to Turner, someone went the wrong way. It was supposed to be a run play because the wideouts were blocking for a run play. I think we are not a contender yet for a Super bowl but we could be a middle of the pack team, but just a young team. As a young team we make mistakes. I say we go 8-8 this year, our schedule is not that hard. We should split with Tampa, and Carolina. These are the two toughest defenses in our division. We play the Bears and Vikings both with good defenses and running games, but QB problems. Denver and New Orleans good offenses, but bad defenses. The Rams is a win, and Oakland will probably be a win because they will have a new coach by then.

Direwolf

This quote about being tougher and meaner just puts a BIG smile on my face. That is what I like to see out of the football team that I support. I want teams that play the Falcons to not look forward to the next meeting with the Falcons. I want to see a power football team, and that starts in the trenches.

Direwolf

I think your spot on. The offense seem to have the tools needed to excel at this level, all they need now is time and experience. The defense is a whole other ball game. We are lacking on some positions on defense plus the transition for our veteran players to be overtaken by the up and comming rookies might come during next season. We need another stellar draft with a good pile of free agent pickups to be where we want to be: In the big game.

I think your spot on. The offense seem to have the tools needed to excel at this level, all they need now is time and experience. The defense is a whole other ball game. We are lacking on some positions on defense plus the transition for our veteran players to be overtaken by the up and comming rookies might come during next season. We need another stellar draft with a good pile of free agent pickups to be where we want to be: In the big game.

I'd like to see a draft with at least one DT early, maybe a WLB to take over when Brooking retires (if there's a top-tier guy in the first round and he's the best value, I'd take him - someone like Cushing, maybe, depending on where we finish), and possibly a safety (I'm not taking safety for granted as a position that needs instant help. Milloy may be back for another year, and even if he's not, we've got Coleman who has been very solid so far and we just drafted DeCoud, who will get a chance to show what he can do. We may be okay at safety, honestly).

As far as Fanboy's comment about a more sensational thread title - I'll leave that to clowns like Vick75 and the like. They're welcome to them!

Direwolf

Miami just beat new england,think about it.I to have us around 6 wins but there is a shot at 9.Its a weird time in the nfl.A lot of the old guard is stumbling.Dont beat up the falcons for winning against bad teams.True we have some tough ones coming.

Oh, I wasn't beating up on them for beating two crummy teams - just the opposite, really. Crushing crappy teams is what good teams do. While I don't think we're a good team yet as compared to the rest of the league, we're already pretty far ahead of where I thought we'd be at this point.

Direwolf