WHY IS IT A PROBLEM FOR MILLIONAIRE ATHLETES TO STOP DRIVING DRUNK?

With all of the money, fame, name recognition, and popularity, why is it a problem for millionaire athletes to stop driving drunk? I have no sympathy or tolerance for men that make more money than the president of the United States when it comes to them driving drunk. I strongly feel that there should be some serious clauses put into the contracts of pro athletes concerning their behavior on and off of the field. Maybe if their contracts got hit with a big reduction in pay or they would be fined with 2 to 3 games of no pay, these pro athletes would clean up their acts?

What's your opinion on my topic?

post-188513-1221877948_thumb.jpg

Thanks but i don't drink, smoke, or do drugs. I do understand what you're saying though but i still have no sympathy for any man millionaire or not to be driving drunk or near drunk.

j, go to any restaurant, plenty of selections on the wine list, good friends and lots of parking. you leave, feel fine and drive home. Are you over the legal limit? Sometimes hard to tell.
With all of the money, fame, name recognition, and popularity, why is it a problem for millionaire athletes to stop driving drunk? I have no sympathy or tolerance for men that make more money than the president of the United States when it comes to them driving drunk. I strongly feel that there should be some serious clauses put into the contracts of pro athletes concerning their behavior on and off of the field. Maybe if their contracts got hit with a big reduction in pay or they would be fined with 2 to 3 games of no pay, these pro athletes would clean up their acts? What's your opinion on my topic?

WELL, I'LL TELL YOU JAMES, JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE HAS MONEY, DOESN'T MEAN THEY WILL ALWAYS USE COMMON SENSE.

RICH OR POOR, IT'S A DANGEROUS AND UN-LAWFUL PRACTICE. THE GUYS WITH MONEY ARE JUST THE ONES WHO MAKE THE

HEADLINES WHEN THEY'RE CAUGHT. THE AVERAGE "JOE BLOW", THE PRESS COULD GIVE A RIP ABOUT HIM BEING ARRESTED FOR

D.U.I. THERE ARE 100 TIMES MORE "JOE BLOWS" BEING ARRESTED EVERY NIGHT THAN THE PRO ATHLETES. MAYBE THE JOBS OUT

THERE IN REGULAR SOCIETY SHOULD ADOPT YOUR CLAUSES OF EMPLOYMENT, REDUCTION IN PAY, LAID OFF A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF DAYS ALSO WITHOUT PAY. YOU SEE JAMES, THIS PROBLEM IS BIGGER THAN A SPORTS THING, THIS IS A SOCIETY PROBLEM. THE

BIG GUYS MAKE THE HEADLINES ......... BUT THE EVERYDAY "JOE BLOW" DOES IT THE MOST. I DON'T CARE WHAT ECONOMIC

CLASS YOU MAY BE IN .......... IF YOU DO IT ...... YOU ARE WRONG. AND IT'S JUST A MATTER OF TIME TILL YOU'RE CAUGHT!

With all of the money, fame, name recognition, and popularity, why is it a problem for millionaire athletes to stop driving drunk? I have no sympathy or tolerance for men that make more money than the president of the United States when it comes to them driving drunk. I strongly feel that there should be some serious clauses put into the contracts of pro athletes concerning their behavior on and off of the field. Maybe if their contracts got hit with a big reduction in pay or they would be fined with 2 to 3 games of no pay, these pro athletes would clean up their acts?

I said the same thing about homeless alcoholics sleeping under the bridge. Why won't they stop getting drunk and asking for money to continue to get drunk.

It doesn't matter about your age or social status. Drinking has been around for ever. As long as alcohol is around, people will continue to drink and some will make "high risk" choices. Statistics will show that every one DUI stop equals to several hundred non-DUI stops (driving drunk and not getting caught).

So I think it's just more of a matter of poor choices and that's a directly related to alcohol consumption. Now, with all the money these guys make, I would think that it would be easier for them to have a driver or call a cab. B)

as i've said before in another thread, i cant understand why with all their money these guys are making they dont just hire a driver for the evening? or get a cab?

Exactly. If you want a drink get someone else to drive, hire a driver, or take a cab. If not, stay sober. There is no excuse for it.

The other thing than annoyed me about Milloy, is that he was caught at 3am or 4am in the middle of the football season, just a few hours before team meetings. A commtitted pro shouldn't be out drunk and living it up at that time, whether he's driving or not. These guys have a 6+ month off-season with substantially recuced work commitments, when they can go out and enjoy themselves. A little abstinence and control for the other 6 months really shouldn't be too much to ask, expecially when you are bieng paid a couple of million bucks a year in the expectation that you will give your best to make a team succeed.

It's not just millionaire ball players. Go to any establishment serving alcohol and you will see many people, rich and not so rich, drinking then jumping behind the wheel. Why for 30,000 examples you need only stop by the ATL vs KC game at the Dome tomorrow.
Exactly. If you want a drink get someone else to drive, hire a driver, or take a cab. If not, stay sober. There is no excuse for it.

The other thing than annoyed me about Milloy, is that he was caught at 3am or 4am in the middle of the football season, just a few hours before team meetings. A commtitted pro shouldn't be out drunk and living it up at that time, whether he's driving or not. These guys have a 6+ month off-season with substantially recuced work commitments, when they can go out and enjoy themselves. A little abstinence and control for the other 6 months really shouldn't be too much to ask, expecially when you are bieng paid a couple of million bucks a year in the expectation that you will give your best to make a team succeed.

Exactly, and this is the kind of behavior that ticks me off... :angry:

It's not just a problem for famous rich people. You are singling out the Falcons because of Lawyer Milloy's recent episode and not looking at the cold hard facts. The bottom line is "If you are gonna drink, you need to make preperations ahead of time with friends and family before getting blitzed to make sure this doesn't happen", make plans as to how you are gonna go somewhere and what you are gonna do, and if you can't do that THEN DON'T DRINK AT ALL. JMO.... It's against the law to actually "GET DRUNK" anywhere although I have only heard of it being enforced one time in a texas bar but that is a fact. I know I'm gonna hear crap after that last remark but flame on, study it and debate it and you'll find out that I am right about that.

You are new and you are talking bad about the FALCONS and using Lawyer Milloy as an escape goat clause kinda thing which I must point out that this is : "TALK ABOUT THE FALCONS" : "NOT TALK ABOUT THE FALCONS GETTING DRUNK AND ARRESTED!!!!"..... Your obviously not a Falcons Fan or you wouldn't be posting this garbage.... JMO.....

<_<

Hes probably did team meetings so much he already knows what they are gonna say

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

It seems to me Artie Blank's FALCON FILTER has failed miserably. This is directly due to him being so involved with the team.

If he and McKay were suddenly willing to leave EVERYTHING related to the player personnel of your team a lot of this crap would go away.

Gruden & Allen make it a habit of finding players with a real lack of character and giving them another shot. The latest being Jeremy Stevens.

Drugs, Alcohol, alleged RAPE......................not good BUT GIVEN THE RIGHT SURROUNDINBGS AND CHANGE OF ATTITUDE PEOPLE CAN CHANGE.

It seems to me Artie Blank's FALCON FILTER has failed miserably. This is directly due to him being so involved with the team.

If he and McKay were suddenly willing to leave EVERYTHING related to the player personnel of your team a lot of this crap would go away.

Gruden & Allen make it a habit of finding players with a real lack of character and giving them another shot. The latest being Jeremy Stevens.

Drugs, Alcohol, alleged RAPE......................not good BUT GIVEN THE RIGHT SURROUNDINBGS AND CHANGE OF ATTITUDE PEOPLE CAN CHANGE.

The falcon filter has always been a joke

Well for one thing, alcohol impairs your judgement, so you don't make good judgment calls anyway when you drink. Also, pro athletes are prone to have big egos, so they may not admit to themselves they are impaired. Finally, most NFL athletes have been treated like celebrities since their college playing days, so they may not even think they need to toe the line like the working class slobs (the rest of us).

I wish I could remember the stats exactly, but I heard an interesting story on the radio a few days ago. It was comparing "reaction" times for people who had been drinking, had smoked marijuana, and were talking on the their cell phones. The people talking on cell phones had the worse reaction times of the three groups. Now I am not defending DUI at all. I just found it interesting.

Another tidbit. My wife's boss lost her father this past Tuesday night in an auto accident. Some crazy was just flying down the road on I-75 weaving in and out of traffic, and side-swiped his car. His car veered into the median wall, and he was killed. The speeding driver told the arresting officer, "he was going too slow, so I had to knock him out of the way." Can you believe that? Unfortunately, it's a very sad and true story.

The bottom line is don't drink and drive at all. But also, we all need to pay attention, and drive responsibly.

Perhaps part of the reason the millionaire athletes don't take cabs or limo's is because they want to be seen in thier expensive fancy cars pulling up to or leaving the bars. Part of the ego and bling BS. Same reason they "make it rain" and all the clothes and jewelry etc.

Just a thought.

Many NFL teams subscribe to a service that a drunk athlete can call. The service then meets him at the specified location, drives him home and has someone else drive the athlete's car to his residence. The service is contractually prevented from reporting its use to the team, so management will never find out and is not permitted to retaliate against the player. I'm sure the Falcons subscribe to it, so it makes you wonder about the mindset of players who still take chances.

In another direction: Did it ever say that Milloy was "drunk" or was the issue that he was "under the influence"? Neither one is acceptable, but there's a big difference between me feeling that the beers I drank two hours ago shouldn't affect my reaction time and judgment vs. the six shots of 151 proof rum I had on the way out of the door. Just a thought.

Well for one thing, alcohol impairs your judgement, so you don't make good judgment calls anyway when you drink. Also, pro athletes are prone to have big egos, so they may not admit to themselves they are impaired. Finally, most NFL athletes have been treated like celebrities since their college playing days, so they may not even think they need to toe the line like the working class slobs (the rest of us).

I wish I could remember the stats exactly, but I heard an interesting story on the radio a few days ago. It was comparing "reaction" times for people who had been drinking, had smoked marijuana, and were talking on the their cell phones. The people talking on cell phones had the worse reaction times of the three groups. Now I am not defending DUI at all. I just found it interesting.

Another tidbit. My wife's boss lost her father this past Tuesday night in an auto accident. Some crazy was just flying down the road on I-75 weaving in and out of traffic, and side-swiped his car. His car veered into the median wall, and he was killed. The speeding driver told the arresting officer, "he was going too slow, so I had to knock him out of the way." Can you believe that? Unfortunately, it's a very sad and true story.

The bottom line is don't drink and drive at all. But also, we all need to pay attention, and drive responsibly.

That's messed up. I never understand why the penalties for vehicular homicide are mitigated and tend to be reduced if the driver is drunk vs if he's "in his right mind". He was in his right mind before drinking, so his actions should be held in the same account.