We owe the Bucs a debt of gratitude

ThunderCookie

I know it sounds odd, but Tampa Bay did us a favor.

First, they brought us back to earth. We knew we weren't going 16-0, but Detroit didn't truly test us. Tampa Bay exposed every weakness the has and that helps. The coaches will be able to pour over the film for hours, and that will certainly make us better down the road. It made our young players realize that they will have to fight for every win.

Second, they made Ryan the true leader of the team. Forget whether hit was late, high, or low. His team saw Sunday (and even more as they watch the film) that this high paid rookie is tough. How can a player want to lay to down when the one player on the team who isn't supposed to get hit gets pummeled. And then he stands back up and goes right back to work.

Lastly, they welcomed a group of newbies to the NFC South. No matter what the talent level, when NFC South teams play each other it becomes Thunderdome. Hard hits, legal and other wise, are the soup du jour and they are served all day.

So, while it may have been a hard loss for some to take, it was for the best. The Bucs took us to school, but these Falcons are star students.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True, Bucs are just one of those teams that serve us a slice of humble pie every year. Nothing different, they're just keeping up with the trend.

Certainly I *HOPE*, but I also think the second match-up with TB will be different in the outcome. I expect another

slug-fest, but this next time I think we'll have more of the kinks figured out. In a re-building year, the first 4 games

or so can be rough. However, if we continue to make progress, I do think we're fairly evenly matched. I disagree

with the one guy who thinks their new backer isn't that big a deal. Graham ran right through every arm tackle we

put out there, and bounced off a few others. That kid is a stud, and we'll need to tackle better before we see them

again.

know it sounds odd, but Tampa Bay did us a favor.

First, they brought us back to earth. We knew we weren't going 16-0, but Detroit didn't truly test us. Tampa Bay exposed every weakness the has and that helps. The coaches will be able to pour over the film for hours, and that will certainly make us better down the road. It made our young players realize that they will have to fight for every win.

Second, they made Ryan the true leader of the team. Forget whether hit was late, high, or low. His team saw Sunday (and even more as they watch the film) that this high paid rookie is tough. How can a player want to lay to down when the one player on the team who isn't supposed to get hit gets pummeled. And then he stands back up and goes right back to work.

Lastly, they welcomed a group of newbies to the NFC South. No matter what the talent level, when NFC South teams play each other it becomes Thunderdome. Hard hits, legal and other wise, are the soup du jour and they are served all day.

So, while it may have been a hard loss for some to take, it was for the best. The Bucs took us to school, but these Falcons are star students.

Good point razor.

A good butt kicking can be very motivating! I think this Falcons team will just be more determined!

Certainly I *HOPE*, but I also think the second match-up with TB will be different in the outcome. I expect another

slug-fest, but this next time I think we'll have more of the kinks figured out. In a re-building year, the first 4 games

or so can be rough. However, if we continue to make progress, I do think we're fairly evenly matched. I disagree

with the one guy who thinks their new backer isn't that big a deal. Graham ran right through every arm tackle we

put out there, and bounced off a few others. That kid is a stud, and we'll need to tackle better before we see them

again.

Without a doubt that kid is a good running back and our team will have to respect his abilities. Even the announcers pointed out that he rarley goes down with the first defender to hit him. He is dangerous to go the distance as we learned at the end of the game as well. I feel like our run defense is in no way the problem right now though. Our secondary has to man up a little more. Tampa was converting 3rd and longs all day. That has to stop.

I know it sounds odd, but Tampa Bay did us a favor.

They served a heavy dose of reality to the members of this board, too.

;)

And yeah ... before anyone else says it, the Deadskins did the same for Saints fans ....

If you just look at wins and losses in a rebuilding year, well then I am sure the point of the post is lost on you.

I'm just not one of those that follows the Jim Mora mantra of loving adversity e.g - losing. I don't look at a defeat and say thanks. I also don't expect that many victories this year. I don't believe the Falcons lost due to overconfidence, I believe they lost because their opponent was better, nothing to be thankful for (at least towards TB)from that viewpoint.

They served a heavy dose of reality to the members of this board, too.

;)

And yeah ... before anyone else says it, the Deadskins did the same for Saints fans ....

Why can't the falcons board be politics free? I am not republican and neither I nor any member of my family or friends have been on welfare.

We face the greatest economic challenges since the Great Depression, and all you can think about is who's on welfare.

I dont really get what some of you guys are thinking. Yes, the Bucs smashed Ryan and the OL in the mouth but had they played just about any other team the way they played us on Sunday they would have been beaten and beaten badly.

No ****, I think that was kinda his point.

We have a long way to go, but this was definitely a good game to learn from. A more experienced and mature team would have capitalized on those penalties and stupid plays, and as the season goes on, I think you'll see that we will.

Does anyone think we wanted Ryan to get his passing woes out of the way on the road so the home fans didnt see the INTs and stuff and turn against him?

At home we throw 13 times on the road 33..

Is it a better idea to take your lumps on the road? I think it may be.

Keep the perverbial fickle home fans in your rookie QB's back pocket!

I'm just not one of those that follows the Jim Mora mantra of loving adversity e.g - losing. I don't look at a defeat and say thanks. I also don't expect that many victories this year. I don't believe the Falcons lost due to overconfidence, I believe they lost because their opponent was better, nothing to be thankful for (at least towards TB)from that viewpoint.

I understand where you coming from, but this isn't "adversity is fun". I personally think the team learned a lot and not just by virtue of Tampa being the better team. But I guess if you subscribe to the belief that a loss is just a loss, then there really isn't much to discuss then.

Does anyone think we wanted Ryan to get his passing woes out of the way on the road so the home fans didnt see the INTs and stuff and turn against him?

At home we throw 13 times on the road 33..

Is it a better idea to take your lumps on the road? I think it may be.

Keep the perverbial fickle home fans in your rookie QB's back pocket!

While I think there is sound logic behind your theory, I think Mularkey out coached himself. He basically said, "Kiffin wants to make Ryan beat them with his arm, well I will make Ryan beat us with his arm!"

(And Turner tweaking his ankle didn't help. ;) )

While I think there is sound logic behind your theory, I think Mularkey out coached himself. He basically said, "Kiffin wants to make Ryan beat them with his arm, well I will make Ryan beat us with his arm!"

(And Turner tweaking his ankle didn't help. ;) )

Yah, I wanted to see at least 30+ runs for norwood/turner instead of the 20 they got. That would take away at least 10 of those throws and bring ryans hits/knockdowns/sacks number down. The kid almost got killed out there.

In defense of Mularkey, if we could have blocked it up, there were some throws down the field we could have made. For the most part, we just didnt have the time.

I understand where you coming from, but this isn't "adversity is fun". I personally think the team learned a lot and not just by virtue of Tampa being the better team. But I guess if you subscribe to the belief that a loss is just a loss, then there really isn't much to discuss then.

No doubt the team learned alot about itself as a result of that game, I'm not disagreeing with that. I just don't think TB deserves much thanks. Let's just hope they've learned what they need to, cause as an organization the Falcons have some of the deepest expertise in the lessons learned from losing. There comes a point at which you must win in order to learn more about winning than from continued losing. I expect that 2008 will be a losing year and their year of learning. If they fail to win next year it's a failure similar to failing a grade in school IMO .

No doubt the team learned alot about itself as a result of that game, I'm not disagreeing with that. I just don't think TB deserves much thanks. Let's just hope they've learned what they need to, cause as an organization the Falcons have some of the deepest expertise in the lessons learned from losing. There comes a point at which you must win in order to learn more about winning than from continued losing. I expect that 2008 will be a losing year and their year of learning. If they fail to win next year it's a failure similar to failing a grade in school IMO .

No kidden. They took lots of shots at Ryan and others. Some of those were cheap.

Why can't the falcons board be politics free? I am not republican and neither I nor any member of my family or friends have been on welfare.

We face the greatest economic challenges since the Great Depression, and all you can think about is who's on welfare.

You want the boards to be politics free, and then follow up your lament with a political statement. Classic.