Last Series for the Falcons before the Half in Detroit Game

FalconWong88

I think our coaches were using it as a 2 minute drill for Matt to "get experience."

Yes, you heard me right, I think we were treating the Lions like an exhibition match to get more experience for Matt.

Doesn't it seem that way?

why...a 2 minute drill is a 2 minute drill I dont really know what you mean!!

but no I do not think they were treating it as a preseason game!!

I can understand where you are coming from, but as long as a game's outcome still has yet to be decided, I seriously doubt that the coaching staff would approach any situation purely from a learning perspective. If Ryan needs practice running the two minute drill, that's something that should be done in practice: if they don't think he has it under control yet, then they have no business calling it in a game.

I dont think they treated it as a 2 minute drill. Im much more set on the "getting too cocky" theory myself.

But Im gonna go home and see the gamebook, and game for the 3nd time, just to see what plays were called. Might give my post a more reliable source other than "my" oppinion.

Brb.

Or.. It might just be that as Smith said they wanted to come out and score fast. I believe the thinking was Detroit has an explosive passing game where ours relies more on the run. I believe he wanted to get as many points on the board before the half because he knew in they would make adjustments in the half and starting slinging it.

I think our coaches were using it as a 2 minute drill for Matt to "get experience."

Yes, you heard me right, I think we were treating the Lions like an exhibition match to get more experience for Matt.

Doesn't it seem that way?

That's true...but they shouldn't have been doing it. It changed the momentum. It could've been costly. <_<

I AGREE with ALL OF YOU. I felt that we should have ran the clock out.

It just doesn't make any sense to go out and force ourselves down the field with such a lead and Detroit with no time outs left.

For the guy that said it was because we were afraid of Lions passing game: well if we were unsuccessful moving the ball we would give it up to them for them to score on us with that passing game. (Which did happen)

I guess what I meant was we were overconfident.

Believe it or not, I think it was smart. There are 4 things I think about it.

1. It was an opportunity for Ryan to get experience in a 2 minute drill. These opportunities do not come up as often as you would think, and it's better for him to get practice running them before we need one.

2. We sent a message to NFL defenses that we are an aggressive offense. Be on guard because we will attack.

3. We sent a message that our offense will not do what it's expected to do. We will not be predictable.

4. There was minimal risk involved. We were up 21-7. Worst case scenario, we are up 21-14 at halftime. Best case scenario, we are up 28-7 at halftime. I think notes 1-3 were worth the risk.

Believe it or not, I think it was smart. There are 4 things I think about it.

1. It was an opportunity for Ryan to get experience in a 2 minute drill. These opportunities do not come up as often as you would think, and it's better for him to get practice running them before we need one.

2. We sent a message to NFL defenses that we are an aggressive offense. Be on guard because we will attack.

3. We sent a message that our offense will not do what it's expected to do. We will not be predictable.

4. There was minimal risk involved. We were up 21-7. Worst case scenario, we are up 21-14 at halftime. Best case scenario, we are up 28-7 at halftime. I think notes 1-3 were worth the risk.

I respect what you've said, but it didn't make good "football" sense. It was basically "practicing." We shouldn't practice in a real NFL game. Anyone can win on any given Sunday....remember.... B)

I respect what you've said, but it didn't make good "football" sense. It was basically "practicing." We shouldn't practice in a real NFL game. Anyone can win on any given Sunday....remember.... B)

I agree that the smart move would've been running the ball all 3 downs and running out the clock. And it was a big risk, as was Ryan throwing a go route for his first NFL pass (traditional wisdom says to have him throw short to boost his confidence). Our previous regime was way too predictable, like they were going by a book NFL for Dummies or something. Everybody always knew what we were going to do in which scenario we were going to do it. I really liked the unpredictability.

Think about it this way, an opposing DC is going to look at that and say, what the **** were they thinking. And now that same DC is going to be saying, crap, if they are going to do that at that point in a game, there's no telling what they are going to do at any point in the game.

I agree it was a HUGE risk and if I was the OC I probably would've gone with the safe rush up the middle and kept the 2 TD lead. In hindsight, I didn't love the tactic, but I REALLY loved the message.

PS. Thanks Wong

I think the crucial point here is the field position. I certainly don't mind our O being aggressive and trying not to be predictable. However, the circumstances did not dictate the departure from the run. At this point in the game, we had the momentum that was gained almost exclusively from the running game. If you add this to the fact the Lions had no timeouts left, and we had very poor field position, I believe the most prudent thing to do was to run the ball. In a football game, momentum is so huge, and during the last minute of the first half, we allowed the momentum to shift, and suddenly the Lions are back into the game, and heading into half time down by only seven. And don't forget they get the ball to start the third quarter. Again, if it hadn't been for the poor field position, the decision to pass the ball might might have been more in line.

Let me also say that I am an armchair O Coordinator and hindsight is always 20/20. I still have the utmost confidence in our entire coaching staff, and am proud of the way they overcame this and regained the momentum in the second half and went on to win the game. That speaks volumes for the staff and the team.

I think the crucial point here is the field position. I certainly don't mind our O being aggressive and trying not to be predictable. However, the circumstances did not dictate the departure from the run. At this point in the game, we had the momentum that was gained almost exclusively from the running game. If you add this to the fact the Lions had no timeouts left, and we had very poor field position, I believe the most prudent thing to do was to run the ball. In a football game, momentum is so huge, and during the last minute of the first half, we allowed the momentum to shift, and suddenly the Lions are back into the game, and heading into half time down by only seven. And don't forget they get the ball to start the third quarter. Again, if it hadn't been for the poor field position, the decision to pass the ball might might have been more in line.

Let me also say that I am an armchair O Coordinator and hindsight is always 20/20. I still have the utmost confidence in our entire coaching staff, and am proud of the way they overcame this and regained the momentum in the second half and went on to win the game. That speaks volumes for the staff and the team.

End on positive. Nice.

Yeah, if it was the old Falcons we would have crumbled in the second half from that momentum, but I think we did a great job especially Milloy on the INT.

Oh just stop trying to make it seem like a good call. If we had somehow lost the game due to a shift of momentum, you'd all be bashing smitty about that crazy call...

I waspretty hard on him ....I was yelling...Why? Why?....Why Coach? :lol::lol:Scott24Falcons probably heard me several times....and wondered...Who is this guy behind me?? I WAS ABSOLUTELY LIVID..... :mellow: B)

Risk are what you take outside your own 30 not inside the 10

If you always do what you are supposed to do, the defense is going to know what you are going to do, and you will have less success when you do what you are supposed to do.

We are #3 in yards, #4 in points, tied for #4 in turnover ratio, and tied for #4 in 1st downs. In other words, we had the 4th best offense this past weekend. And we are sitting here criticizing the OC on calls made on one offensive series... Seriously?

Soz for the late reply, I got sick on the way home, Im feeling better now -_-

Risk are what you take outside your own 30 not inside the 10

We werent inside the 10.

Taken from the game book:

Atlanta Falcons at 1:32

1-10-ATL 12 (1:32) (Shotgun) J.Norwood left tackle to ATL 16 for 4 yards (C.Redding).

2-6-ATL 16 (1:13) M.Ryan pass incomplete short middle to J.Norwood [J.DeVries].

3-6-ATL 16 (1:07) M.Ryan pass incomplete short left to J.Norwood (P.Lenon).

4-6-ATL 16 (1:03) M.Koenen punts 51 yards to DET 33, Center-M.Schneck, fair catch by M.Furrey

After reviewing it:

- The Norwood run was solid, nice blocking and making holes from our O-line.

- The pass up the middle to Norwood was lucky not to be a sack. I counted 2 lion defenders on M. Ryan but he managed to chip it off. The wr's didnt seperate giving Ryan little options even though he had a lot of time from the pass protection. With some luck (a little juke :P), M. Ryan could have gotten more from this play.

- On 3-6; M. Ryan almost got intercepted. He had numerous targets open (H. Douglas WIDE open), but his eyes were set on Norwood. Again, this play could have brought more than it did.

At the end of the day, I do believe that the coaching staff got a lot of movie for Ryan to digest, and given the commitment he has preparing, Im not in doubt that he can learn from this not to mention the coaches themselfs.

Well my theory is they got lost in the euphoria of the game, and let their emotions cloud their better judgment.

I will always believe it was one of the DUMBEST things I have ever seen a coaching staff do in a game myself.

We are very, very lucky that we did not lose the game because of that really strange decision.

But maybe you are right about the 2 minute drill. We did have a very large lead, and maybe they thought they could get Matt some experience in the 2 minute drill when there was a safety net. Actually I hope that was the reason. When I consider that scenario, it doesn't seem so dumb after all.

Hehe maybe that is why they only pay me to coach from my armchair. B)