Do we really have a chance at stopping Lion's WR's?

FlyingHigh65

I am reading posts all over the internet C. Johnson is 6'5 blah blah we cant stop him or Roy Williams but wondering what our fan base thinks, their side of the fans is being optimistic about their players, honestly what do you guys think we got a chance?

can they stop our running game?

i dont know much about Lion's since i dont pay attention to them much!

I am reading posts all over the internet C. Johnson is 6'5 blah blah we cant stop him or Roy Williams but wondering what our fan base thinks, their side of the fans is being optimistic about their players, honestly what do you guys think we got a chance?

It will be tough. No doubt. They have size on us. And everyone knows size matters. :D

If we can block for Turner they wont be able to stop it. Their run defense isnt all that great.

Grimes played really really well against Arizona last year, it was actually when I first noticed him, because he played tight coverage on both Boldin and Fitz. I think Boldin is like 6'3 and Fitz is like 6'4. Close enough. Shouldn't be too bad, they have one rookie running back starting, and I guess Rudi Johnson, who has all of like 5 days to learn the playbook, and was getting 3.5 YPC last year. So we won't have to stack the box or anything like that.

And I don't know who the Lions got to replace Sean Rodgers up the middle, but I would be willing to bet they aren't as good as him.

They do have awesome receivers; however, their QB is pretty mediocre and if we are able to get sufficient pressure that will certainly aid our young corners.

well hopefule ABE gets a sack or two, may be we will have a chance if we keep their offense of the field! i just cant wait till the game sunday, i work but i am calling in sick.

The thing is, Calvin and Roy are big and Calvin will probably become an elite WR this season. Where our theoretical advantage lies (in theory because preseason isn't the ideal time for scheme analysis) is that our Defensive scheme allows for WRs to get some catches in but minimal YAC. In preseason the only YAC on us came off of busted plays...and they got rarer as the preseason went on. In my mind the question isn't whether Calvin and Roy will make catches -- because they will -- it's whether they can turn those catches into anything and based off preseason I think we have a good shot of controlling them. We tackled very, very well.

ANYBODY CAN BE STOPPED. THE REAL QUESTION IS, CAN THEY STOP OUR WR?

CAN THEY STOP OUR RUNNING ATTACK? IF THE ANSWER IS NO TO EITHER ONE OF

THESE THINGS ....... THEN THE LIONS ARE IN A HEEP OF TROUBLE, AND THEY DON'T

EVEN KNOW IT ................... BUT THEY WILL SUNDAY!

its going to be really hard

we have bad cornerbacks with an even worse pass rush

so if we get that pass rush clicking and our corners make some plays, then yea of course they can be stopped. its not like calvin johnson or roy wiliams is randy moss and TO. THeyre good receivers, not great and their quarterback is average not good. So i dont think its going to be mission impossble, more like mission difficult.

its going to be really hard

we have bad cornerbacks with an even worse pass rush

I'm curious as to what measure you're using to define our corners as "bad"? Is this simply because that's what the majority of the football world has concluded (with little evidence to back them up) or do you have a justification? I don't want to come off antagonistic but I'm genuinely curious.

Chris Houston certainly wasn't a pro bowler last season, but he was hardly "bad". For the most part he was simply raw and inexperienced. He'll have his shot this season to prove whether he has what it takes or not.

Brent Grimes is the very definition of inexperienced. That doesn't equate to "bad". The only thing we really have to form an opinion of him on is preseason and I have no clue how anyone could be anything but enthusiastic about this young man based on preseason.

Chevis Jackson is the ideal nickel corner for the system we're running and has been exactly the kind of workman corner we thought we were drafting.

I don't know enough about Foxworth to comment.

I guess the gist I'm getting at is why choose the word "bad" to describe our corners? I could see "young", "raw", "workmanlike" heck even perhaps "mediocre" but they really haven't had an opportunity yet to prove whether they're bad or not.

They will probably have time to throw and they have fantastic recievers. However, I EXPECT we'll see slobber-knockers

delivered by our DB's and LB's. Might even see a few ribs cracked. It'll be EXTREMELY physical, and ugly. Watch. Very

few catches (for them) in the 4th quarter.

Of course we got a chnace. I think we got more than a chance. The Lions reciverers from top to bottom are pretty good but none of them are yet elite. Now its not the end all be all strategy cause there is a risk, reward here but if we can get physical with the Lion's recivers and get some presure on the QB we can get out of the game with a win.

I'm curious as to what measure you're using to define our corners as "bad"? Is this simply because that's what the majority of the football world has concluded (with little evidence to back them up) or do you have a justification? I don't want to come off antagonistic but I'm genuinely curious.

Chris Houston certainly wasn't a pro bowler last season, but he was hardly "bad". For the most part he was simply raw and inexperienced. He'll have his shot this season to prove whether he has what it takes or not.

Brent Grimes is the very definition of inexperienced. That doesn't equate to "bad". The only thing we really have to form an opinion of him on is preseason and I have no clue how anyone could be anything but enthusiastic about this young man based on preseason.

Chevis Jackson is the ideal nickel corner for the system we're running and has been exactly the kind of workman corner we thought we were drafting.

I guess the gist I'm getting at is why choose the word "bad" to describe our corners? I could see "young", "raw", "workmanlike" heck even perhaps "mediocre" but they really haven't had an opportunity yet to prove whether they're bad or not.

And the Lions WRs aren't superstars either. They're big, sure, and were stars in college, but they're not indefensible.

The two keys to Sunday are getting to Kitna, and run on offense. I'm hoping Abe can treat Kitna like Jake Delhomme a couple years ago in the opener. Get after his throwing arm and create some turnovers. If we don't pressure Kitna, we're in for a long day. On offense, we should be able to pound Turner at them and bring in Norwood for some big gains. A solid run game should at least keep the game close. Lets remember, this is the Lions we're talking about, it's not the Colts coming to town Sunday. They have a good passing game, but that's about it.

my definition of bad i was using was meant as bad compared to other teams' cornerbacks. If u were 5 foot 7 inches, I wouldnt call u short. But if u were a basketball player, I would call u short. In this case I was directing the "bad" towards our cornerbacks as a group, not as individuals.This is the NFL, when a player or group of players is considered to be in the bottom 5 (this may be a matter of opinion, but I certainly think our cornerbacks are in the bottom 5) of the league (out of 32 teams), thats what i call bad. Chris Houston was bad last year. I mean he was one of the worst starting cornerbacks in the league. U can argue with me on that but his lack of experience and talent to play against the better receivers and quarterbacks definitley showed last year. Just because a year went by, I'm not expecting him to be better. Brent Grimes is a guy that I like, but everything I like about him - I like about him from 4 preseason games. Hes got potential, and thats what I like. He's the type of guys NFL teams would draft as a project player if they saw him play like hes played in the preseason when he played at college. But I cant praise the man too much since he played behind chris houston, sanders (i forget his full name but he was awful), and david irons last year. Chevis Jackson hasnt done anything, and hes not a highly touted player either. He's a 3rd round draft pick and his play during preseason was above average at best. I dont know how hes impressed so many of you (for those that have been impressed by chevis, im sure thats because hes a falcon. if he played for saints and u saw him play, u wouldnt feel the same), but from what I watched, I havn't seen anything from him to call him better than a player like corey ivy from baltimore or former falcon jimmy williams. Our best cornerback was probably Von and hes done for the year so I think our best cornerback now is Foxworth. Foxworth is a solid player, but at most hes considered as above average, but more realistically just average. (personally i really like him because hes got all the tools to be one of the best. u talk about work ethic, athleticism, and football IQ, hes got it)

I understand that our cornerbacks are young, and Im not saying they wont be good cornerbacks in the future, I'm saying as of right now ,they are the opposite of "good". If i was going for the superbowl this year, there would be many many many team's cornerback groups I would take before I take ours. U can call them unproven and young and ud be right, but I call them bad and I dont see how im wrong. After game one, I could be wrong, but not from where they stand right now.