Most Impactful Player on Sunday vs. Lions

What player(s) is/are going to the most impactful and game changing on Sunday? List one offensive, defensive, and ST player. Your reasons can be listed as well if you would like.

Offense - Michael Turner

I am listing Turner not because I don't think Ryan and Roddy will have a good day, but I see Turner being our pivot point if you will. Turner being able to run the ball consistently will allow us to run some playfakes and give Ryan time. When you are able to run the ball well, you have so many more options and can confuse the defense easily. I almost wanted to list Norwood here, but I think Turner will be the guy.

Defense - Brent Grimes

I may be going out on a limb here with our unproven CB but what can I say. I haven't seen a CB with the ability to make a QB think he is beat then break on the ball to knock it down in a long time. He is something special and he knows it. I look forward to ABE, Curtis, Milloy, and Biermann to all have a good performance as well. But we all know about DET WR's and I think Brent will get plenty of time to prove himself.

Special Teams - Adam Jennings

This is a hard one to pick with our recent shake up on the roster. Koenen will have a solid punting game, but not enough to be the most impactful player. I think there is more to him staying around than Thomas Brown being hurt. Maybe I am wrong, but I have faith in TD.

I say:

Offense- I have a feeling it will be Norwood if he gets his touches. I can see him turning some swing passes into big plays.

Defense- Abraham will have a feel day with there left tackle. He will force some bad throws for incompletions and hopefully some picks.

Special Teams- I'm hopping Adam Jennings keeps it rolling from preseason.

defense:

John Abraham - Jeff Backus is terrible, and Abe wont have issues even w a double. They have no running game, and will be forced to pass early

prediction: 5 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 FF

offense:

Michael Turner - Mularky said we will run, run, run. And we will. Dont let all the preseason passing fool you. We will be on the ground all day unless we fall into a shootout.

predicition: 22 carries, 123 yards, 1 TD

Special Teams:

Jason Elam - No big ST plays for us this week. Elam gets back to being solid in the regular season and gives us the 3 point lead late to get a win.

prediction - 2/2 FGs, 2/2 EP

defense:

John Abraham - Jeff Backus is terrible, and Abe wont have issues even w a double. They have no running game, and will be forced to pass early

Even if they try and double Abe, on 3rd and longs, I would definitely put in Biermann or Boley coming off of the edge. Even if a sack isn't registered, Kitna has a problem with throwing INTs under pressure.

Plus, even with Rudi Johnson, as big as their lineman are, they still can't run block worth a crap.

Offense: Michael Turner. I could say Turner/Norwood because they will both be used a lot IMO..I put Turner because he is the featured back and it is a must that he have a big day. The best way to neutralize Kitna and his weapons it to keep them on the sidelines. We will need to put together long sustained drives that eats up clock. If we have a lot of 3 and outs and/or turnovers, we will be in trouble.

Defense: Abe. We need for Abe to have a big game and put pressure on Kitna and get him rattled. This will reduce the effectiveness of Williams and Johnson. If Kitna is allowed to stand back there with no pressure, he can put up some big numbers. Abe will be key in keeping that from happening.

ST: Elam. We have got to have consistent kicking from Elam. He scared me a little in preseason I must admit. I will give him the benefit of the doubt looking at his record. My brother lives in Denver and is a huge Bronco fan. He was bummed when he found out about Elam leaving. He said the guy was automatic, especially when the kick was important. He said he could remember countless times when Elam won the game with a last second field goal. I am banking on that to continue, but Elam's performance is crucial; there is nothing more demoralizing to an offense and to momentum than for the kicker to miss an easy FG.

Here is who needs to have a good game.

Offense: Sam Baker. If Baker shines in his first Regular season start it will not only open holes to run run through, He will make Ryan better and build confidence he will need for the rest of the season.

Defense: Grimes/Houston/Foxworth/Jackson. We all know that Detroit is nasty in the air. If our corners play well we can easily win this game. I list all of them because I honestly feel that we are going to have cornerback by comittee this year. We have been plagued with sub par back up corners over the years (Images of Allen Rossum constantly being burned come to mind). I think this crew all has talent and our coaches will keep fresh legs in the game to combat inexperience.

Special Teams: Jason Elam. Please no more missed fieldgoals. We are shooting ourselves in the foot with wasted opportunities.

defense:

offense:

Michael Turner - Mularky said we will run, run, run. And we will. Dont let all the preseason passing fool you. We will be on the ground all day unless we fall into a shootout.

Special Teams:

Jason Elam - No big ST plays for us this week. Elam gets back to being solid in the regular season and gives us the 3 point lead late to get a win.

You said it all 1989. I second, but with Turner getting two TDs!

defense:

offense:

Special Teams:

I'm gonna agree with all of your picks.

Abe should have fun, Turner will probably break a few big runs, and no way will I put Jennings as impact for anything.

I'm gonna agree with all of your picks.

Abe should have fun, Turner will probably break a few big runs, and no way will I put Jennings as impact for anything.

I didn't want to trust me. But I just believe that TD has faith in Jennings for some reason and that he made the roster for another reason than TB being hurt. I'm going out on a limb I know, but when your are right about it. You look brilliant. Then again, Adam can definitely make me eat some crow.

I am going to go off the beaten track with my picks but I am confident that i will be right.

Offense - I had the most trouble picking this one. I am going with.... The Offensive line. They are going to use and abuse the Lions D-Line. I cheated a little but I think they will have the most impact on offense.

Defense - Okay I am gonna get a lot of laughs on this but I just have a feeling...Jamal Anderson. They will be so focused on Abe that JA will get his first sack and be a wall on the run.

Special Teams - Koenen is going to oin them deep all day long. This is his Pro-bowl year.

And si it is written, and so it is said.....

Offense: Roddy White - Defenses are going to key on Turner because we have a rookie QB. Until Ryan stretches the defense and pulls men out of the box, Turner will have trouble finding running room. That's going to make Roddy White have a big day. I'm hoping Ryan does well enough to give Turner some running room by the second half, but that's all going to reflect through Roddy's production. Prediction: 100 yards, 1 TD

Defense: Keith Brooking - Lofton has shown enough for the coaches to trust him manning the middle. Detroits offense is going to be pre-occupied with trying to scheme against containing a healthy Abraham. Which leaves Brooking to blitz early and often. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Lofton's impact will be felt through Brooking's stats. Lofton will get loads of tackles as Detroit will attempt to exploit the middle of our defense. When that doesn't work, Detroit will be forced to pass, and Brooking will be free to rome. The coaches know the best way to contain that WR duo is by putting Kitna on his back, so I expect to see them send Brooking early and often. Prediction: 4 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 1 PD, and a few QB hurries.

ST: Jason Elam - Most of you are going to hate this and whine about it on Sunday/Monday, but a lot of our drives will more than likely end up in field goals. I hope not, but unfortunately that's the way it typically goes with new offenses, struggling in the Red Zone early on. Prediction: 3 field goals, 2 extra points

I am thinking 23-17 Atlanta over Detroit.

Defense - Abraham - gonna see some sacks this week my friend!

Offense - Michael Turner - Burn Baby Burn!

ST - I would have said Thomas Brown, but that's not an option now - so I'm going to go out on a limb and say Koenan - Pin 'em back with horrible field position! And I think Norwood may see some time returning (possibly) - if so - that is always a threat!

Offense- Mike Turner- hes got power and speed. He is going to light up the lions D. Mularkey better give him the ball!

Defense- I think our corners are really going to show what they are made of. I think they are better than everyone thinks and I want to see them shut down Calvin and Roy

Special- Elam- great verteran pickup. I like Koenen's leg, not enough accuracy. Elam is a great fit.

Falcons 24

Lions 10

GO BIRDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like we are all in sync with picking Turner. Almost our entire defense could step up and it could be anybody. I am still sticking with my pick of Jennings for ST. I wanted him gone as much as the next person, but TD has him here for something. I think he will shine Sunday.

As everybody on here thinks Turner will have the biggest impact, so do the Detroit Lions. I want Turner to blow it up just like everybody else. But the reality is, Turner is probably going to struggle until Ryan proves he can consistently beat blitzes and hit the out patterns, because until he does it "consistently", defenses are going to play inside and make Ryan beat them. And when I say consistent, I'm not talking about completing one pass, he's going to have to beat defenses a bunch of times before they are going to start showing some respect and dropping back.

Offense - Jerious Norwood he's going to end up tearing one off against this defense. Turner will get 15 carries and 85 yards and a touchdown, but Jerious' 10 carry 110 yard performance with a long run of 68 takes the cake.

Defense - Curtis Lofton leads the team in tackles with 12 and a forced fumble. Gotta love the way this kid plays the game. I'm thinking they're going to try to run early, and he's going to shut em down. Runner up Eric Coleman (he's going to be tested)

Special Teams - Michael Koenen pins the Lions inside the 20 twice in this game, and winning the field position battle for us.

Offense- Matt Ryan, I think he is going to have a break out opening game because I believe the Lions secondary is a great unit to start against.

Defense- Brent Grime, I feel they are going to pick on him constantly because of his height and inexperience. I think they will also find out real quick they made a HUGE error. :)......I am feeling a INT returned for a TD at some point in the game for Grimes.

ST-Koenen will keep the Lions on their side of the field most of the game.

Offense: Turner - He has the perfect oppertunity to have a big showing in his first regular season game against the weak Lions run defense. If he doesn't perform, we lose.

Defense: John Abraham - Brent Grimes can be an impact player here, but if Abraham can pressure Kitna, then we will slow down the Lions pass offense.

Special Teams: Hard to pick a player outside Elam, he will need to make some FGs if we cannot establish our red zone offense. Keeping them from getting field position on us in the return game is going to be just as important.