I have a serious question about UGA

etherdome

I am a father of three kids. The oldest is sixteen years old and he is a junior in HS. We are currently going through an enormous amount of propaganda and reviews of the endless numbers of colleges in this country. My son is a great reader....he always has been. He thinks that he might want to write for a living, but he honestly doesn't know. If you ask me, he will likely end up studying Law. Then again, he could just as easily end up writing for a TV show. He is not into sports, he likes film, music and he is in a pretty good high school impov comedy group.

I did my undergraduate studies at Ga Tech. It is a truly good school....if you want to be a physicist, engineer or computer designer. I would not recommend it as a general studies university. We have looked at Emory University. That is a very good school, but it is just too expensive. We will be looking at the U of Florida, FSU, UVA and possibly UGA.

I know that there are plenty of UGA people on these boards and I want to get some real advice about the school. I am sure that my son will qualify for the Honors program. Would that "brand" him as a "nerd" or a "geek?" I have heard so many unflattering things about UGA but I don't know whether to believe them. Is UGA a good school for a kid that likes to play guitar and keyboards (Rock) and enjoys theatre and film? Would he be an outcast because he is not rabid about football? Are there enough serious students on campus to make him feel comfortable? Let's get even more basic: will he find enough girls to date, even though he is not an athlete?

I understand about school loyalties. I am asking, as a father, for your honest opinions. I appreciate your input.

i wish my grades didnt drop senior year and all my stuff went thru, so i could be going there. its a really really good school very open for music, but i know lots of music majors at Gstate, which is where i go, so you might want to ask him what his backup if music doesnt work out is, so that you can a find a good middle school thats good at both, so if he switches his mind, then he doesnt have to transfer to go to good school.

I am a father of three kids. The oldest is sixteen years old and he is a junior in HS. We are currently going through an enormous amount of propaganda and reviews of the endless numbers of colleges in this country. My son is a great reader....he always has been. He thinks that he might want to write for a living, but he honestly doesn't know. If you ask me, he will likely end up studying Law. Then again, he could just as easily end up writing for a TV show. He is not into sports, he likes film, music and he is in a pretty good high school impov comedy group.

I did my undergraduate studies at Ga Tech. It is a truly good school....if you want to be a physicist, engineer or computer designer. I would not recommend it as a general studies university. We have looked at Emory University. That is a very good school, but it is just too expensive. We will be looking at the U of Florida, FSU, UVA and possibly UGA.

I know that there are plenty of UGA people on these boards and I want to get some real advice about the school. I am sure that my son will qualify for the Honors program. Would that "brand" him as a "nerd" or a "geek?" I have heard so many unflattering things about UGA but I don't know whether to believe them. Is UGA a good school for a kid that likes to play guitar and keyboards (Rock) and enjoys theatre and film? Would he be an outcast because he is not rabid about football? Are there enough serious students on campus to make him feel comfortable? Let's get even more basic: will he find enough girls to date, even though he is not an athlete?

I understand about school loyalties. I am asking, as a father, for your honest opinions. I appreciate your input.

Have you considered University of Texas. I love UGA for football and considered going there when I lived back home, but I've been in Austin for 7 years now and UT is one of the best in the country for everything from Law to the Arts. The city is safe, and UT is a very open campus from Hicks to Hippies. The culture here is pretty diverse as well and yet maintains some feel of the south. You should check it out.

I've heard some good things from FSU alumni but really I think the best thing for a kid might be to go to a school that is far enough away that they can maintane thier independece but close enough that should they need you or there is an emergency you are avalible. Its why I choose GSU over Kennesaw which was just too close (also there is a football team :P). But I 'm still only a couple hours from my family if I need them.

Now obvously your kid sounds like he didn't slack off his first two years of high school like I did so he'll have more options (and scolarships :D) Now depending on the major, Tennesee,Vanderbilt, Norrth Carolina, Kentucky or Duke(if his grades are really good) may also be good options.

I have heard really, really good things about the FSU law program. They have a reputation of really taking care of their own.

I took the philosophy in my studies of staying in Georgia for my under-grad and taking advantage of the HOPE, and then going to the best possible Graduate school after, where you arguably get the most bang for the buck.

Being in the UGA Honors program would not brand anyone as a "nerd". In college, that kind of goes out the window, as most of my peers admire those in the Honors program, but it all depends upon the crowd your son associates himself with. In fact, no one would even know he was in the Honors program unless he told them.

UGA is a great school, and I would highly recommend it for any college experience you are looking for.

The Terry Business College at UGA is great (ranked among the best in the country), I know that's not the direction that your son seems to want to go right now, but it's the main part of the school I know. Going to UGA as a smart kid will not get your son branded a nerd or geek.

And if he's into music, bands like REM & the B-52's formed in Athens while attending UGA.

I'm not going to call myself an expert, but after living in Athens for a good while during my high school and college years (part 1 :lol: ) I will tell you what I know. UGA has a really good Law School and an really good school for journalism - I know that personally because I have really good friends in both right now.

The honors program is not a problem to worry about, typically it will impress more people than alienate. The whole stigmata of being a 'nerd' kind of goes away once you are in college.....unless you're one of those nerds that stays inside all day and plays computer games then you're just doing it to yourself.

As for someone who likes guitar and keyboards and I presume music - Athens, Ga is one of the best towns to be in for that kind of thing. It has a really big music scene with some band or artist playing every night and if you play music you are instantly placed on a pedestal in everyone's mind - maybe because the town has such a love/respect for music since it is just as big a part of the town as the football is.

As for the football, don't worry about it if he's not into sports - he more than likely will be. The UGA fan thing is kind of infectious. I've seen people who have never watched a second of sports before go to UGA and end up going to every football game and having a great time. But if he doesn't want to - then that's fine too, no one is going to hold it against him.....for the most part.

Serious students? Check. Some would say there are some that take themselves too seriously.

Girls? No question. Athens is crawling with hot girls, it's actually insane, and once you get on campus it gets even better. You said he plays guitar? Haha, he shouldn't have a problem then. ;)

Basically UGA/Athens is a melting pot of people so no matter what you are going to fit in. If you are a fratty d-bag, or a big 'nerd', or a music guy, or a sports maniac, or a hipster who is too cool for anyone - you are going to find other people like you in Athens. There are whole bars I wouldn't say dedicated to every kind of demographic, but overrun with is a really good way to describe it. Take it from me, Athens is a great place to live - and this is coming from a Tennessee fan. They have everything you could need/want. I've been to other college towns, and I have to say that I wasn't really blown away. Athens is one of the few cities that I have seen where all the cultures seem to mesh together and it works in harmony. Football, music, girls, food, bars - it's got it all.

Got my undergrad and grad degrees from UGA. I'll leave my athletic team biases at the door before continuing.

I got my MBA and knew many other grad students from other disciplines while in grad school in Athens. The law and journalism schools are ones you should very strongly consider if your son has interest in these areas. Since you're a Florida resident, I'd highly recommend UF. It's a solid school and in-state tuition will be attractive.

One thing I'd recommend is visiting as many schools as possible. I grew up wanting to go to Vandy, Ga Tech (dad played football there), FSU, or TN. After visiting 9 or 10 schools, the one I never thought I'd attend felt most comfortable to me...so Athens became and will always be home for me. UGA's B-school is solid and I've taken so much from my time there, from both an academic as well as social standpoint.

I wouldn't fret with any of your concerns regarding UGA. There are so many groups and diverse interests on campus that there really is a spot for everyone, regardless of how little your interest may be in sports, etc. The most valuable advice I can offer is for you guys to visit campuses...as many as possible with an open mind. At the time, UGA is the last place I thought I'd end up. If I hadn't visited and gone only off my preconceived/assumed notions, I might be deeply regretful of where I spent my college and graduate years. I'm so glad I did what I did personally. All the best to you and your family in visiting campuses!

Got my undergrad and grad degrees from UGA. I'll leave my athletic team biases at the door before continuing.

I got my MBA and knew many other grad students from other disciplines while in grad school in Athens. The law and journalism schools are ones you should very strongly consider if your son has interest in these areas. Since you're a Florida resident, I'd highly recommend UF. It's a solid school and in-state tuition will be attractive.

One thing I'd recommend is visiting as many schools as possible. I grew up wanting to go to Vandy, Ga Tech (dad played football there), FSU, or TN. After visiting 9 or 10 schools, the one I never thought I'd attend felt most comfortable to me...so Athens became and will always be home for me. UGA's B-school is solid and I've taken so much from my time there, from both an academic as well as social standpoint.

I wouldn't fret with any of your concerns regarding UGA. There are so many groups and diverse interests on campus that there really is a spot for everyone, regardless of how little your interest may be in sports, etc. The most valuable advice I can offer is for you guys to visit campuses...as many as possible with an open mind. At the time, UGA is the last place I thought I'd end up. If I hadn't visited and gone only off my preconceived/assumed notions, I might be deeply regretful of where I spent my college and graduate years. I'm so glad I did what I did personally. All the best to you and your family in visiting campuses!

Thanks Tiki. I have to admit that the posts in this thread have gone a long way to allay my concerns.

The Honors program at UGA was very solid. Theres no 'nerd' branding in college though...the people taking hard majors/honors are supported for their efforts.

BTW, UGA's entrance GPA this last year was 3.85....with a ridiculous, although I forgot the #, SAT average and median.

Alot of the so called "nerd branders" got left behind at high school. Usally anyone who makes it to a higher institution of learning especially places like UGA , GT or FSU got there cause they worked hard to be there.

The Honors program at UGA was very solid. Theres no 'nerd' branding in college though...the people taking hard majors/honors are supported for their efforts.

BTW, UGA's entrance GPA this last year was 3.85....with a ridiculous, although I forgot the #, SAT average and median.

Really? Yahoo education tells me that the average GPA is 3.76.

From my point of view, as a Florida resident, I would send my son to UGA only if he enters the Honors Program. If he doesn't qualify for that program, then I would be better off, financially, sending him to the U of Florida.

We have to make the best decision possible. Thank you for all of your input. Once again, if anyone knows about the Honors Program (first hand) or the Study Abroad Program, please give me your opinions.