Thinking of moving to GA

falconsd56

I am thinking of moving to GA, my company is opening 2 branches by the end of the year and I have been giving thought to going and being a supervisor in one.

The 2 they have opening up are in Columbus and Augusta.

I would like some opinions on which one would be better?

what are some pros and cons of each?

I appreciate any insight that may be given.

I am thinking of moving to GA, my company is opening 2 branches by the end of the year and I have been giving thought to going and being a supervisor in one.

This applies to both towns:

PROS - You'll be closer to the Falcons

CONS - You'll be closer to the state of South Carolina

I grew up in Augusta and would definitely go there over Columbus. I don't know how Pensacola is down there for you but Goodoleboy described it pretty well. I would definitely say if you move you probably want to stay in Columbia County, probably in the Evans area. Its easily one of the nicer areas with plenty around it. I grew up in Grovetown and unless you are in the military there is no reason to stay there!!!!

I grew up in Augusta and would definitely go there over Columbus. I don't know how Pensacola is down there for you but Goodoleboy described it pretty well. I would definitely say if you move you probably want to stay in Columbia County, probably in the Evans area. Its easily one of the nicer areas with plenty around it. I grew up in Grovetown and unless you are in the military there is no reason to stay there!!!!

Yea I live in Martinez, Columbia County.... Definitely stay away from Richmond County

Thanks for all the info.............. just looking online that seems to be the feeling I got that Augusta might be better to go to.

to those who asked I work for a credit union that is opening up a branch in both spots.

Being closer to Atlanta is certainly something that would be nicer. and I have family in NC so Augusta would be closer to them.

the biggest thing I really have to know is what ares to concentrate on what areas to stay away from.

its VERY hard to get a feel for that stuff online.

again thanks for all the responses :) more is appreciated.

Columbus isn't great, but it isn't bad either. I never lived in Augusta.

No offense to anyone in Columbus, but from my experience, Columbus is a spithole. Augusta has some rough areas, but not so much that you can't avoid them. Between the two, Augusta would be the clear choice for me.

If your poor both places would probably suck. Since your going into decent paying position then Columbus isn't that bad. Explain your personality, that would help me tell you if Columbus is for you.

I'm sorry to answer a question with a question but, Where are you coming from?

Thanks for all the info.............. just looking online that seems to be the feeling I got that Augusta might be better to go to.

to those who asked I work for a credit union that is opening up a branch in both spots.

Being closer to Atlanta is certainly something that would be nicer. and I have family in NC so Augusta would be closer to them.

the biggest thing I really have to know is what ares to concentrate on what areas to stay away from.

For Columbus, Southside area is the hood or ghetto. The city is mostly black and white. The Northside is really nice, I like the area. I stay off University so it's fairly safe. Columbus is around a hour and a half from Atlanta; 95 miles away. Houses are cheaper in Augusta, but cost of living is cheaper in Columbus. Both are strong military cities and have those ties. You probably need to visit both city before making a decision. How long do you plan on living in GA?

PM Me your email address and I can help you out with the areas and stuff... are you looking for a house or apartment or what?

I've lived in Augusta for a few years now and I really like it here. The downtown bar scene is pretty nice, there's a good variety of restaurants, a decent sized mall, some local sports teams (the baseball team has great beer deals), Traffic isn't bad if you avoid driving certain roads around 5pm. My favorite thing is the ability to attend big events in Atlanta, Charlotte, and Columbia. Oh, and as a med student, I have to plug that we have one of the top hospitals in the nation.

Funny that you'd ask about Columbus and Augusta, I've lived in both! Let me give you my take:

(1) Visit both before you make a decision

(2) Augusta is OK, but the city council is dysfunctional and ALL they talk about on the local TV news is racial problems! Broad Street (downtown) is OK, but nothing to brag about. A few bars and a LOT of Antique stores. Don't move out into Richmond County UNLESS you like to smell the paper mills (they have two). Columbia County is better than Augusta (by far). Better schools (if you have kids) I lived in Martinez in the Springlakes Subdivision when I lived there, it was nice. Oh, Augusta has only ONE mall! I could make it to Atlanta in 1 hr 45 minutes easy! Slow down in Taliferro County!

(3) Columbus is not as bad as it used to be when I was stationed there. They tried to clean up the southside for the Olympics, did a pretty good job too, but it doesn't match the Northside!! New Civic Center, had an Arena league football (Wardogs) and a NBADL team also! Downtown is decent, nothing to brag about. Had decent strip clubs on Victory Drive. All of the good stuff is on the northside now. Closer to Atlanta, doesn't have the racial problems that Augusta has (note, Augusta has this problem because they are close to South Carolina, specifically an area they call the Valley. Old habits are hard to break).

(4) Check both out!!