ABC News Confirms Palin Was Member Of Secessionist Party

1968again

Members of 'Fringe' Alaskan Independence Party Say Palin Was a Member in 90s

September 01, 2008 6:52 PM

The campaign of Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., likes to herald the independence of its new running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

Officials of the Alaskan Independence Party say that Palin was once so independent, she was once a member of their party, which, since the 1970s, has been pushing for a legal vote for Alaskans to decide whether or not residents of the 49th state can secede from the United States.

And while McCain's motto -- as seen in a new TV ad -- is "Country First," the AIP's motto is the exact opposite -- "Alaska First -- Alaska Always."

Lynette Clark, the chairman of the AIP, tells ABC News that Palin and her husband Todd were members in 1994, even attending the 1994 statewide convention in Wasilla. Clark was AIP secretary at the time.

"We are a state's rights party," says Clark, a self-employed goldminer. The AIP has "a plank that challenges the legality of the Alaskan statehood vote as illegal and in violation of United Nations charter and international law."

She says it's not accurate to describe the party as secessionist -- they just want a vote, she says, adding that the members of the AIP hold different opinions on what Alaska should be.

"My own separate opinion as an individual is that we should be an independent nation," Clark says. Others in the AIP "believe that being a commonwealth would be a good avenue to follow." Some advocate statehood -- but a fuller statehood than exists now.

She doesn't know what Palin's position was.

"It never came up in conversation," Clark recalls. "But when she joined the party, our platform was right under her nose."

Clark says that Palin left the party and became a Republican in 1996, when she first ran for mayor of Wasilla.

The McCain-Palin campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The AIP platform states that the purpose of the party is to "seek the complete repatriation of the public lands, held by the federal government, to the state and people of Alaska in conformance with Article 1, Section 8, Clause 17, of the federal constitution ... To prohibit all bureaucratic regulations and judicial rulings purporting to have the effect of law, except that which shall be approved by the elected legislature ... To support the privatization of government services ...”

Walter Hickel, a former Republican governor, was elected to the governorship in 1990 as an AIP member -- the third-largest party in Alaska -- with a plurality vote of 38.8%. A Seattle Post-Intelligencer story that year said that "Hickel is running with the Alaska Independence Party, a fringe group advocating that the 49th state declare itself a sovereign nation. But he's not a separatist; he's an opportunist: the Independence Party was the only 11th-hour ticket to the general election."

Hickel returned to the Republican Party in 1994; he endorsed Palin in her gubernatorial run in 2006. Subsequent AIP gubernatorial candidates did not fare as well as did Hickel, garnering less than 2 percent of the vote.

Earlier this year, Palin sent a video message to the AIP for its annual convention, where AIP vice chair George Clark told the small crowd that Palin "was an AIP member before she got the job as a mayor of a small town –- that was a non-partisan job. But you get along to go along -– she eventually joined the Republican Party, where she had all kinds of problems with their ethics, and well, I won’t go into that. She also had about an 80 percent approval rating, and is pretty well sympathetic to her former membership."

Lynette Clark says that Palin is "a fine individual. She's forthright and she puts Alaska first."

She is not a fan of McCain.

"I can't understand why in God's name she has aligned herself with a candidate who opposes the development of our republic and Alaska's resource wealth," Clark says.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This CANNOT be true.

Yes it is !! :lol:

But wait, there's more !!!

Here's a little history on the Alaska Independence Party. The AIP was founded by a gent named Joe Vogler.

Joe Vogler was a real whack job who ran for governor twice while in the AIP.

His platform while running for governor:

1) Stopping the sale of oil to the continental US in order to sell to it Japan.

2) Joining OPEC

3) Developing a military alliance with the Soviet Union to protect against US aggression.

4) And allowing above ground nuclear testing in the Arctic to open the area up for oil development .

Yes it is !! :lol:

But wait, there's more !!!

Here's a little history on the Alaska Independence Party. The AIP was founded by a gent named Joe Vogler.

Joe Vogler was a real whack job who ran for governor twice while in the AIP.

His platform while running for governor:

1) Stopping the sale of oil to the continental US in order to sell to it Japan.

2) Joining OPEC

3) Developing a military alliance with the Soviet Union to protect against US aggression.

4) And allowing above ground nuclear testing in the Arctic to open the area up for oil development .

:o

I see her removing herself from the ticket within a week.

The fundamental goal of the AIP is for Alaska to kick the US out and become its own country.

Here's a link right off there website:

---------------------------------------------

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ABOUT ALASKAN INDEPENDENCE

Q: What is the Alaskan Independence Party?

A: An Alaskan political party whose members advocate a range of solutions to the conflicts between federal and local authority; from advocacy for state's rights, through a return to territorial status, all the way to complete independence and nationhood status for Alaska.

Q: Aren't most Alaskan Independence Party members a bunch of radicals and Kooks?

A: The party has its share of individualists, in the grand Alaskan tradition. No longer a fringe party, the A.I.P. is a viable third party with a serious mission and qualified candidates for elected offices.

Q: If Alaska became independent, wouldn't we lose a lot of federal money?

A: No. If Alaska returned to territorial status, most federal money would still be available. If Alaska were to attain complete independence, its revenues from oil and other natural resources would far exceed the amounts currently received from the federal government, at our current level of resource utilization.

Q: If Alaska were independent, what would happen to my social security check, federal pension, or military retirement?

A: People receive these checks around the world, regardless of their place of residence. In most cases eligibility for such checks would not be effected by Alaskan independence.

Q: If Alaska became independent, would U.S. military bases leave?

A: The strategic location of Alaska would indicate that it would serve U.S. interests to maintain a presence in Alaska. The military are good neighbors. There would be no compelling reason for the military to leave Alaska.

Q: Didn't we vote for statehood already?

A: The vote for statehood was invalid because the people were not presented with the range of options available to them. Further, the federal government has since breached the contract for statehood on numerous occasions in over a dozen serious and substantial instances.

Q: Under independence, what would happen to all the federal controls and regulations?

A: We believe that controls should be exerted by the lowest possible governmental unit. The people of Alaska can better decide what controls need to be in place than can bureaucrats in Washington. Specific local regulation might be either more or less restrictive than current federal regulation. The point is that it will be our regulation, not Washington's.

Q: Would I lose my U.S. citizenship?

A: Depending on the form of independence, several forms of citizenship would be possible, including the retention of U.S. citizenship or dual citizenship. However, considering the moral, educational, and economic decay of the U.S., Alaskans' who hold themselves to a higher standard might very well decide to at least maintain an arm's length distance from a country in decline.

Q: What will happen to major U.S. stores such as Sears, Safeway, and McDonald's?

A: Any company which found it profitable to sell in Alaska would remain. Without the constraints of the deteriorating U.S. economy, and with the enormous wealth of Alaska, international as well as local companies will prosper.

Link

The fundamental goal of the AIP is for Alaska to kick the US out and become its own country.

Here's a link right off there website:

---------------------------------------------

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ABOUT ALASKAN INDEPENDENCE

Q: What is the Alaskan Independence Party?

A: An Alaskan political party whose members advocate a range of solutions to the conflicts between federal and local authority; from advocacy for state's rights, through a return to territorial status, all the way to complete independence and nationhood status for Alaska.

Q: Aren't most Alaskan Independence Party members a bunch of radicals and Kooks?

A: The party has its share of individualists, in the grand Alaskan tradition. No longer a fringe party, the A.I.P. is a viable third party with a serious mission and qualified candidates for elected offices.

Q: If Alaska became independent, wouldn't we lose a lot of federal money?

A: No. If Alaska returned to territorial status, most federal money would still be available. If Alaska were to attain complete independence, its revenues from oil and other natural resources would far exceed the amounts currently received from the federal government, at our current level of resource utilization.

Q: If Alaska were independent, what would happen to my social security check, federal pension, or military retirement?

A: People receive these checks around the world, regardless of their place of residence. In most cases eligibility for such checks would not be effected by Alaskan independence.

Q: If Alaska became independent, would U.S. military bases leave?

A: The strategic location of Alaska would indicate that it would serve U.S. interests to maintain a presence in Alaska. The military are good neighbors. There would be no compelling reason for the military to leave Alaska.

Q: Didn't we vote for statehood already?

A: The vote for statehood was invalid because the people were not presented with the range of options available to them. Further, the federal government has since breached the contract for statehood on numerous occasions in over a dozen serious and substantial instances.

Q: Under independence, what would happen to all the federal controls and regulations?

A: We believe that controls should be exerted by the lowest possible governmental unit. The people of Alaska can better decide what controls need to be in place than can bureaucrats in Washington. Specific local regulation might be either more or less restrictive than current federal regulation. The point is that it will be our regulation, not Washington's.

Q: Would I lose my U.S. citizenship?

A: Depending on the form of independence, several forms of citizenship would be possible, including the retention of U.S. citizenship or dual citizenship. However, considering the moral, educational, and economic decay of the U.S., Alaskans' who hold themselves to a higher standard might very well decide to at least maintain an arm's length distance from a country in decline.

Q: What will happen to major U.S. stores such as Sears, Safeway, and McDonald's?

A: Any company which found it profitable to sell in Alaska would remain. Without the constraints of the deteriorating U.S. economy, and with the enormous wealth of Alaska, international as well as local companies will prosper.

Link

Sounds like garbage to me.....they would have to give me 72 eski....I mean inuit(Im PC -_- ) virgins for me to join

I see her removing herself from the ticket within a week.

Wait !!! There's more !!!

Vogler when he died refused to be buried under the American flag. :o

"Vogler was buried in Dawson City, Yukon Territory, Canada, fulfulling a wish that he not be buried under the American flag. "

Link

And here's a quote from him:

"I'm an Alaskan, not an American. I've got no use for America or her damned institutions."

Are you all just making this stuff up? No way McCain would have picked her if he knew this about her.

No, I'm not making it up. Look at the link I provided.

Link

"Vogler was buried in Dawson City, Yukon Territory, Canada, fulfulling a wish that he not be buried under the American flag."

Vogler hated America and in his vision, saw the US as leeching off of Alaska.

It is sooooooooooo true.

She just hired a private attorney to represent her in the troopergate thing, this just goes from bad to worst as the HOURS go by.

Wait, so McCain chooses a woman for VP that:

1. Is charged with abusing her authority

2. Is a "moral christian" that has an underage pregnant daughter

3. Is a former member of a political group that wants Alaska to leave the U.S., even by use of force

HA !!! The Liberals are pulling everything out of their nasty playoff of distortions and lies, they want this great Woman off the Ticket !!! I knew it, They would not be attacking her so if they were not deathly afraid of her and scared to death that she is going to be the driving force behind McCain's Victory in 08 !!!!

Here are some real facts...........

1.) Since Friday McCain has raised 47 million dollars, that would not have been possible with Sarah Palin energizing the Base.

2.) The Liberals greatest fear has been realized, the Right-Wing Conservative Base is now energized behind the McCain/Palin Ticket

3.) The Selection of Sarah Palin has popped the air out of Obama's Balloon, he got NO bounce out of his convention. NO BOUNCE, the three major unbias polls have the race at a dead-heat.

4.) Sarah Palin has destoryed all the liberal folklore of keeping Women down, and she will Destory the Liberals themselves if they keep attacking her...........Mark my words. There will be backlash that will make the Left Wing Democratic Party into a national party no more.

HA !!! The Liberals are pulling everything out of their nasty playoff of distortions and lies, they want this great Woman off the Ticket !!! I knew it, They would not be attacking her so if they were not deathly afraid of her and scared to death that she is going to be the driving force behind McCain's Victory in 08 !!!!

1.) Since Friday McCain has raised 47 million dollars, that would not have been possible with Sarah Palin energizing the Base.

2.) The Liberals greatest fear has been realized, the Right-Wing Conservative Base is now energized behind the McCain/Palin Ticket

3.) The Selection of Sarah Palin has popped the air out of Obama's Balloon, he got NO bounce out of his convention. NO BOUNCE, the three major unbias polls have the race at a dead-heat.

4.) Sarah Palin has destoryed all the liberal folklore of keeping Women down, and she will Destory the Liberals themselves if they keep attacking her...........Mark my words. There will be backlash that will make the Left Wing Democratic Party into a national party no more.

Delusional.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/20..._obama-225.html

She is not a great woman if she believes that Alaska should secede from the Union.

She is not a great woman if she follows a man that refuses to be buried under the American flag.

Where is your outrage on this ???

1. Wrong. He has raised 47 million in the month of August, not since Friday

2. The right wingers were gonna vote for McCain if he picked Mickey Mouse as his VP. It does not matter.

3. Obama got 4 % points out of the convention, and is up 49% to 42%

4. That is wrong on so many levels.

realclearpolitics is a real far-left loon site that makes up numbers, Why dont you try SeanHannity.com or Rush Limbaugh. com for some real perpective on whats going on.....

You liberals no longer have a monopoly on what is said and is put out to the American people and soon you will no longer have a National Party..............................

realclearpolitics is a real far-left loon site that makes up numbers, Why dont you try SeanHannity.com or Rush Limbaugh. com for some real perpective on whats going on.....

You liberals no longer have a monopoly on what is said and is put out to the American people and soon you will no longer have a National Party..............................

Delusional.

The Liberals tryed to Trick and pressure John McCain into taking Pro-Choice Tom Ridge or Even Independent Democratic (Who by the way is going to vote for John McCain) Joe Liberman, and they were STUPID enough to think McCain might actually fall for it.

I would have loved to have seen some of the Liberals faces when he announced Sarah Palin Friday, I bet Dark-Heads False Teeth fell out of his mouth..................

The Liberals tryed to Trick and pressure John McCain into taking Pro-Choice Tom Ridge or Even Independent Democratic (Who by the way is going to vote for John McCain) Joe Liberman, and they were STUPID enough to think McCain might actually fall for it.

I would have loved to have seen some of the Liberals faces when he announced Sarah Palin Friday, I bet Dark-Heads False Teeth fell out of his mouth..................

You really hate me huh? You must because you talk about me all the time.