Who else could or does what I have to do for the family pet.

51FALCON

Twice a week I have to jab a needle in the back of the family cat and give it fluids. She is sixteen and in the beginning of kidney failure. It does not hurt her but she does not like it. She wrestles around. It takes about five minutes, and I have to keep the IV in the whole time. It is amazing what people will do for thier pets. I cannot quite believe I do it either, but I just can't put her down yet. She still gets around well.

I have a diabetic kitty and, in addition to his special diet, I have to give him two insulin shots a day.

Ok, you have me beat. That is much harder. We love our animals though don't we. I used to volunteer at the Atlanta Humane Society, that is where I got my cat in 1993. When I met my wife and we moved in together, I am not sure she wanted a pet. But she has spoiled that cat rotten since, she loves her more than I do. My kids, who did not know the cat existed for years, all of the sudden can't leave her alone. In short, she is part of the family and I have to do what I have to do just as you. I a cannot imagine having to give two shots a day.

I have a diabetic kitty and, in addition to his special diet, I have to give him two insulin shots a day.

i dont give her shots anymore since im at college, but i have a diabetic cat also. tragically she developed it from her medicine that she has to be on for athsma. we give her a half pill morning and night (prednezone, sp?) and she developed diabetes from being on it for so long. now she gets 2 shots of insulin a day also, along with the special food you mentioned.

shes still very playful though, shes not that old yet, 7 or 8 i want to say, and she gets around great. i miss all my animals now that im in college, especially my dog ben. :P

Ok, you have me beat. That is much harder. We love our animals though don't we. I used to volunteer at the Atlanta Humane Society, that is where I got my cat in 1993. When I met my wife and we moved in together, I am not sure she wanted a pet. But she has spoiled that cat rotten since, she loves her more than I do. My kids, who did not know the cat existed for years, all of the sudden can't leave her alone. In short, she is part of the family and I have to do what I have to do just as you. I a cannot imagine having to give two shots a day.

The shots don't bother him, the needles are very fine. If I didn't have to touch the back of his neck to give it to him, he wouldn't notice alot of the time.

Pets are like family. My oldest cat suddenly became very ill last week and passed away. Before disposing of the remains, my vet took a paw print of her's in clay, baked it, and gave it to me. It was a very touching thing to do, and I will keep that heart-shaped piece of clay (complete with a few cat hairs!) forever.

I wouldn't even feed a cat(much less have one). I hate them. Now a dog, that's a different story. A dog is your friend. A cat is a sneaky ******* though.

I was waiting for the first cat hater to show up, and they did. I like cats. My family had them when I was young, so I guess that is why.They also do not need as much work. I am not going to walk a dog. A cat can use a litter box as soon as you show them where it is. I like dogs, and if I had the proper yard, would have one. I just like cats.

just recently had to have a cat put down....about 2 months ago actually. this thanksgiving, she would have been 21. she had been to the vet about a year ago b/c she couldn't walk. they gave her a steroid injection and she was fine for about 6 months, then the same thing happened a 2nd time. then about 3 months before we opted to have her put down, she made monthly trips for explosive bowel movements, not making it to the litter box, when she could make it, she missed or couldn't get all the way in, and then there was the whole not being able to walk or support herself again. they also thought she had early stages of kidney failure. very tough decision, but i was at a point of where i couldn't afford monthly trips to the vet and the vet felt that frequent trips were going to be an ongoing issue with her given her age and state. i just thought it was the more "humane" thing to do for her rather than let her suffer through possibly 2 months, 6 months, or even 2 more years of not being able to make it to the litter box or uncontrollable bowels.

just recently had to have a cat put down....about 2 months ago actually. this thanksgiving, she would have been 2. she had been to the vet about a year ago b/c she couldn't walk. they gave her a steroid injection and she was fine for about 6 months, then the same thing happened a 2nd time. then about 3 months before we opted to have her put down, she made monthly trips for explosive bowel movements, not making it to the litter box, when she could make it, she missed or couldn't get all the way in, and then there was the whole not being able to walk or support herself again. they also thought she had early stages of kidney failure. very tough decision, but i was at a point of where i couldn't afford monthly trips to the vet and the vet felt that frequent trips were going to be an ongoing issue with her given her age and state. i just thought it was the more "humane" thing to do for her rather than let her suffer through possibly 2 months, 6 months, or even 2 more years of not being able to make it to the litter box or uncontrollable bowels.

IMO, you did the right thing, Mookie. Cats are prideful animals and I'm sure your kitty wasn't enjoying her life. I'm sorry for your loss.

just recently had to have a cat put down....about 2 months ago actually. this thanksgiving, she would have been 2. she had been to the vet about a year ago b/c she couldn't walk. they gave her a steroid injection and she was fine for about 6 months, then the same thing happened a 2nd time. then about 3 months before we opted to have her put down, she made monthly trips for explosive bowel movements, not making it to the litter box, when she could make it, she missed or couldn't get all the way in, and then there was the whole not being able to walk or support herself again. they also thought she had early stages of kidney failure. very tough decision, but i was at a point of where i couldn't afford monthly trips to the vet and the vet felt that frequent trips were going to be an ongoing issue with her given her age and state. i just thought it was the more "humane" thing to do for her rather than let her suffer through possibly 2 months, 6 months, or even 2 more years of not being able to make it to the litter box or uncontrollable bowels.

Such a young cat to have such problems, but just like humans they have problems. Yes, there is a point when I will put her down. I think I am going to do it myself at home. I am going to find how on the internet. I just don't want our long time family companion to die alone.

I read the first three posts and I just had to stop cause it was deppresing. I remeber when my first dog died I found out after I got home from a baseball game. Typical problems with a little dog. Legs give out, eyes start to leak but she seemed happy so we didn't put her down.

But isn't this the thing you dread when you first get a dog or cat. Already start thinking about how sad it going to be when the time finally comes. You know at the most if they're lucky they might get two decades but even then you might not call it luck.

Such a young cat to have such problems, but just like humans they have problems. Yes, there is a point when I will put her down. I think I am going to do it myself at home. I am going to find how on the internet. I just don't want out long time family companion to die alone.

Talk to your vet. Many/most now allow people to stay with their animals. I know mine allowed me as much time as I needed with my kitty after she died.

Such a young cat to have such problems, but just like humans they have problems. Yes, there is a point when I will put her down. I think I am going to do it myself at home. I am going to find how on the internet. I just don't want out long time family companion to die alone.

i had a typo in that....i put 2, but at thanksgiving she would have been 21, so i left off the 1. but i corrected it ^_^

i had a typo in that....i put 2, but at thanksgiving she would have been 21, so i left off the 1. but i corrected it ^_^

I am glad you corrected that because that makes a big difference. A long time companion. Kidney failure makes more since. With animals their kidneys seem to go first.

My family paid 1500 dollars for emergeny surgery to save our dog

I paid roughly that same amount for a stray that I found. She was a sweet little cockerspaniel. Right after I paid to have her worked on she was laying in the backyard and since she was deaf she never heard my father backing the lawnmower up. Very sad.

I paid roughly that same amount for a stray that I found. She was a sweet little cockerspaniel. Right after I paid to have her worked on she was laying in the backyard and since she was deaf she never heard my father backing the lawnmower up. Very sad.

O man that sucks. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Honestly my dog is like another brother or sister I grew up with her so I would be willing to dish out some money to keep her healthy.

O man that sucks. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Honestly my dog is like another brother or sister I grew up with her so I would be willing to dish out some money to keep her healthy.

Thanks.

She had cancer, cataracts, she was deaf, abused, she had her throat cut as well. She had a hard life.

My mother just lost her second Yorkie when the Falcons played the Colts. She had that dog for 15 years.

My aunt died, three of my grand parents have died, my parents got divorced, but I can honestly say the saddest I have ever been is when I had to hand my dog over to the vet to be put down. My feelings and reaction were completely unexpected. We "adopted" her late in her life, she was messed up from day one and I liked our other dog a lot better. But just handing her to the vet and knowing what was about to happen and seeing her sad face looking at me on the way out of the door...the worse pain I have ever felt. I sat in the parking lot for 10 minutes crying. My only comfort was knowing that it had to be done.

I understand wanting to keep your pet alive for as long as possible, but don't lose sight of their feelings.

</theonlyheartfeltpostI'llevermake>

My aunt died, three of my grand parents have died, my parents got divorced, but I can honestly say the saddest I have ever been is when I had to hand my dog over to the vet to be put down. My feelings and reaction were completely unexpected. We "adopted" her late in her life, she was messed up from day one and I liked our other dog a lot better. But just handing her to the vet and knowing what was about to happen and seeing her sad face looking at me on the way out of the door...the worse pain I have ever felt. I sat in the parking lot for 10 minutes crying. My only comfort was knowing that it had to be done.

I understand wanting to keep your pet alive for as long as possible, but don't lose sight of their feelings.

</theonlyheartfeltpostI'llevermake>

It may (or may not) be the only heartfelt post you'll ever make, but it was a good one.

My oldest cat suddenly became very ill last week and passed away.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm a combination of the $1,500 guy and the first poster with the needle. The cat in my sig, Calvin, suddenly started throwing up last month. He almost died from it and had to spend the week at the animal hospital. He's doing a lot better now, but I have to give him 150ml of fluid every day. He...does not like it. I give him tuna afterward as the carrot incentive.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm a combination of the $1,500 guy and the first poster with the needle. The cat in my sig, Calvin, suddenly started throwing up last month. He almost died from it and had to spend the week at the animal hospital. He's doing a lot better now, but I have to give him 150ml of fluid every day. He...does not like it. I give him tuna afterward as the carrot incentive.

At first my kitty resisted his insulin shots...not because they hurt him, but because...well, because he is a cat. I happen to think cats are pretty smart - as soon as mine figured out he felt better when he got insulin, he stopped being a pain in the butt about it. Maybe the same will happen with your kitty...he won't like the process, but will love the result.

I'm sorry for your loss.

What I didn't mention here is that for the last five years our cat has thrown up at least twice a week on our carpet. It is the reason I will not get new carpet. She started off with a thyroid condition we were to give her medication for, but it never ended the puking. It went on to a kidney problem. We stick with her though, sometimes it hard, but we do.