Auburn's new spread offense?

kdkane79

It stunk up the joint. I think before the fourth quarter, they didn't have one pass play over 7 yards. they were throwing these three and four yard passes and not getting anywhere. I know they didn't throw the ball downfield one time the whole game, well at least before the fourth quarter. It was like same old Auburn, which I am not complaining, because they ran for 325 yards. But this looked nothing like the Florida spread or West Virginia spread. And we are supposed to have the guru or spread offenses. Plus it was against a crappy team in UL-Monroe. Maybe they were holding their cards closer to them for a more important game.

Well, UL-Monroe did beat Alabama last year.

What was awesome was the first defensive play of the game, Auburn sacked their QB and ran it in for a TD. And they ran a punt back for a TD, which their first one in 12 years and the longest active streak in FBS(119 teams).

P.S. There were some very, very nice hotties there to make up for the sorry offense.

I think everyone pretty much figured this would be the case, Auburn fans didn't really want to listen though. They're going to need to run the ball a lot this year to be successful, and that shouldn't be a problem because Auburn has some great talent at running back.

Burns being 4 of 9 for 15 yards is pretty horrible, even with the assumption that the offense was going to struggle. For some reason, Auburn fans thought they could just plug the guys they had in and everything would be fine. You need very specific players for a spread offense, and Auburn doesn't have them yet. They will though in about 2 years.

Brad Lester, Ben Tate, Eric Smith, and Mario Fannin (Are you guys still playing him at running back or did he switch to receiver?) is going to be the strength of your team. Burns did look good running the ball though

kdkane,

I continue to tell auburn fans this and they won't listen. Your wrs aren't good enough IMO to be playmakers in that offense.. Your strength is at the rb position. Tubs said that same thing about your wrs and rbs, but that you guys will try to get it done anyways. He said that's why recruitings wrs is soo vital to you guys and the new system will help that happens.

Everyone has been hyping up this Auburn team, but I can't buy into it because of their offense. Until they can prove themselves to be this reformed spread style offense I've heard about I can't consider them as a top SEC team

No kidding, Tommy Tuberville is the most overrated "underrated" coach out there. Doesn't he have like two 10 win seasons? :lol:

They lose both their OC, DC, some studs on D, and some people have the audacity to say they are national championship contenders. I think they have a great shot to win the West, but people get too wrapped up in them for sure.

No kidding, Tommy Tuberville is the most overrated "underrated" coach out there. Doesn't he have like two 10 win seasons? :lol:

They lose both their OC, DC, some studs on D, and some people have the audacity to say they are national championship contenders. I think they have a great shot to win the West, but people get too wrapped up in them for sure.

Calling Tuberville overated is little bit of a stretch. He has the fifth best winning % in the nation over the last four years. So that's hardly overrated. Also, Auburn is not the state school and has to compete with bigger powers than Auburn in the SEC, with Alabama, UGA, UF, UT, LSU. So Tuberville has done pretty dang well with the talent his is given. Just listen to all of the media say he is the best at getting the most out of his players.

And I bet they beat UT this year. B)

It stunk up the joint. I think before the fourth quarter, they didn't have one pass play over 7 yards. they were throwing these three and four yard passes and not getting anywhere. I know they didn't throw the ball downfield one time the whole game, well at least before the fourth quarter. It was like same old Auburn, which I am not complaining, because they ran for 325 yards. But this looked nothing like the Florida spread or West Virginia spread. And we are supposed to have the guru or spread offenses. Plus it was against a crappy team in UL-Monroe. Maybe they were holding their cards closer to them for a more important game.

Well, UL-Monroe did beat Alabama last year.

What was awesome was the first defensive play of the game, Auburn sacked their QB and ran it in for a TD. And they ran a punt back for a TD, which their first one in 12 years and the longest active streak in FBS(119 teams).

P.S. There were some very, very nice hotties there to make up for the sorry offense.

Good to know! Maybe the reign of beating Bama will be over.. :P

I think everyone pretty much figured this would be the case, Auburn fans didn't really want to listen though. They're going to need to run the ball a lot this year to be successful, and that shouldn't be a problem because Auburn has some great talent at running back.

Burns being 4 of 9 for 15 yards is pretty horrible, even with the assumption that the offense was going to struggle. For some reason, Auburn fans thought they could just plug the guys they had in and everything would be fine. You need very specific players for a spread offense, and Auburn doesn't have them yet. They will though in about 2 years.

Brad Lester, Ben Tate, Eric Smith, and Mario Fannin (Are you guys still playing him at running back or did he switch to receiver?) is going to be the strength of your team. Burns did look good running the ball though

Yeah Kodi looked real good running the ball but he never got a chance to throw the ball. He only had 9 attempts. How can you have any passing stats when you only throw 9 times. Lester, I think dropped a ball that could have went for a huge gain. Also, they were rotating QB's after every series. I know when UGA had Greene and Shockley, they at least played awhile and then got subbed out. But this was every series. And they didn't get a chance to throw down field. The only passes were little screen passes or short routes for 5 yards. I didn't really hear Fannin's name that much but I know he is a boss and can do good things.

I would have rather stayed with a power running game but I did want some down field throwing kind of like how UGA does. But there were NONE. It was really frustrating but I will wait and see how they come together in a few weeks. At least we have a couple of easy teams to start with.

Calling Tuberville overated is little bit of a stretch. He has the fifth best winning % in the nation over the last four years. So that's hardly overrated. Also, Auburn is not the state school and has to compete with bigger powers than Auburn in the SEC, with Alabama, UGA, UF, UT, LSU. So Tuberville has done pretty dang well with the talent his is given. Just listen to all of the media say he is the best at getting the most out of his players.

And I bet they beat UT this year. B)

In 14 years as an SEC head coach, Tuberville has:

- 0 National championships

- 1 SEC title

- Two 10 win seasons

- Not made a bowl game 4 of those years

All the while having the state of Alabama (since he's been there, it's been the #7 state in terms of producing D1-A players) to fall back on for recruiting.

Sorry if I'm not impressed.

Compare those numbers to other elite SEC coaches and he doesn't come anywhere close.

He's a good "big game" coach. That's about it.

In 14 years as an SEC head coach, Tuberville has:

- 0 National championships

- 1 SEC title

- Two 10 win seasons

- Not made a bowl game 4 of those years

Sorry if I'm not impressed.

Compare those numbers to other elite SEC coaches and he doesn't come anywhere close.

He's a good "big game" coach. That's about it.

ok, 5 or 6 of those years he was at Ole Miss, so that doesn't really count. That is kind of like saying Steve Spurrier is not a good coach because he didn't do anything at Duke. I'm not judging him on his whole career. I am talking about his time at Auburn. That is like saying he didn't make it to a bowl game coming from FAMU. No coach is going to tear it up at Ole Miss, they just don't have the players. The thing is if you put Tuberville at any of the schools who constantly have Top 5 recruiting seasons, he would have won more. I think he has done an awesome job with the talent his is given. Yeah, any coach can put together 10 win seasons with top 5 recruits every year. Did Fulmer tear it up his first few years at UT? I really don't know, i'm not arguing. I don't think spurrier did.

You have to remember Auburn is not the state school. Most top recruits are going to go with the Big Time school first. Auburn has only had a few good recruiting classes at Auburn but has constantly produced since he has been here.

ok, 5 or 6 of those years he was at Ole Miss, so that doesn't really count. That is kind of like saying Steve Spurrier is not a good coach because he didn't do anything at Duke. I'm not judging him on his whole career. I am talking about his time at Auburn. That is like saying he didn't make it to a bowl game coming from FAMU. No coach is going to tear it up at Ole Miss, they just don't have the players. The thing is if you put Tuberville at any of the schools who constantly have Top 5 recruiting seasons, he would have won more. I think he has done an awesome job with the talent his is given. Yeah, any coach can put together 10 win seasons with top 5 recruits every year. Did Fulmer tear it up his first few years at UT? I really don't know, i'm not arguing. I don't think spurrier did.

You have to remember Auburn is not the state school. Most top recruits are going to go with the Big Time school first. Auburn has only had a few good recruiting classes at Auburn but has constantly produced since he has been here.

Because the "big time" school has a much better tradition and a better recruiter at HC. Coaches aren't "given" talent. They are 100% responsible for going out and getting it. The state of Alabama is full of elite HS talent. He has no excuses for not bringing in top flight players.

Recruiting ability is a huge part of being a great coach.

And take out his numbers from Ole Miss and it really isn't much better. In 9 years at Auburn:

- 0 National Championships

- 1 SEC title

- 2 SEC West titles

- 2 ten win seasons (that is really bad for an "elite" coach)

Let's face it, he just really doesn't win that many games compared to elite SEC coaches. In the same time frame, Fulmer has FOUR 10 win seasons. Not to mention NINE 10 win seasons for his career in the SEC.

I think Tuberville is a good coach, I just don't know why people put him in the same category as any of the coaches in the SEC that have won National Titles.

I mean, jeez, if Tennessee would have gone 8-4 last year in the regular season, Fulmer would have REALLY had the heat on him to get fired even moreso from the media. However, Tuberville goes 8-4 and he is still a "good coach"?

:rolleyes::lol: