Falcons Now Tampa 2 Scheme?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well - overall scheme to the defense - The alignment is still 4-3 (4dlineman, 3 lbs), but their coverages change a lot. One thing that is common is the MLB drops to cover middle of field a lot. The safeties widen and the cbs sit in a lot of shorter coverage.

Tampa 2 is made popular because CBs don't have to be superstars and don't have to be really that fast - they just have to be good in zone coverage mainly.

What do the yellow circles indicate? I am trying to figure more about the actual "x's and o's" of football.

Where offenses could take advantage of the system. Having a great TE has always been a big key in beating the cover 2. Besides you should have 2 good coverage safeties, because they have a lot of ground to cover.

What do the yellow circles indicate? I am trying to figure more about the actual "x's and o's" of football.

Dead Spots between the zones... That's where the offense has the highest probability of completing a pass.

Tampa 2 Variation puts a lot of responsibility on the Mike LB because he is responsible for a larger zone than the traditional cover two. This allows the safetys and CB to shift their Zone coverages to seal the deadspots (yellow circles).

In Theory, the Tampa 2 is designed to eliminate deadspots in the zones without shifting to a different coverage scheme (IE: Cover 3, please don't ask)

However, with all zone coverages (non-blitz) your DL has to put consistent pressure on the QB, it this happens, the QB has to get the pass off quick, hence shorting the field, and limits his options. The Tampa two is designed to significantly reduce yardarge per reception and illiminate YAC.

No pass Rush from your DL or innability to stop the run with the front seven, pulls a team out of the Tampa Two and usually generates Man-to-Man assignemnts in the secondary with one Deep safety (usually FS) with TE responsibility to LB with over the top help from the SS.

That scheme should have never been called the Tampa 2...it should be called the Dungy 2 it's his...you guys are getting credit for it, but he's the master.

Sure dont give any credit to the Players and other coaches.(Kiffin)

Its a team effort. Tampa 2 would never had been called Tampa 2 if it wasn't for players like John Lynch, Brooks, Sapp.

Well - overall scheme to the defense - The alignment is still 4-3 (4dlineman, 3 lbs), but their coverages change a lot. One thing that is common is the MLB drops to cover middle of field a lot. The safeties widen and the cbs sit in a lot of shorter coverage.

Tampa 2 is made popular because CBs don't have to be superstars and don't have to be really that fast - they just have to be good in zone coverage mainly.

This does concern me a little bit. I am not sure this is playing to Loftin's strengths. He wasn't the fastest guy coming out & coverage was the weak knock against him on draft day. Going primarily to the Tampa 2 would mean he's on the field less I would think, or either we might have a weak spot there.

This does concern me a little bit. I am not sure this is playing to Loftin's strengths. He wasn't the fastest guy coming out & coverage was the weak knock against him on draft day. Going primarily to the Tampa 2 would mean he's on the field less I would think, or either we might have a weak spot there.

I see the same problem, Lofton seems to be more of a run-stopper than a cover-LB, maybe Boley takes a bigger part of the zone that Lofton should fill ... I can't see us play a Tampa 2 the way Indy or Tampa does.