Was DStone's off field issue the reason?

michaelgee

Stone's legal problem over the summer, not even sure what it was.

Could that be a factor?

JWill had a legal problem too and he's already gone.

Obviously I don't know for a fact one way or the other, but I can say this: If I were a GM and was trying to decide about a particular player, and I knew it was possible he may face sanctions under the personal conduct policy, it would make a difference to me.

I bet it certainly didn't help. But one poster summed it up, I think by saying the other guys we kept can play both Safety positions and it seems versatility is an important TD/Smith philosophy.

Stone has shown range in coverage and we all know he can hit. Harris hasn't ever done a **** thing at safety besides get beat for a TD by Bobby Engram last year. He was no better than Jimmy there either. and Stone is a better ST guy also. I wish I knew the reason. Harris was invisible during the pre-season.

Stone has shown range in coverage and we all know he can hit. Harris hasn't ever done a **** thing at safety besides get beat for a TD by Bobby Engram last year. He was no better than Jimmy there either. and Stone is a better ST guy also. I wish I knew the reason. Harris was invisible during the pre-season.

agreed

I don't disagree with you... I'm still trying to rationalize it myself... Maybe there's more too it than we think.

Stone has shown range in coverage and we all know he can hit. Harris hasn't ever done a **** thing at safety besides get beat for a TD by Bobby Engram last year. He was no better than Jimmy there either. and Stone is a better ST guy also. I wish I knew the reason. Harris was invisible uring the pre-season.

stone struggled in deep coverage; decoud and harris are both converted corners-i think that is the reason

I don't think so as much. I think the other guys offered more than stone. Stone was a pure SS nothing else. Decoud was a SS/FS Harris was a FS/CB. All 3 can play ST pretty well so with the other 2 having more experience else where they was kept while stone was not.

what? Harris was a practice squad scrub till his old Louisville coach came and gave him a job. When Stone got in the game last year at safety he wasn't a liability at all. He's better in coverage than y'all give him credit for and Harris sure wasn't good back there. Stone wasn't the one giving up long touchdowns. and he sure had a better shot covering long than Milloy. If we can disguise him why not Stone?

I loved his head hunter mentality, but he never did wrap up. This happened over and over and is a dangerous thing to do as a safety.

what Stone were u watching? he does wrap up when he needs to. If he's persuing someone he reaches out and wraps them up. If he has a clear shot, he takes it and connects.

what? Harris was a practice squad scrub till his old Louisville coach came and gave him a job. When Stone got in the game last year at safety he wasn't a liability at all. He's better in coverage than y'all give him credit for and Harris sure wasn't good back there. Stone wasn't the one giving up long touchdowns.

Yep, Harris is as sorry this season as he was last season.

what? Harris was a practice squad scrub till his old Louisville coach came and gave him a job. When Stone got in the game last year at safety he wasn't a liability at all. He's better in coverage than y'all give him credit for and Harris sure wasn't good back there. Stone wasn't the one giving up long touchdowns.

I will say this, I think Stone's ceiling is WAY WAY WAY higher than Harris. However, Smitty has repeatedly mentioned the importance of safeties who can play corner and vice versa. If you are a 2nd stringer, you must have versatiity. Now, I know Harris isn't anything special. But, he can play corner in a pinch. This, in my opinion, was key. I only hope we can land Stone on our PS and let him develop. The man is a rediculous athlete and could be a top-notch safety with some development.

Yep, Harris is as sorry this season as he was last season.

it can't be a football decision because Stone was out there making plays and took over the #2 job behind Milloy over Cooper. Harris wasn't even good enough to barely touch the field at safety. and he did nothing to prove better than Stone. Somebody said he doesn't wrap up? he got the guys down didn't he?ask Anquan Boldin about him. It was actually DeCoud that kept missing tackles and angles.

And no, he failed to wrap-up every time. Again, I loved his head-hunter mentality. But against NFL 1st stringers, this won't play. Watch those preseason hits again. Most (if not all) of the time the player was not taken down by Stone. Sure, he laid a lick on them (something a good safety needs to do) but he never made any of those hits tackles.

DeCoud's only bright spot in the last preseason game was his INT. Other than that. he couldn't cover his own feet with socks and shoes.

Stone was looking like our best safety, aside from Milloy.

mr purple, PLEASE do not put MLK in the same category as Obama.

My God, I have incredible utmost respect for the honorable MLK and Obama is nothing but a well spoken phony that is deep high in cronyism. Obama won't give a gdam straight answer on anything. These two men are worlds apart.

And no, he failed to wrap-up every time. Again, I loved his head-hunter mentality. But against NFL 1st stringers, this won't play. Watch those preseason hits again. Most (if not all) of the time the player was not taken down by Stone. Sure, he laid a lick on them (something a good safety needs to do) but he never made any of those hits tackles.

did u miss when he played last year? those weren't pre-season games. I've seen him come from the opposite side of the field to make a TD saving WRAP UP tackle on Stephen Jackson. U have to wrap that guy up. Stone can wrap up so don't even try to argue because you're wrong. Was DeCoud wrapping up while missing all those tackles safeties HAVE to make,which is their main job,to be the last line of defense? Was Stone not getting the ball carriers on the turf?

mr purple, PLEASE do not put MLK in the same category as Obama.

My God, I have incredible utmost respect for the honorable MLK and Obama is nothing but a well spoken phony that is deep high in cronyism. Obama won't give a gdam straight answer on anything. These two men are worlds apart.

go away, we're talking football here